1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Smelly Stuff (the Good Kind): What's your favorite?

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Japchae, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

So, I'm looking for something that smells good one me.
    Something I can tolerate, first of all (read: doesn't choke me or make me break out), and something that other people find tolerable as well. I can't wear them to work, so it's mostly for my personal time. Wait... I mean like off-work time, not hang-a-sock-on-the-doorknob time.
    I have difficulties with perfume and cologne as they tend to be strong at first and then fade.
    Therefore, I'm looking for something in the eau de toilette or mild oil or lotion based, I think.

I used to be a Bath and Body Works whore. I'd have three sets of scented stuff to choose from at any given time... typically Coconut Lime, something mild musk or basil or herbal based, and something very, very light vanilla-y. After Accutane, my whole body went to hell in sensitivity, so I went back to Body Shop and their Hemp products. I used to love the Tobacco Flower scent... that should tell anyone familiar how long it's been since I wore a scent regularly (~8 years or so?). I definitely prefer the more natural smells to perfumy... and I can't do patchouli or sandalwood because of my asthma.
    I'm a total pain in the ass, ha ha. That's why I'm wondering what other people choose.

So, I'm curious, ladies, what you choose to wear, and from guys, what smells good on other people?
    What turns your head when someone walks by?
    Do you prefer perfumy smells or natural-based smelly stuff?

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

The Sleep oil from Bath and Body Works is pretty mild. My husband is really sensitive to smells, so I have to be very particular about what I choose, and it doesn't seem to bother him too much. I have the Lavender Vanilla kind.

Pacifica makes a whole line of solid perfumes in various scents that I love: Natural Solid Perfumes | Pacifica Perfume I have their sandalwood, and intend to get their Persian Rose. I like them because they smell natural, and the solid perfume means that it stays on but it isn't too strong. My husband doesn't complain about this one either.

You might also try something pheromone-based, like the Pure Romance Sex Attractant stuff. It doesn't actually really have a smell--it just makes your natural smell stronger. I think it makes me smell really good, and because it has no inherent scent, it doesn't bug my husband at all. Win-win.

3. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

Stetson on a guy with the right body chemistry will turn my head. Every time. I think that is half the equation - what smells good on some people doesn't smell the same on others.

I tend to use coconut oil with a little bit of oil essence for my skin, and that tends to have a light scent. I like that I can mix it up a little based on what I like. I really liked Bath & Body Work's Sandalwood Rose, way back when they had it (2003-2004). I tend to Avoid B&BW because I have a very consistent trend of falling in love with scents that get discontinued.

Check out Ulta if you are looking for more than just perfume options - they have The Body Shop as well as many others in a variety of forms.

4. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I'm not big into scents. I have a black currant/vanilla spray and a eucalyptus/spearmint spray both from bath and body works. I've had them forever, though. Can't say whether either of them are still made. I like the way they smell though.

5. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Apparently my facial expressions in Bath and Body were quite entertaining. Especially the ones that made me cough. I wasn't too impressed. A lot of very similar smells and not a lot of natural smelling stuff.
    The Body Shop was better... Ended up with a lovely Brazil Nut shower cream to try out. I sprayed Shea Butter body spray on myself by accident and it's starting to grow on me a little. We'll see.

6. FreeVerse

FreeVerse Screw Tilted, I'm all the way upside down.

I wear Ysatis by Givenchy, Bijan, Perry Ellis 360°, Halston for Women, or Boucheron.
    on men, I have in the past been partial to Armani."Acqua Di Gio Pour Homme"

7. Misguided

Misguided Vertical

Bpal could be your friend Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab: Potions, Perfumes, and Esoteric Brews Try some of the imps. The trick is to not use too much. (most people use way too much scent). A perfume is for you and maybe an intimate partner, not to be broadcast to the world.
    Some straight essential oils are good also. Jasmine, amber, rose and others. They also wash off easily in case you get tired of them, or your body chemistry changes.

8. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I'm actually not a huge fan of scents-- either for women or for men. Generally, I like women to smell like women, because women smell good. And as long as dudes don't actively smell bad, I'm happy. Mrs. Levite, and the girls I tended to date pre-marriage, all use natural shampoo/conditioner/soap/deodorant, and nearly never wear any scent products.

I had two prior GFs who very occasionally wore essential extract oils. Nothing fancy, no name brand, they just went to the local herbalist/apothecary and got things like cassia oil, pine resin oil, rosemary oil, oil of heather, and so forth. One of those GFs used to buy me an infusion of pine oil, charred cedar, and charred applewood. Basically an oil that smelled like wood fire burning. I kind of liked it-- not enough to wear it all the time, but enough to wear it from time to time when it seemed warranted-- and she fucking loved it. I think my favorites that she and others wore were pine resin oil and cassia oil. They were probably the only scents I've ever enjoyed: I tend to think most perfumes and colognes are overpowering at best, stinky at worst.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I like mild smells. Maybe something that someone might catch a whiff off vaguely from time to time, but it's mostly for me. I like to feel pretty sometimes. And I live in a swelteringly humid climate, moving to one even more so in 2 weeks. So lotions, heavy fragrances, and perfumes magnify and then fade. Or cause you to become like an oil slick.

I showered with the Brazil Nut shower cream and I feel as if I smell like a sugar cookie a bit, but not bad. In thinking about all of this, I realized that I often use a scent to protect me from the scent of others. Nothing blocks the smell of an open MRSA wound like coconut-scented hair conditioner. Seriously. And, being in the South, there are some BAD smells from other people mid-August. Blargh.

Thanks for all the feedback!

• Like Like x 1
  10. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Everything will fade thanks to olfactory habituation. At the end of an 8-hour work day, you won't smell what is obvious to someone who just ran into you. If you want something to prevent yourself from outside smells, scoop a tablespoon or four of Vicks Vaporub into an N99 mask and your coconut conditioner will seem like a Band-Aid on a bullet wound. What do you want to smell like and who do you want to smell you?

11. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

I used to wear Ralph Lauren's Hot every day. It was my favorite scent, but now it's discontinued. Like snowy , I have some Pacifica scents that I really like, they're light and fruity/earthy. I also have the Pure Romance pheromone roll on, and I love it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Talk about redundant....

• Like Like x 3
  13. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I don't really wear scents. I do have an ancient bottle of Channel Egöiste in the cupboard at home. It's probably expired. I used to put a little on every once in a while.

There is a scent that I keep smelling around Singapore, it's a perfume that I could smell every day and wish my wife wore. I don't know what the name of it is and I can't go up to random women on public transit to ask for fear of come off as a creep in need of a new pick up line...

For lack of a better word, it's a spicy scent. It reminds me of a smell from childhood. It smells like the house of one of my Mom's friends.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I have three scents I wear that I like, and I am *super* picky about finding new ones.

Fresh's Fig Apricot: Fresh - FIG APRICOT EAU DE PARFUM - Fresh It hasn't been available (out of stock) for YEARS, and appears to be available again. It's not a very strong fruity scent, a tiny bit musky, and not at all floral. I don't really do floral, gives me a headache. This one I can smell on myself at the end of the day, even. Love it!

TokyoMilk's Sparrow: as seems to be a theme with scents I love, this one seems to be unavailable right now. It's actually a floral, which is unusual for me to like, but it has citrus and rosewood to mellow it out. This one I settled on when I ran out of my bottle of Fig Apricot.

Lush's Dirty solid perfume: this scent is very masculine, but it's clean and I find it helps me focus. It's somewhat of a weak scent, honestly, but since it's a solid perfume I can usually rub my wrists together and get another small increase in intensity if I need it. Their other scents didn't fit me very well, but this one helped me lose a headache one day, so I was hooked. :)

15. Poetry

Poetry Totally Sharky, Complete

When I wear perfume, I only wear Design. I hate wearing fruity or flowery scents.

For men, I'm happy with a lot of things. I have had so many partners that any one that I enjoyed sex and talking with has their scent filed into memory and then any other man wearing that same cologne or aftershave or whatever will get my attention, even if I wouldn't normally be attracted to them. Crazy times.

16. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

The original Body Shop was started a couple of miles from here, and I was a customer when they still only had a handful of shops. It's interesting to see the progression of the shop and brand since it was purchased by a multinational.

Interestingly, I found myself in a branch of Lush a few years ago, and totally loved the whole ethos and almost all of the product range. It was only quite recently when I discovered that Lush was set up in part by a team who left Body Shop when the multinational took over.

If you used to like the "home made" feel of old Body Shop products, you could do a lot worse than to look up your local (if they have one) branch of Lush. I know they're in North America now, and have online ordering too.

17. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Really? I don't think there is one here, but there might be in Houston, where I'll be on Wednesday trying to survive IKEA. Thanks for the tip!

18. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

LUSH Fresh Handmade Cosmetics | USA

900 Gessner Rd
    Houston
    +1 713-467-5876

2000 Willowbrook Dr
    Houston
    +1 832-237-5874

19. curiousbear

curiousbear Terse & Bizarre

The smell in bathroom just after she had taken shower - could be the soap

Not a fan of scent/perfumes

I love the smell of my semen

20. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

I love the smell of my wife. Anytime even first thing in the morning and after sex

• Like Like x 1