1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

SIG SAUER: ACP – Adaptive Carbine Platform

Discussion in 'Tilted Weaponry' started by cynthetiq, Jun 6, 2012.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Maybe I've been playing too many COD FPS games, it looks cool, but does it make it better?

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NK8gKaEGSQ0
    New from SIG SAUER: ACP – Adaptive Carbine Platform | | The Truth About GunsThe Truth About Guns

2. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Thanks for starting a thread here, cynthetiq. You always look out for us.

I've been busy doing a lot of nothing and neglecting Tilted Weaponry.

No. It's been done before (for two centuries, at least) and I'll tell you all about why this and things like this are basically full retard.

A lot of people have this weird fetish with handguns. Maybe it's because they're easily carried. Maybe it's because they're dick-sized.

Who the fuck knows?

Pistols-with-stocks have been around for a long time. The first notable modern example of this breed was the old Mauser C96. H&K (those snooty bastards) tried to revamp the idea in the '70s as an add-on to the world's first polymer pistol, the VP-70. These quirky gizmos never really caught on because they remove the primary advantage of the pistol (small size) while creating a rifle-sized weapon that has a whole bunch of handicaps.

Problem with pistols-with-stocks:
    - Pistol ammo power / range in a rifle-size weapon.
    - Same short sight radius (more difficult to aim).
    - Same short barrel (less power / accuracy).
    - Awkward/impossible to holster, requires a sling.

On top of all that, it still requires the pain-in-the-ass $200 ATF tax stamp / legal hoop-jumping / waiting-forever process. What's all that mean? Well, in case you didn't already know, it is illegal for a civvie to have a weapon with a rifle stock that is under 26" overall unless you go through this whole contrived process with the BATFE. The police and military don't have to do this, but why would they choose this piece of junk over an M4 anyway?

Now, submachine guns and pistol-caliber carbines are in a similar but separate category. Weapons such as the popular H&K MP5 were designed to be compact shoulder-fired weapons using pistol ammunition. Civilian guns like the Marlin Camp Carbine provide you with a compact weapon that uses the same ammunition and magazines as your sidearm. Pistol-caliber ARs, such as the Colt 6450 (9mm, uses Uzi magazines) are another option for those in the market for a higher-end PCC. Still, none of these platforms is as useful as a modern rifle-caliber carbine with detachable magazine.

The power/range to weight/size ratio makes these things essentially fun range toys and little else. They're dorky fashion accessories for your pistol. Either get a full size pistol caliber carbine (if you must), or better yet, get a legit rifle-caliber carbine in 5.56x45mm / 5.45x39mm / 7.62x39mm.

For the money you'll spend on buying the pistol / magazines / carbine frame / optic / SBR paperwork... you'd be waaay better off getting the much more useful 10" SBR AR. The compact AR platform is a 100% better choice based in both gun-for-money and tactical adaptability departments.

Still, if you're dead-set on getting the most range and accuracy out of your pistol, you'd be better off purchasing a full size pistol with a red dot optic.

Gun Philosophy 101: If you need a pistol to do the job of a rifle, go get a fucking rifle. I'm a totally shitty shot and I can hit a man-sized target in the sternum at xx yards off hand with a compact pistol under stress. Do the math: a pistol can solve a lot of problems, but get a rifle if you need a rifle.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ChrisJericho

ChrisJericho Careless whisper

My main concern:

How do I clear a double feed ????!! I need a magpul video to show me how !!!

4. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Yeah, I didn't even touch on how these things fuck up your manual of arms / malfunction drills.

You've got your Glock drills / AR drills... now you need a third set of drills for this piece of shit?

Looks like this thing has a non-reciprocating charging handle on the 9 o'clock, a "slide pusher."

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012