1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Shut up and take my money.

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Xerxes, May 25, 2012.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

+1 on Panny Plasmas. Did a ton of research, including on dedicated A/V Forums before deciding. Couldn't be happier.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

No plasma for me, too many problems at my elevation (8600'). I'm aware that NEC sells one that is rated to 9000'; my neighbor has gone through 3 of them.

I looked at a lot of TVs under a lot of circumstances and my preference always said Samsung or Sony. We've had a 120Hz LED Samsung for several years and are very happy. We couldn't see a difference between 120Hz and 240.

It's a silly argument. People have different priorities. I wanted blacks that were absolutely black, not grey. Whites that were white and colors that were not oversaturated. I clearly cannot see the difference between 120Hz and 240.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I bought the 42" Insignia plasma that Borla recommended to me like two years ago and I couldn't be happier.

His recommendation plus a little research totally sold me on a ~$400 purchase in like five minutes.

/hat tip to Borla

• Like Like x 2
  4. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

absolute blacks/whites are vital. This is one area that Panny destroys Samsung and LG in the Plasma world - but that's pointless for you due to elevation issues so it's a moot point in your case.

Most people probably can't see the difference between 120/240 Hz. That wasn't the basis of my argument, but *I* can see the difference. I stare at video every day and the slightest problem catches my eye... so while I acknowledge that most people won't notice some slight jitter or frame stutter or even a bad key here and there, it's something that makes it unwatchable for me - especially in 24 mode. However, I think if you put a 60Hz next to a 240 Hz with an action film or even a high poly animation playing, you'd certainly notice and be distracted by it.

:shrug:

Borla - same here. The A/V forum crowd can get feisty over their preferred technology though ;)

Back to the original point of this thread

I bought yet another coat yesterday.

BUT!!! To offset my guilt and shame I purchased 3 coats to donate to Coats for Children.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Gotta say, I get pretty excited when you guys start arguing about technology with all this generic nerdbabble and A/V jargon.

I only wish we were all together at a bar or in some guy's basement so that things would escalate to a drunken shoving match.

• Like Like x 3
  6. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I'd pay to watch that drunken shoving match.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Innocentmiss

Innocentmiss Getting Tilted

On topic - I never get sucked into buying anything, it used to give me the shivers when a sales person tried to sell to me. It got to the point I started avoiding more and more shops and I love window shopping, eventually I made up a new game! Go into a shop where you know more about the products that the sales people (for me this is any technology shop) when browsing wait to be pounced on, once pounced on proceed to ask awkward questions, or questions that bring up common misconceptions and basically get the sale person to talk shit, get them to confirm their claims then finally inform them they are talking shit then walk out! In one shop there was two mp3 players one white and one black - identical models apart from the case cover - the sales info on the price tag on the white one reported the storage capacity was 1024 and the black one said 1GB. You guessed it the sales assistant insisted the white one was better much much better as it had larger storage!

8. The nerve of that sales assistant, everyone knows the black ones are larger! Ha!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

A couple days ago, SO and I went shopping. Bought a massive, supersexy vacuum... and a Wet&Dry hand-held one to go with it.

The lazy man's vacuum.

10. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

• Like Like x 1
  11. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

Haha I just spent $150 or so on a pair of Oakley Ducatti sunglasses at the Ala Moana Shopping Center, also at a Sunglass Hut lol... I meant to do it though, since I've never owned a truly nice pair of sunglasses (never a pair that costed mre than about $20-$30, mostly just Dockers and stuff), and I recently became single, so I thought, "Sure, why not - it'll be part of redefining my identity in the world." I'm happy with my purchase, as it's symbolic :)

12. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Oakley Ducati could be anything from the real deal that will survive serious abuse to the cheap plastic ones that are just made so people can wear them on the back of their head.

13. OtherSyde

No the brand is Oakley, and they have the word DUCATTI printed along the bottom-right of the right lens. They're real Oakley, I got the warranty and everything.

14. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

The very fast, high performance motorcycle is spelled with a single t. Ducati North America

15. OtherSyde

Oh... I misspelled it. I don't have them in front of me. TBH it wasn't a selling point for me anyway; I'm not a motorcycle person really.

16. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

I got some very nice prescription sunglasses from Costco. My eyes are relatively sensitive to sunlight.

The glasses were around $200, but they would be much cheaper for almost anybody else. (1) My prescription is expensive due to astigmatism, graduated bifocals, etc. etc. (2) Because of the abnormal size of my head, I need much larger than standard frames, which are scarce and more expensive than ordinary frames. (3) The upsizing also increases the size and raises the cost of the lenses.

17. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Astigmatism, unlined bifocals, & an oversized head here as well. In the very near future I'm getting my eyes examined and at the very least will get new lenses for my clear glasses. I really need to get my sunglasses updated as well, but that'll depend on the cost. I got both frames from Sam's Optical, and they can do the lenses without needing the frames. Unlike some folks, I don't change frames as often as I change underwear.

I'm not an impulse buyer, and I've yet to meet a sales associate who could talk me into buying anything that I had no intention of buying.

18. Street Pattern

It's not their fault. The eyeglass frames industry has been just vicious for decades.

Every frame is discontinued as soon as somebody buys one. If you buy a pair of glasses and come back next week and want another identical pair for backup, too late, sorry, that would be impossible, no, no, those frames are totally "out of style" now, even though we sold you some last week. You have to choose one of these "modern" frames, and no, we're not going to mention they're not even made in your size, we'd rather just sell you a pair that doesn't fit, and giggle behind your back at how stupid you look.

Plus, they'll lie and tell you it's illegal to re-use your old frames. Or they will say it's against "policy" to let you do that. Or they will say that old frames are too "brittle" to re-use. Or they will insist that you give them your old glasses, so you'd have to live for weeks without them while the new lenses are made. Sorry! That's the eyeglass industry model of customer service.

As long as I can remember, I have held a deep and abiding hatred for the grinning crooks and sadists who manufacture and market eyeglass frames.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  19. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I'm hoping that Sam's still has my frames in the computer, I've had the frames for around seven years, and it's been about three years since I changed prescriptions. I can't do contacts, except for relatively short periods of time, because my dry eyes and droopy eyelids don't play well with toric lenses.

It's the profit margins on frames that drive me crazy. There is absolutely no fucking way eyeglass frames should be that expensive, and I don't mean just the designer frames.

20. Street Pattern

I forgot to mention that.