1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Slow Cooking

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Zyr, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'm sorry, man, but this is really naive of you to say. It's as though you've never heard of masala before.

3. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

i've eaten this mah-sah-luh concoction that you speak of and i still find it to be comically inferior to the native chilis of north america

4. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Chili is good but this truly is the stuff of the gods.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Baraka_Guru

Heretic!

6. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Lentil Soup

3 carrots, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    2 celery stalks, chopped
    1 leek, chopped
    2 cups Puy lentils (French Green)
    2 cloves garlic
    4 shakes Spike salt free seasoning
    2 tsp. Braggs liquid aminos

Combine everything, cover with water. Cook on high 4 hours.

7. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

One thing I love about my slow cooker is it makes it easy to keep it simple.

Chicken tacos or shredded chicken/pork/beef BBQ.
    All of these are remarkably simple.

10-12 hours on low in a broth to match your meat (beef/chicken/vege).
    Pour the broth off.
    Stir still shredded with a large fork or two.
    Add your flavors.

Maybe add a very small about of tomato/pasta sauce to the tacos.

8. passthru

passthru New Member

Funny, I haven't visited in a while but I made lentil soup day before yesterday with what I had on hand.

Layers, from bottom to top:
    2TBSP butter, sliced thin and scattered around
    3 thin leeks or 2 thick leeks, quartered and sliced every 1-2cm
    1 heirloom tomato, chopped into ~1/2in cubes
    16oz of lentils, rinsed
    1 box of low sodium chicken broth (32oz)
    1 bay leaf
    paprika and pepper

Depending on the cooker the bay leaf and paprika/pepper may need to be below the lentils. I set it for 1hr on high, then 7 on low. But only because I threw this together at 2AM. 4 hours is probably enough.

9. Ayashe

Ayashe Getting Tilted

It can take a lot of time/energy for the crock pot to come up to temp. I generally just use regular tap water as usually when I use the crock it is when I am working a long shift (ie 12 hour+) and have no concern about my food being cooked enough by the time I get home. The exception is when I realize on a lazy Sunday morning that a stew would be nice, then I may use hot water to decrease the time the heating time. Some people will set it on high for the first hour or so for similar reasons.

10. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

I gave this a try last week. I soaked some fava beans overnight and then threw them in the slow cooker in the morning. Instead of water I used vegetable stock and I also added some onion, carrot, celery, garlic, fresh thyme as well as salt & pepper.

I left it on low for about 8 hours and then drained and rinsed them - discarded the veggies. I then cubed up some spicy pancetta and fried it till nice and carmelized - drained off most of the fat and then tossed the beans in.

They were pretty tasty but a little undercooked - next time I need to either cook them on high or leave them in for another couple of hours. They were edible but not as soft as I would have liked.

I'll definately give it a try again.

Anyone have any good lentils recipes for the slow cooker? I have a couple of bags in the basement left over from a catering thing where I just made a salad with them.

11. My ex bf bought me a crock pot for Christmas. That didn't bother me. What bothered me was that it was actually a gift for himself until he found out that his sister was getting him one for Christmas....a better one. So his crockpot just ended up being my present. Not a big deal since I knew deep down inside that we would never be mingling appliances.

/bitter reply

I use mine to cook black beans. In the morning I throw in some onion, garlic, peppers (Serrano is my choice) and cilantro and put on low. They are perfect for dinner.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Mother of God.

LOL!

13. snowy

One of my missions this fall is to use the slow cooker more often for full meals instead of just beans. I am looking at retooling some of my stovetop recipes for the slow cooker. As I do that, I'll be sure to post them here.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Baraka_Guru

I have this in the slow cooker this morning:

CROCKPOT SWEET POTATO LENTILS
    Author: Pinch of Yum

Serves: 6-8

INGREDIENTS
    • 3 large sweet potatoes, diced (about 6 cups)
    • 3 cups vegetable broth
    • 1 onion, minced
    • 4 cloves garlic, minced
    • 2 teaspoon each ground coriander, garam masala, and chili powder
    • ½ teaspoon salt
    • 1½ cups uncooked red lentils (masoor dal)
    • 1 can coconut milk
    • 1 cup water
    INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Place the sweet potatoes, vegetable broth, onion, garlic, and spices in a crockpot. Cook on high for 3 hours, until vegetables are soft.
    2. Add the lentils and stir once. Replace the lid and cook on high for an additional 1½ hours.
    3. Stir in the coconut milk and as much water as needed to get the right consistency.
    Crockpot Sweet Potato Lentils - Pinch of Yum

Unfortunately, my local grocery store has way more of a selection of beans than it does lentils. I had to grab split fava beans instead of red lentils. (Yes, it's the closest substitute I could find.) I'm going to put the split beans in an hour earlier than is indicated for the red lentils.

I'm now going to keep my eye out for red lentils, because this recipe looks like the bomb.

• Like Like x 1
  15. snowy

Ooooh, that looks really good! I have to go round up some bulk goods today, and I just ran out of my usual lentils. I'll have to give it a try.

Recently, because I was feeling incredibly lazy, I tried Japanese curry in the slow cooker. I love curry rice. I did not use the regular suspects for the curry (potato, carrot, onion, peas) but opted to use a bag of frozen stir fry vegetables. It turned out really well, and only took a couple minutes of prep. Between that and putting the rice in the rice cooker, I spent maybe 5 minutes cooking a perfectly delicious dinner.

Using roux cubes makes it super easy, of course. My favorite is:

[​IMG]

But there's also:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. Baraka_Guru

It's so good (and super easy). I do recommend trying it.

17. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

I've noticed that ATK and Cook's Country have been incorporating more slow cooker recipes of late.

18. snowy

I did, with some minor adjustments, and it was really delicious. I would definitely make it again.

19. Fraeia

Fraeia Getting Tilted

I got a crock pot for Christmas as well and I am LOVING it.

Is it weird that I feel more like a grown up when I eat meals that I make with it?

I like to keep it very simple (as clearly illustrated below). I've made three meals in it so far -

1) Hunk of pork (not sure what it's called, i'm clueless when it comes to meat... it was just a hunk of pork)
    Skin-on chopped up potatoes
    Baby carrots
    Chopped up celery
    A cup of water from the tap
    Ms Dash (original)
    Onion flavoured BBQ sauce
    Shove it all in there, turn it on low, and come home to an amazing meal 9 hours later.

2) Hunk of Beef
    Everything else, same as above
    Again, very yummy. Lots of leftovers.

3) Chicken breasts
    Taco seasoning
    A bit of tap water
    Salsa
    Thin chopped celery
    Grated carrots
    Sour Cream
    Yummmmmmm.

Next i'm gonna try something with gluten free pasta, just not sure what yet.

20. snowy

@Fraeia, I'd be careful with using gluten-free pastas in slow cooking. They might end up being a bit on the gummy side, especially if they're rice-based.

• Like Like x 1