1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Borla, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Snoogans

Snoogans Getting Tilted

Saw it yesterday, IMAX3D. We just got our first IMAX in Sweden, and boy am I glad I waited to see it there.

I'm generally not a 3D supporter, and I still don't like it in close-quarter action scenes(everything gets blurry, and I don't know where to look..), but big shots with huuuge depth were dope as fuck.

It's so fucking good. It's everything i didn't dare to hope for.

I managed to rewatch episodes 1-5 before going, and while ANY Star Wars movie is infinetly times better than no Star Wars movie, 1-3 made me lower my expectations. I mean, I like them. I like the story, characters, visuals.. I don't even really have a problem with Jar-Jar. But they don't make my heart sing "YAAAAAAY!" like 4-6 does.

But today, my heart still sings. Louder than ever.

I somehow managed to stay spoiler-free going in. I saw the(awesome) trailer and some photo from the set, but stayed away from TV-spots etc. And my mind was blown, over and over.

I love every character in this movie. I love everything that happens, and how it happens. I can't think of anything I didn't like about it.

I laughed, I cried, I came. hard.

• Like Like x 3
  2. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I can't do 3D. It makes me hurl. :(

I'll be going to see it again this weekend. Because it's awesome. (kinda sad JJ isn't doing the next one, though, which I never thought I'd say...)

3. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

[Spoilers, but why are you reading this is you haven't watched the movie yet?]

I think it was well made, but there were some flaws with it. First is where did this "first order" come from? Episode 6 ended on a high note, the Republic should have broken apart and episode 7 should have been about the rise of the first order and what happened. I just think it would have been more realistic if a powerful trade federation guy or charismatic leader would have gone to the senate and said that he would rule fairly, but gets corrupted.

Second, the Supreme Leader looks like a tacky typical CGI character from Harry Potter. Have some mystery about who it is and what their intentions are.

The Jedi's Luke were training turned on each other, what happened there? It seems like there should have been an episode 6.5. It would have gone well with the storyline with how the first order came into power.

I did a good job not knowing what was going to happen in the movie. I only knew that there was the BB-8 droid and a black stormtrooper. BB-8 was a great improvement, the internet controversy of the black guy kept coming up in my mind when watching it. I do think that the guy who played Poe should have swapped roles with Fin. The storm troopers were supposed to be clones, when did they start capturing people to convert them into storm troopers? And a janitor...on a city destruction mission...

I didn't realize it until afterwards, but it came close to being a copy of episode 4, with a little 5 thrown in. Just the characters were different. Young person who doesn't realize they have the ability to use the force, droid comes to them with information for the rebellion, evil empire is making sphere shaped super weapon, father and son battle, and another one falls off a walkway.

I didn't know anything about Rey and never saw her before the movie. Her character and story made the movie. But again with the parent getting killed or captured thing...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I loved it. Of course, I went in with fairly low expectations-- in no way expected it to measure up to the original trilogy, for example. So I felt more than satisfied, even though, yes, I saw many of the same flaws and holes that everyone else did.

In terms of getting story and theorizing about background, I found it helpful to have seen the Clone Wars animated series, and possibly even the Rebels animated series as well.

5. CinnamonGirl

Honestly, the intricate details are a bit fuzzy for me now (part of the reason I'm going to see it again), but wasn't it implied (or maybe specified? Seriously, I need to go see this again NOW) that—
    Luke was training Ben Solo when he (Ben) was influenced by Snoke. So basically, Ben went Dark under Luke's watch, so to speak. I can't imagine anything about that was pretty. Supposedly this will be explained more in-depth in Episode VII.

6. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Honestly it seemed like a rerun of the first, on a lesser scale. We all knew Hans Solo was going to die by his Sons hand as soon as he walked out on that bridge. Not really impressed.

7. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Hey y'all without spoiler tags hidey things... Keep on mind that part of the most recent post shows up in tapatalk even if you're avoiding a thread. I'd have been really upset if I'd scrolled past and saw what Popeye just posted. You can avoid that by starring your post five or so lines down. Or quoting another member. Just a heads up.

8. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

At this point, 10 days after it came out, I think the people who wanted to see it have. And those who don't want to know about it should know better than to click on this thread.

I didn't know if Han was going to die or his son was. Or maybe both of them.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  9. CinnamonGirl

That was her point—if you're skimming through new posts on Tapatalk, the first few lines of a post show up whether you click on the thread or not.

Granted, I think most people truly concerned about spoilers have seen the movie OR have taken precautions to avoid them (I stayed off the Internet for two days last week, for example.) But no harm in being polite.

10. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Actually, it's a common courtesy, even if spoilers are expected.
    Just sayin'...

11. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I haven't seen it. I've read the spoilers. No foul because by the time I see it, if I do, it will have been analyzed to death.

But yes, taking precautions with spoilers in common courtesy. And I never knew that about Tapatalk, which is weird because I do sometimes access the TFP via my phone.

12. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

A friend of mine said that she didn't hate the prequels creation of Darth Vader quite as much after the movie because it's clear now that the Dark Side is basically whiny, tantrumy, emo, goth, (at least in its early stages). Although she felt that it wouldn't be that hard to keep kids from turning to Dark Side just by letting them listen to The Smiths and My Chemical Romance then making them go outside and play.

• Like Like x 7
  13. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Relevant:

Emo Kylo Ren twitter account

• Like Like x 4
  14. CinnamonGirl

Damn it, typo. I meant to say "explained more in Episode VIII."

In related news, I picked up Carrie Fisher's book, Shockaholic. She is such a cool chick.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

There are apparently comic books and novels that fill in what happened in the 30 years between 6 and 7.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  16. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I didn't have time to see it until today. Plenty of people are busy 'round this time of year. I didn't happen to see this thread but if you'd spoiled it for me I would have been very put out.

I'm not going to go all mod on anyone here but for the love of god please tag your spoilers.

17. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

By the way, you can turn off the preview feature in Tapatalk.

Anyway, not really a spoiler, but I can't decide whether Adam Driver is hot or not.

18. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Hot.

19. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Not. Eew
    That is one giant head
    Bigger than Fancy Pants'

• Like Like x 3
  20. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I saw it finally. I liked it but have some things about it I didn't like that much. Overall, I think it is up to par with the original three films. In other words, it works as a good continuation after all these years.

One thing, especially:

I hope they move away from the "Oh no! A superweapon! We'll have to find a weakness and try to take it out somehow!" theme. I think it's been played out as much as it needs to be.

Mad Max: Fury Road remains my favourite film of 2015.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 3