1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Shut up and take my money.

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Xerxes, May 25, 2012.

1. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

We have to do Christmas with S's family this year. I haven't had to do Christmas shopping in five years. Crap. And they're Jewish, wtf!

• Like Like x 1
  2. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

If it makes you happy, babe, I don't care.
    It's just the way I was raised. I think I would feel literally sick to my stomach if I spent a lot of money on an item that is *to me* just as well furnished with another that costs a fraction of the money. Such as a used or generic item. I understand and appreciate the value of higher quality items. But I also understand that a higher price tag very often does not equate with higher quality.

3. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I somehow posted that too soon.... I'm slowly becoming better with spending the money on items IF the quality truly does justify the price. The Dyson vacuum? TOTALLY worth the price. The Victoria's Secret bra? Maybe worth it, but I've yet to find ones that work better for me... still trips me up, though, paying $50 for a freaking bra.

It's taken me a really long time to get there, though. My car taught me that. We spent a little more for the TDI than we could have gotten on a Civic or something... but at 41K miles in 2 years, there's not a rattle, a problem, or anything more than oil changes every 10K miles to worry about now. The Vibe had a rattle from the first month,. drove me freaking crazy. I'll also spend a little more on things that are related to my health and well-being. A better gym where I can be more consistent and NOT get MRSA again, quality sunglasses and eye glasses that help mediate the headache and eye strain, organic foods when possible and appropriate, and actual name-brand vitamins. Other than that, I don't usually spend money on higher priced items... I leave that to the man. I grumbled about $75 for a shredder... until he reminded me that we've gone through more than one $30 one.

4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Yep.

I'm glad I got my Dyson as a gift, but I love that thing.

5. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

Fuck Dyson.

It might work on that little bit of cat hair you guys have but it doesn't do shit with two GSDs in the house. The Kenmore completely annihilated the Dyson performance and cost wise in this house. :shrug:

mixedmedia I know you don't care ;) I just always tend to buy overpriced clothing and cars but am frugal in other parts of my finances. I guess we all have our weaknesses, it's just learning to control them that's important.

As far as the OP goes, it's rare that I buy something that I didn't already want anyway. Most of the time I'm less likely to buy if I'm approached by a salesperson so while it appears I'm acting on impulse, I was gonna buy it anyway the only question was from whom. :shrug: The only thing that always gets me in a true impulse sense are coats and belts. I swear they're like goddamn crack.

6. snowy

I like my Dyson because it's maneuverable, has great suction, and an easy to whip out crevice tool. It's knacky, that thing. I can change floors and stop the brush with a button press--and the button is conveniently placed, not down on the unit like my old Eureka. And one of my cats is a fluffball who rolls around everywhere. It really proved its worth moving into this place, as the last people had a dog, and it pulled up bucket after bucket of dog hair. Ewww. It's also easy to take apart in case there is a clog.

7. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

Wow, couldn't disagree more. In the world of TV's there are two brands that take the cake in terms of quality. LG and Samsung Rank number one. They're very good. Go to your local walmart or Best Buy and plug in your phone with a micro-HDMI cable to either one and see the difference.

Let me break down how I rank types of TV's.
    1. LED's picture quality comes a close second to Plasma. If your going to buy anything over 40" go LED over LCD.
    2. LCD ranks second and LCD is commonly leagues cheaper so never buy a LED under 40" because you will almost always not be able to tell the difference.
    3. Plasma is obviously the best in picture quality. Why isn't it number one? Because of angle view is distorted (when you look at the TV from the side) and the there's the burn in issue which hasn't really been addressed. Granted if you're a responsible person this might not affect you but the fact that it has a possibility of happening is what makes it a deal breaker. There's the issue of power requirements. Plasma for some reason needs a lot of damn juice in order to run. And lastly, the propensity for damage. Plasma's as a whole break more often than LCD's.

The refresh rate issue is bullshit. They're all the same.

As for Brands:
    Samsung & LG are a tie at number one. Samsung is obviously more aesthetic but we need function over looks.
    Sanyo.
    Sony.
    THEN Panasonic. You might be a Panasonic fanboy, Glory's Sun but the color is dull and obviously dimmer. They did well with Cathode Ray Tubes (Old CRT TV's) but now they're falling behind.

Before you purchase a TV, go to the store and look at the store displays. They've been running for over 100 hours straight and you will get to know what your TV is going to be like after a couple of months. Ask the attendant to hook something up to it if you don't have a video clip of your own. I spend hours searching for the right electronics to buy with this method. It frustrates people.

Also, look at this wild card here, there's just no saving her extravagant ways!
    You spent HOW MUCH without planning for it? Geez GG! We TALKED about this! You can be SO irresponsible sometimes!

8. Random McRandom

Xerxes You've clearly lost your fucking mind.

Go ahead and go look at the store displays and make your decision based on that. I mean, because you know, they have them calibrated correctly right? I mean I'm sure they know that you aren't supposed to run a plasma at 100% capability for the first 15-20 hours right? They aren't just over-worked, non-exempt employees who just throw 'em up and plug 'em in right? :rolleyes:

I don't care who sells more than the other. I don't care which one is slimmer. I don't care which one has one extra HDMI. When you take everything into consideration, the Panny Plasma series (anything higher than the S1 models) blow everything else out of the water. The infinite black levels create a better and truer color pattern and display - oh and yeah, the infinite white levels don't hurt either. Oh what's that? Samsung's black levels are no where near as true or as accurate as Panny? Oh, wait, they're number 1...nevermind the tech stuff.

Clearly you have no clue what you're on about if you say the refresh rate issue is bullshit. The lower the refresh the more pixelization and distortion you will get on anything in motion. I guess if you're just watching soap operas, you'll never notice it, but if you watch sports or I dunno movies, you'll tend to notice it pretty heavily.

You also clearly don't know what you're on about by bringing up burn issues. Um, yeah. That shit was taken care of years ago. I bet you probably still think you can't lay a plasma flat too right? *snicker*

So, yeah, sorry to disagree with you completely, but your shopping method is whack and your data is beyond flawed.
    But keep telling yourself that that fancy LED with a 60Hz refresh is just as good as that Panny G10 with a 600Hz sub.

Whatever blows your skirt, man.

snowy - Yeah, we bought into the Dyson hype long time ago and it just didn't work anywhere near as well as the kenmore we bought. Everything on ours is simple and easy to access and has fancy buttons too and it cost about $300 less. :shrug: Whatever works for you is fine by me though ;)

9. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I sold cameras for a few years. Most of the major brands. I would without fail actively talk people out of choosing a Samsung camera.

Crap.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Samsung still awesome, bros.

11. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

The only thing I've had from Samsung that showed any quality is my Galaxy SIII. Everything else has crapped out in no time.
    And I adore my Dyson's ease of use and the power. The humidity is so bad here that the cat litter that somehow flies around the entire condo, can stick or get into every crevice of the whole place. The first time we used it, it pulled four tankfulls of crap out of the three rooms and the stairs. I'm impressed with what it can get out of our strange carpets. Whatever works for you in the vacuum area, though.

I was thinking about it... and the hard sell that I will resist with every part of my body is new textbooks. I will not spend $240 for neuropsych texts that I'm not going to open again after grad school, no matter how hard the Wiley guy tries. It's just not going to happen. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. snowy

What I find hilariously funny is when I can buy the same textbook new on Amazon for the used price in the bookstore. And I hate Pearson. Almost all of my books this term are Pearson books. :(

13. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

You'd want McGraw Hill instead?

My former Marketing professor would be all over you for that. :D

14. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

You don't get Pearson discounts? I stick with Amazon and half.com. And I sell them back to Amazon if I don't need them again. There just aren't that many books worth that much to me. My Steadman's was... and my health psych texts were almost worth the price. But the rest are bullshit.

15. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I don't pretend to be an expert on televisions, but I've been quite happy with my 40" LED. Perhaps it's a case of ignorance being bliss.

I think most people would think I overspend on electronics anyway, so probably best that I just ignore the TV situation. I'm gadget geek and I can't help myself. It's taking a lot of self control to not order a Nexus 4, here.

16. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I have Samsung A/C's- two of them. Both mini-spilt inverter with plasma ion types. They use less, way less energy the standard A/C's. I also have a couple Samsung LED flat screen tv's. I'm very happy with all of them. I have no idea if their better or worse then any other brand. I do know for the last A/C's I owned Samsung here will stand by their warranty. Here that's huge. I had a pair of Samsung A/C's at the beach house, they were five years old. The compressor went out on one and the main board went out on the other. Both within the warranty period. Samsung came out each time I called the. The one with the board issue they replaced the board and had it back running within an hour. When the other stopped working they came out and it took longer, they said it's the compressor, we'll need to get a work order from the main office, we'll get back to you. That night a lady called me from Mexico City, asked a few question, where I bought etc... She said "Ok, I'll send a crew out tomorrow to replace the unit. We've found once the compressor goes this fast there could be other problems, its easier for us and better for you to just replace the whole unit. The next afternoon I had a brand new, year newer model, A/c working in my house.

I had a LG plamsa flat screen I bought last Jan. right after Christmas. Lasted less then 5 months and it just went "pop" one day and went black. I called LG... three times. They finally sent a guy out who said 'yeah, these plasma's need to be in a cool place, this one been run in the heat too often. That's not covered by the warranty you'll have ot pay for the repairs. $450... I paid $650 for the TV. I told him "forget it." And that's the last LG product I'll probably ever own.

17. snowy

Nope, no discounts that I am aware of. I tend to hang on to a lot of my texts. I still use a lot of them. I really wish I hadn't sold my nutrition books.

18. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I loaned someone a Biology text book 20 years ago and never got it back. I still miss that book, lots of info easy to find. Of course now with the net you can look up just about anything.

I also miss a bunch of auto repair manuals I either lost, sold or gave away over the years.

19. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

Glory's Sun, dude, you can be as aggressive as you want when responding to a post about TV's, but it won't change much.
    Might be anecdotal evidence, but Samsung & LG electronics (TV, BluRay Player & Home Theater System) have not failed 7 people who've purchased them on my personal recommendation overe the last 5 years. I'm more of a skeptic than you are. I give all electronics a year before they fail and depending on the household they almost always do.
    That's the point. I expect the floor models to be poorly set up. Just thrown on there and turned on. That's the best kind of TV for gauging how your quality will be when the kids get a hold of the remote.
    I love how you say heavily in there like you've never seen a youtube video or something. Anyway ... here's a brief article explaining what exactly Hz is.
    Ooooohhh, condescension! My good lord! How that surely makes me angry as my temples throb with frustration at how little respect I get from this random stranger oin the internet. My jimmies are rustled!
    Are you really? Are ya?

20. Random McRandom

Xerxes

You've clearly missed the entire point.

The article you posted just shows how plasmas work and even in that article it says that plasmas have zero problems with jitters etc. The article it links to also shows that when it comes to LCD/LED that the higher Hz does, in fact, mean better quality. So, you've claimed that the Hz argument is bullshit and by your own evidence submission we find that to be wrong. If you want a LCD/LED - I don't really give a shit, but don't claim that a 60Hz is just as good as a 240Hz because it's simply not true.

Also,

FUUUUUUUUUCCKK.

Instead of throwing sarcasm at you next time, I'll hold your hand while we walk through candy cane lane before taking a bite from a chocolate lamppost while we laugh and skip and talk about Hz. and head towards the FlatScreenCity.