1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Slow Cooking

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Zyr, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Steam Heat

Steam Heat New Member

About six months ago, I discovered this:

[​IMG]

Crockery Gourmet comes in a variety of flavors for different types of meats. My favorite is the beef seasoning mix, which I use to make stroganoff. SUPER easy, inexpensive, and yummy.

1 - 2 lbs. beef, cubed (I use petite sirloin)
    2 cups water mixed with seasoning packet

Put meat and water/seasoning mix in crock pot. Cook for four hours on high or eight hours on low. Mix in 1 cup frozen peas, 1 small can of mushroom stems/pieces, and 1 cup sour cream, and cook for another 10 - 15 minutes.

Pour over cooked egg noodles or rice.

BAM. ;)

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I've been using my slow cooker a lot lately, as it allows me to get the cooking out of the way earlier in the day, and then have dinner ready right when my husband gets home from work.

I tried this stuff with firm tofu last week and it was AMAZING: Rick Bayless | Garlicky Carnitas Slow Cook Sauce | Frontera

[​IMG]
    It was also super easy. All I had to do was cube the tofu up into small (1/2 inch) pieces, dry it in the microwave for 4 minutes (just put the tofu on a couple paper towels to absorb all the water that's going to come out; it'll turn a little yellow, and that's good), then combine the dried tofu (it will still be damp) with the sauce in the Crockpot, and let it cook for a few hours. I put it in the Crockpot at lunchtime and by dinner, the tofu had absorbed a significant amount of season, so it was delicious. I served it as soft taco filling with avocado, a little mozzarella (no queso fresco or cotija on hand), tomatoes, and Romaine lettuce for some crunch.

3. omega

omega Very Tilted

I might have to try that sauce, @snowy. I do like his fajita sauce which I use as a marinade for skirt or hanger steak. I only use my crockpot for braised pot roast and I need to use it for other stuff as well.

4. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

We made pulled pork in the slow cooker Sunday night. Mmmmm

5. My mother always makes her peppered beef. It is a tri tip covered in sliced up pepperoncini peppers. I'll have to get in touch with her for the recipe. Because you need to trim and cook the tri tip a certain way before putting it in the slow cooker.

6. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Chicken broth simmering today

• Like Like x 1
  7. Azharen

Azharen Getting Tilted

Crock Pot Parmesan Honey Pork Roast

Ingredients:
    1 boneless whole pork loin roast (4 pounds)
    2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup honey
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 tablespoons dried basil
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/4 cup cold water

Directions:
    Cut roast in half. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the cheese, honey, soy sauce, basil, garlic, oil and salt; pour over pork. Cover and cook on low for 5-1/2 to 6 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.
    Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice roast; serve with gravy.
    Yield: 10 servings.
    Nutritional Facts:
    5 ounces cooked pork with 3 tablespoons gravy equals 330 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 529 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 38 g protein.

• Like Like x 1
  8. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Well, lookie who stopped by!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Azharen

Azharen Getting Tilted

I was shamed back in to being a participant. :)

• Like Like x 3
  10. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I didn't shame you. Or did I?

11. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Great to see you, whatever the reason.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Azharen

Azharen Getting Tilted

SLOW COOKED BACON CHEESE POTATOES
    *Can be cooked in the oven - 200c for an hour, covered.

Ingredients

200g bacon, diced
    2 medium onions, thinly sliced
    4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
    225g cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
    salt and pepper
    butter
    Spring Onions (optional)

Instructions
    1. Line slow cooker with tinfoil, leaving enough to cover the potatoes when finished.
    2. Layer half each of the bacon, onions, potatoes and cheese. Season to taste and dot with butter.
    3. Repeat layers of bacon, onions, potatoes and cheese. Dot with butter.
    4. Cover with remaining foil.
    5. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours

• Like Like x 1