1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Borla, Oct 30, 2012.

1. omega

omega Very Tilted

I am totally sick of the ridiculous cross marketing for star wars. So many food items have star wars crap plastered on it. Not just breakfast cereals either. I think the worst I have seen is nestle coffee mate with r2d2 and Chewbacca on them. Fucking Disney and their cash grab. With the amount of marketing we have to see, these movies better not suck.

2. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

*hides her soups and cereal and mac & cheese & mascara*

The only thing I actually bought myself was the mascara. My aunt and my mom went...a little bit overboard sending me stuff. For the record, the cereal is disgusting.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I have reached the attraction/repulsion crossover point with Star Wars trailers and gossip: I had been eagerly watching teaser trailers and looking at rumor websites. I saw the full international trailer, and now I'm done: no more trailers, no more rumors, no more gossip, no potential spoilers. I am in full avoidance mode until I actually see the movie.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

It's funny, I haven't really encountered that much of this in Singapore (some, just not tonnes). I guess we aren't a target market for on pack ads.

That said, we import 100% of our goods, so I am sure it will start to trickle in before too long.

5. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

I recall how big the marketing blitz was for Star Wars when it was first released in the 70's. Actually I had picked up the paperback and read it through quickly (pulp fiction that it was) and saw in the back cover the "soon to be released motion picture from 20th Century Fox" which got me really excited. Up to then, my main sci-fi fix was Star Trek re-runs, The Starlost tv series and of course Marin Landau in Space 1999.

I bought the sound track to Star Wars before I went to see the movie. A double album by John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra. (here's a rip of that album:
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQYzgi-FelU
    ) All my friends thought I was a nerd. Why would I buy the sound track before seeing the movie? But I was making good coin a the gas bar back then, so why not put the $4.99 down on the double vinyl?

The marketing got so bad, It was still going strong 7 years later. My cousin had Star Wars bed sheets. (to be fair, he was still a teenager, whose parent bought his stuff, and he also had Wayne Gretzky bed sheets).

What I am surprised about is that the franchise has had such persistence.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Lucas made most of his early money on the merchandising rights to Star Wars. The studios didn't see the value in these rights so they let him keep them.

The series has always been about the merchandising and licensing.

7. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

Another TV spot:

BRING IT ON, BABY!

• Like Like x 2
  8. MeltedMetalGlob

So, if you were sitting on the fence about this movie because you didn't want to see it unless there was a Sullustian in it, WONDER NO MORE!

(If that's actually Nien Numb from Return of the Jedi, then the world is my friggin' oyster in about 25 days.)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. MeltedMetalGlob

Well, let's not forget this:

Or this, come to think of it:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Strange.

On free TV I have yet to see anything promoting the next SW movie.

What is it, like XVII?

12. MeltedMetalGlob

Another TV spot with new footage previously unseen!

AND an actual scene from the movie!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  13. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

ZOMG I NEED TO SEE THIS MOVIE NOW BECAUSE I NEED TO

• Like Like x 1
  14. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

15. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

That interview was perfect especially the whole bit about her losing weight and how she flipped it around on the interviewer.
    I'm willing to bet nobody is going to ask that question now knowing they are going to get the spotlight right back on them.
    She is amazing.

16. Borla

I had some vacation time to burn, and my wife is off Friday morning, so we decided to get tickets to an AM showing on Fri. :cool:

17. rogue49

Dads... ;)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. Borla

19. rogue49

It's getting good reviews. :cool:

Don't want to even try to see it until the crowds die down a bit. Say after Xmas. (get all the family and logistics stuff out of the way...priorities, y'know)
    I want to enjoy it, not push it.

20. Borla

Good stuff. Much closer to the originals IMO.