1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Borla, Oct 30, 2012.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I like big noses and big lips (see my husband). But the dude's ears...

2. snowy

And I see pictures like this one and think, "Um, yeah, I'd bang that."
    [​IMG]

3. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

I didn't like it. Too many things left unexplained (i.e. why did Kylo go bad, why did Finn suddenly grow a conscience, why did the republic have no fleet). I'm still pining for a Star Wars directed by Christopher Nolan. :D

4. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I suspect that some of the questions will be answered in the follow up movies and of course, there are comic books/books that answer the rest.
    The Finn question is, I think, handled in the movie though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. snowy

Also in the novelization.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

The goat?

• Like Like x 1
  7. snowy

Says the British guy. I knew you guys were into livestock, but I wasn't sure it extended to goats.

8. arkana

arkana Very Tilted

You like what you like and you don't like what you don't. Fine, but why does everything need to be explained for it to be good?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

As mentioned in previous replies, many of those questions are answered in the novelization of the story. It's a decent and quick read. There are also already some other short stories and novels considered part of the new "canon" that help explain back stories on Poe, Finn, and Rae. Some of the details in those help answer what you are looking for, or further flesh out the characters.

• Like Like x 1
  10. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

Because it seemed perfunctory and gave the characters very little depth. I found myself caring very little for the characters, because there was no origin or background to them.

11. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

The movie trailers didn't say, "wait until you read the book before you see this movie"... I might be a nerd, but I don't read the books or see the cartoon versions of Star Wars in-between the big movies.

• Like Like x 1
  12. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Eh, I let the ride be the ride and enjoyed it. I didn't give it too much of anything because all kind of escapism movies have lots of holes you can always start poking.

I mean c'mon, they are flying spaceships!!!!

• Like Like x 4
  13. omega

omega Very Tilted

There is no noise in space! And don't forget the force. The whole supernatural mysticism thing. At least they didn't bring up midichlorians. Oh, and draining an entire sun? And it's one thing to launch a ship into hyperspace, but how do you propel a beam of energy faster than light? So yes, pure escapism. The whole thing is about the characters. I used to try to explain to my ex wife that Sci fi and westerns still boil down to the people. It's all about people, regardless of what the background is. Watership down is just people in rabbit skins dealing with a different set of rules. As long as the rules are consistent, that the movie plays fair.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

I've never screwed an animal.

(Insert ex wife joke here)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Why do Scotsmen wear kilts?
    Irishmen can hear a zipper 50 yards away.

Why do Irishmen wear kilts?
    Sheep can hear a zipper 100 yards away.

My Scottish BIL used to stock up on Levis jeans when he visited the US*. I asked him why he bought only button fly jeans. He responded, "Sheep are scared of zippers."

*The Levis he preferred were about 60 quid a pair in Scotland, about $35.00 a pair here.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  16. omega

omega Very Tilted

As far as Adam Driver's looks, to me he is interesting. Not beautiful, but intesresting isn't bad. Yeah his ears stick out, and he has big features. I don't like his huge freckles but oh well. To me he looks a lot like parker Schnabel from the discovery show gold rush. I also said to my girlfriend after the movie " I can't believe Snape did that when he was younger."

• Like Like x 2
  17. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Basically Young Snape killed Han Solo.

• Like Like x 2
  18. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Adam Driver is like Nicholas Cage...not the best looking guy around, but something interesting about him.
    Not too bad of an actor, not the best either.

He's Hollywood's flavor of the month. But doesn't do much for me so far. (liked him in "This is Where I Leave You)

Actually, I think the breakout role was the guy who played Finn.
    I was wondering from the clips why he was in the movie...but in the movie, she shined...good comedic timing and projection. Like Harrison Ford did with Han Solo.

The girl's cute and spunky...but she didn't really make a distinctive character. Not like Mark Hamill did with Luke. Nor ballsy like Leia.
    I'm hoping they develop her more in the next movie...and she's able to make an interesting personality.

There's certain people you just want to watch...again & again...they draw you in.

19. snowy

My first thought on seeing Kylo Ren without a mask was, "Who's the young Snape?"

I love Snape.

20. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

You mean Rey?;)

• Like Like x 1