1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Sirloin Tip Roast on the grill. Nom nom nom nom w/pics.

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I made a roast today that I thought I'd share with TFP. Mainly because it was pure awesomeness. ;)

Ingredients:
    1 3.5lb sirloin tip roast
    2 tablespoons seasoned salt
    1 tablespoon sweet paprika
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    I rubbed the roast and let it sit at room temp for about 4 hours. In the meantime I made a homemade horseradish sauce.
    1 part mayo
    1 part prepared horseradish
    Dash of lemon juice
    Add minced garlic, salt, and pepper to taste

[​IMG]

After letting all of that marinate for several hours (would love to do it again with the roast sitting in that rub for a couple days!), I fired up the Big Green Egg, purposefully getting the area near the front vent hotter so that I could offset the roast from the hottest part of the grill once it was seared. I got it up to about 600*, then seared the roast for about 2-3 minutes per side.
    [​IMG]
    After that I adjusted the temp down to about 400* and moved the roast over the cooler portion of the cooking surface. It took about 35 minutes (flipped it once) to get it to 120* in the center.
    [​IMG]
    After that I let it rest for about 12-15 minutes, then started slicing it thinly against the grain. Here is a pic of about half of the roast, after I've already sliced the other half up and put most of it on sandwiches. As you can see, it's a nice medium rare in the center, but with good bark on the outside.
    [​IMG]
    This picture turned out poorly, but it's of a sandwich with the beef on it. I took a whole wheat roll, added the horseradish sauce from above, lots of good grilled beef, then topped with thinly sliced white onion, tomato, and lettuce.

[​IMG]
    It was freaking delicious!! Seriously, it was out of this world.

One of my neighbors who is really cool and friendly (and delivers cherry wood to me for free for use on my smoker) was in his backyard. I told him what I was making and asked him if he wanted to try it. He went crazy over it. My wife loved it. I think it's probably one of the best roast recipes that I've ever done, it was that good.

It was the perfect combination of good beef flavor, and the great grilled bark added a ton of flavor. For the most part I trimmed out the big pieces of fat before putting it on a sandwich, but I always left the edge where the bark was in. *drool* Great stuff, highly recommended, and it was actually pretty easy to do. If you can grill a burger or a chicken thigh, you can do this.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Fly

Fly music is the answer

nothin' like a killer cut of meat man........that looks damn fine.

.......and the blood is to die for. :D

3. BadNick

BadNick Getting Tilted

That looks pretty excellent ...in fact, stupendous!

4. Why don't I have neighbors like you?

That looks absolutely wonderful.

5. Borla

Thanks all. It was truly fantastic, and I don't say that lightly. :cool:

There are a handful of people who can REALLY impact your quality of life day in and day out. Your neighbors are one of them. I am fortunate enough to have pretty good ones. I figure I'm doing myself a favor to contribute to that continuing, right? :D

• Like Like x 3
  6. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

You should be glad I didn't see this earlier and try to figure out which Metra train you're closest to!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Borla

LOL!! :p

I'm a bit too far south and west for that to make sense.

8. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

Let this board be a testament.... I have gone further for less!! But seriously - congrats on having a pleasurable cooking experience from beginning to end!

9. Borla

I consider myself warned. ;)

10. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

looks yummy!

11. Borla

This was so good that I'm making it again tonight when the SIL and BIL are here.

12. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

Damn... that looks really good....

13. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Well done, brother.

14. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

I had to come back and have another look. This pic just does it for me...

[​IMG]

Look at how perfectly cooked and juicy that meat is. My gawd. I hope roasts go on sale this weekend. I had a craving this past weekend but was nothing decent on sale.

15. Borla

That recipe was incredibly simple. If you decide to get a sirloin tip roast (important to note it is very different from a sirloin roast) and try it, let me know if you have any questions. :cool:

16. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Is a sirloin tip roast similar to a tri-tip?

17. Borla

Yes, they basically connect. You could probably do a tri-tip the same way and it would turn out fine.

• Like Like x 1
  18. sandman61

sandman61 New Member

awesome job, throw a pork shoulder roast in the same marinade and offset cook it for a few hours,pull add your fav bbq and then its sandwich heaven...nice job

19. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Did you rest that meat long enough? All that juice spilling out suggests you might have rested it a little longer.

20. Borla

About 12-14 mins. Keep in mind that is several pounds of meat thin sliced too, which makes it look like a lot of juice.

And I was starving. :p