1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

So what will happen when intelligent life is discovered?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Craven Morehead, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

2. Doris

Doris Getting Tilted

Speaking of deep waters, a scientific writer was interviewed for tv some time ago. He was willing to believe the observations about sea creatures or monsters made by many sailors in the past might have been real. He rationalized this by claiming these days the creatures don't come near to powerdriven ships, whereas previously used sailing ships might have stayed in place in calm weather for longer periods and the creatures would show themselves.

3. issmmm

issmmm Getting Tilted

150,000 year ago warriors from our father planet Xenion, after nearly losing a battle with the Aleans decided that it would be in our races best interest to seed another planet just in cast those bastards the Aleans were successful in their millenium long quest to eliminating us. Hurlen the thinker had just completed his new machine he called a Wap drive. So the decision was made to find an outpost far enough away from civilization that we the Offspring would have time to grow.
    It was agreed that it would have to be a planet on the outer arms of the galaxy, because no one really goes there. It was further agreed that contact would be made only in emergant situations or if we didn't develop fast enough and even in a situation like this only the 51 most intelligent of us could talk to them and those 51 would be centralized in an area.
    When the time was right, we would be contacted, as a people gradually. We would be fed news leaks, scientific discoveries and the like until we had grown accostomed to the idea that there could be life other than us. That time is upon us now...gather round brothers and sisters, for it is tiome that I reveal to you that I am 52

do not fear

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joniemack

Thinking back, I swear the original Star Trek series covered this scenario or maybe it was the Twilight Zone.
    We're only limited by that which we can conceive. Don't remember who said that and I'm certainly paraphrasing.

5. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

issmmm got any kool-aid for us?

6. Joniemack

Is that you Heinz 52? Thank Zeus you're still alive. We thought we lost you on Claptrap.

Please respond. We're anxious for news of Xenion's disastrous loss at the hands of the evil Newt Gingrons.

7. issmmm

issmmm Getting Tilted

I am 52
    --- merged: Dec 9, 2011 6:38 AM ---
    alll is well the Newt will be dealt with forthwith

8. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

...is that a no?

9. issmmm

issmmm Getting Tilted

must regenerate
    --- merged: Dec 9, 2011 6:42 AM ---
    kool-aid is for the initiated
    come to the area of the 51

10. pan6467

pan6467 a triangle in a circular world.

Star Trek the Original Motion Picture... that's the whole of it right there V'Ger.
    --- merged: Dec 9, 2011 9:48 AM ---
    If I'm not mistaken that was what the alien race hated about Humans in Babylon 5. Their race was dying and their souls were coming to Earth, instead of being reincarnated on their own planet.

Of course J Micheal Straczynski (a self confessed Atheist), changed the plots around over and over again. That was always a major problem for me with that show, the continuity. But I digress.

--- merged: Dec 9, 2011 10:11 AM ---
    Some very interesting and well thought out replies here. All I can say right now is the more I watch my rabbit, the more I realize the whole thing about Mankind being the only species that has self recognition is BS. If that were true, ALL other animals of the same species would have the same reactions and drives as the others in that species.

Man just got lucky in that we evolved to have that miracle of opposable thumbs. As someone else said, we are just now realizing that some animals we thought were not all that intelligent are in fact quite the opposite and maybe more inteeligent than we are. As Douglass Adams had us only the 3rd highest intelligent creatures on Earth. The others may try to communicate but we just do not recognize their form of communication. They communicate to each other, a rabbit thumping, a horse's whinny, a cows moo, the sounds of whales, dolphins and so on.

I just find that it is far more believable for me personally that we came from other planets, I can't buy into the whole, "Mankind started here and branched out without any true forms of transportation, they crossed the Bering Straits bridge and continued to move deeper into South America or forged their way to Europe and Africa, each developing their own religions and languages. Meanwhile the Egyptians and the Aztecs/Incans each built pyramids around the same time and pointing to the very same places in space. While Stonehenge and Easter Island each were created by 2 very supposedly different civilizations that somehow, someway, mysteriously disappeared.

We only have what the CHURCH and ORGANIZED RELIGIONS have given us as answers. There are books that never made the Bible. If the churches stated that we indeed came from another planet, that Noah's Arc was indeed a space craft that journeyed here. Would we still fear a God? Would we still allow those religions to have the power over us? What if that was Christ's, Mohammed's, Buddha's and all the rests real message? Come on now, what makes more sense, death being death and heaven being more of an enlightened stage or some great land in the SKY where the streets are paved with gold? And if all are equal in "Heaven" then what purpose would materialistic things such as gold serve in Heaven? To give them to the omnipotent being, who could take and create all the gold and jewels he could possibly ever want????

11. Doris

Doris Getting Tilted

My views are same regarding the pyramids, aztecs and such. Very plausible, they got some assistance from out of Earth.

Maybe they even gave us religion to distract us from believing something else? Maybe they only interfered at times, there was plans, but something happened, we were left to carry on from there... Sounds very sci-fi, I have yet my Babylon5 dvd's to rewatch, obviously I didn't get much of the original content, when it was aired on tv.

• Like Like x 1
  12. issmmm

issmmm Getting Tilted

I still beleive that religion and science don't HAVE to be mutually exclusive. The 'astro' science we have to date is largely speculative and most religious thought is conjecture. We don't have genuine evidence for either.

What ever is IS. Whatever happen, happens.
    Prepare for both.

• Like Like x 1
  13. evaderum

evaderum Getting Tilted

Along this line of how intelligent we are, and the possibility of other intelligent life
    I'm reminded of this video

• Like Like x 1
  14. ngdawg

ngdawg Getting Tilted

There had to be an exact mixture of minerals, elements, molecular activity to even begin the process of evolution-I just think the odds of that most perfect mixture existing elsewhere is pretty close to zero.
    Perhaps it's a narrow view-who is to say that some other strange brew can't support or create life? Just because we require oxygen doesn't mean something else does out there. But again, there has to be some sort of "perfect mixture" to make life even happen, regardless of where or how it's sustained.

15. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "perfect mixture." Are you suggesting that there is a single formula required for the beginning of life?

16. Candle

Candle Vertical

I always find these discussions fascinating in that they universally assume we will be the lesser (advanced, intelligent, peaceful, etc.) of the two contact races, and how alien species are anthropomorphized.

The only confident thing I think we can is that there is other life, and that it will be nothing like us.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ngdawg

ngdawg Getting Tilted

No. Did you just read that one part of what I said? I said there has to be SOME SORT of a perfect mixture, not one.

18. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

There was a theory that I came across somewhere that said something like the more specialized a given thing is, the more it has to look a certain way. So, alien civilizations and races may not seem so different after all. If I recall correctly the example used was an internal combustion engine - there is only so much variation you can load into one before it becomes something different and the principals are the same so an internal combustion engine anywhere in the universe will probably not look all that foreign to us, once the initial shock wears off.

I try to think about the same things with regards to the evolution of life, elsewhere. Any aliens we may encounter will likely have evolved to deal with a similar set of circumstances that we have. Medium sized objects, moving at medium speeds. The same sorts of chemistry of life, because those are the elements we have handy in the correct proportions. If certain folks are right an binocular vision and free appendages are useful for the englargement of certain brain regions/functions, then most of those aliens will have forward facing eyes and perhaps even opposable digits like we have(Maybe they'll only have eight fingers instead of 8 or a third arm, who knows.)

The details aren't really that important but perhaps we may likely see some of the major themes repeated.

19. Joniemack

Well, I think we can safely assume that any alien race who manages to travel hundreds of lights year to find us will be more technically advanced than we are. Can a species excel at technology without a high level of intelligence? They might not be any more intelligent than we are though - they may simply be a species that has existed longer with more time to progress through the scientific learning curves. As far as peaceful, it's anyone's guess. I would like to think that the cooperation necessary for this older species to have survived so long and to have developed advanced technology would suggest they probably would be peaceful or at least not hostile, possibly not as hostile as we can be. I suppose it would depend on their motivation for space travel - curiosity about intelligent life in other star systems or the need for new natural and biological resources.

20. Intelligent life at one point on this earth would have consisted of dinosaurs.

Just sayin....