1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

SpaceX Launch

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by cynthetiq, Feb 7, 2018.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I didn't even know it was going to happen yesterday so I missed the live feed. I did watch it about 15 minutes delayed and wow. It was amazing to watch. As a kid I watched Apollo capsule recovery, American-Russian space handshake, and space shuttle launches and landings. The loss of the space shuttle program was saddening to me.

But watching yesterday's launch was just incredible.

View: https://twitter.com/verge/status/960978333159841792

[​IMG]

When the booster rockets fell off back to earth I expected the same things as other launches, recovery from a trawler in the sea.

[​IMG]

I did not expect them to land back safely vertically.

[​IMG]

My jaw was wide open and I think I shouted out, "Wow!"

Next thing that happened with the Tesla Roadster was another amazing moment. Hearing Bowie's Space Oddity was made it like watching a movie. I love cars, this was completely unexpected.

[​IMG]

Space is back baby!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. cynthetiq

[​IMG]

Flat Earthers can suck it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Yes. We saw it! My daughters adored it. Wish we could have been in Cape Canaveral to see it in person, but it was still really fantastic.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

SpaceX is getting better at launches. But, I am wondering why they didn't launch some science experiments for free with that flight. It might have been a 50-50 gamble, but it would have been easy to have included them in the payload bay. Colleges and non-profits (solar sail 2?) might have been able to come up with something practical and to launch for free/cheap.

I am also surprised that the boosters don't use parachutes to slow down, even if they would detach from the parachute a hundred feet above the platform, and let the rocket do the rest. I would think that they could save a lot of fuel (weight) in slowing it down.

I watched the video feed live, but they need to have a flying drone capture video for the remote barge.

5. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I'd think the parachutes would add too many variables in how it landed...the control they have now is from start to finish.

• Like Like x 1
  6. cynthetiq

I'd think also that once you deploy the parachute the gain of using fuel to land is offset by the drag of the parachute. It will create much more variable and complexity to the landing software.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. rogue49

• Like Like x 1
  8. cynthetiq

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

It may be impossible to travel back to solid land close to where it launched from, and I understand that it is hard to guide a parachute, especially a high speed decent one to a specific target. But, those rockets are descending at terminal velocity and the rocket has to counter-act all of that speed.

On Mars our spacecraft usually have parachutes to slow down in the first stage, and then fire rockets or bounce with air bags to land.

10. cynthetiq

I think the whole idea is to make the reusable be immediate after refueling. Having watched this video, I can say without a doubt, removing as many variables as possible like wind and drag are already complicated enough let alone to have pitch and roll included.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2PWKdQzuU8

• Like Like x 1
  11. cynthetiq

12. cynthetiq

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. redux

redux Very Tilted

On the lighter side:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. rogue49

If you release a car into space...can an astronaut ride it back down to Earth...like in the beginning of the movie Heavy Metal??? :cool:

15. redux

redux Very Tilted

[​IMG]

Track Elon Musk's Tesla Roadster On Its Space Odyssey With This Website

In the past week, SpaceX has cemented itself in aerospace history by launching Falcon Heavy — the world’s most powerful rocket — for the first time.

Beyond demonstrating the rocket could actually blast off, SpaceX had some fun by putting Elon Musk’s Tesla Roadster into an orbit around the sun where it would fly by Mars and Earth over and over again.

A few hours after the monumental launch, Musk tweeted that his electric sports car and the crash test dummy he put inside it — named “Starman” — had slightly overshot. The SpaceX CEO said that its path “exceeded Mars orbit and kept going to the Asteroid Belt.”

Musk hasn’t provided a lot more details regarding Starman’s trajectory, but thanks to self-described “space nerd” Ben Pearson, we no longer have to wait for sporadic twitter updates:

Where is Elon Musk's Tesla Roadster with Starman?

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. rogue49

Relax Charlie, I've got an angle... ;)

As usual, Musk is hip and has awesome taste. :cool:

17. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

The whole Space X thing is amazing!
    The rockets landing themselves in position? Wow! I am loving it! E. Musk said he wants manufacturing in space, and I can see how that would be our next step to colonizing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

If Elon Musk decides to expand into robotics and android technology....Dr. Eldon Tryell.

• Like Like x 1
  19. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

We've been talking about this manufacturing in space. And have come to the conclusion that it would have to be additive manufacturing and not subtractive. Maybe some form of 3 D printing.

20. Jozrael New Member

Could you cold weld the remnants together to keep mass efficiency up?