1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Who's Addicted Yet?

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by b2653009, Dec 16, 2011.

1. b2653009 Slightly Tilted

ok ok ok ok ok ok. Sorry about the wait. I've been out of the SWTOR game for a few days, out of frustration, and keeping busy with the never ending pile of housework. Houses suck.
    I've created an Imperial Agent named Jillanne ready to play on "The Ebon Hawk" server. So, if we play in a team of four to level, I've claimed that one. The two jedis and bounty hunter are left to pick from. GET THEM WHILE THEY'RE HOT!
    Oh, and reminder that when we first start out, the jedis will play together to level 10 to get off of their starter planet, and the BHunter and Imp Agent will play together on Hutta to level 10 for the same thing. We'll be able to join up at the first flashpoint :)

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Sounds cool. My role is often healer, but I'm also known to tank. I've played around with the Sith Juggernaut and can see how tanking might work with that.

I'd also be open to trying to tank with the Sith Assassin or the Bounty Hunter Powertech.

As for healing, I would try either the Sith Sorcerer or the Bounty Hunter Mercenary (Bodyguard build).

If anyone wants tank or heal specifically, I will choose whatever's left.

I was never really into the DPS thing.

I'm open to suggestions.

Also, it's quite possible only three of us are interested in this. (So far I think it's only Settie, highjinx, and me.) If that's the case, it might make sense to have two Bounty Hunters or two Imperial Agents so that we all play together from the start. We can just make sure to split the roles with the advanced builds one tank, one healer, one DPS.

3. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

i rolled a tank (vanguard) and love running 2-4 man quests and flashpoints. the biggest thing i've noticed different about tanking on this compared to other games is that you're usually up against 3-6 range targets and maybe 1 or 2 melee. once you accept the fact that it's impossible to get aggro on everything the fights go a lot smoother. i typically pick up the closest/toughest 3-4 and let the trash bounce around where it may, or let dps burn them.

4. Baraka_Guru

I haven't gotten to high levels yet, and I've only run one instance, a 4-man as a healer. But I already get the sense that the group dynamics are a bit different than the typical fare you see in WoW. While healing, I was thinking in the back of my mind, Dudes, watch aggro! Who's tanking?! But I soon realized that all the enemies were humans and droids with blasters, and so they weren't closing in on anyone. They were just blasting.

Pretty cool. I still have so much to see in this game.

5. highjinx

highjinx "My phobia drowned while i was gettin' down."

i tried a tank and it was ok but i was waiting to do a bounty hunter with y'all. i'll roll one on ebon hawk today and get crackin.

6. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

pretty sure bounty hunter can dps, heal, or tank depending which skill tree you go down. at least that's true with the trooper which is a mirror class.

7. Baraka_Guru

So are you making at tank?

I'm now thinking of making a Sith, as one of us should have some dark side of the force going on. But I'm not sure whether to go warrior or inquisitor. Let me know what you're thinking of for a spec.

8. highjinx

yea, i'll probably start as dps; i was just reading some beginner tips and will most likely go down that role. i'd prefer not to be a healer but i'd be willing to tank down the road if we need one.

edit: if we do pvp i'll probly put some talents into cc as well... this is the build i've been lookin at...

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3000cZMckZfhrbdhhrs.1

9. Baraka_Guru

Okay, cool. I usually default to healer in WoW, and it's been drawing me in this new game.

I'll make a Sith though, so I won't be doing any 1-10 lvl stuff with you guys. I'll see you on the other planet. :)

10. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I was watching a flashpoint video where a guy was a trooper and had three Jedi along, but one of the Jedi had two red lightsabers.
    I know you can make your character choose Darkside options to get them so they can use them, but what else does it do to your character?
    Does it mess with your powers if your light guy goes dark, and vice versa?

Btw, is there a wiki for this game?

11. b2653009 Slightly Tilted

Uh, well, we can't do that, Baraka, actually. See, the game is made in such a way that the same class can't really successfully play along together. Especially when it comes to personal quests. Most of them only allow one of that class inside the area at that time, and, that would also mean that quests would have to be done twice over for both people to get them marked as complete. I dunno about you, but I do NOT want to do double the work... -_-

Also, bounty hunter is probably the best bet for a good healer in our group. THey have the best abilities in the skill tree, as opposed to the sith inquisitor. A sith assassin is MUCH better, more sturdy. I played the sorcerer in beta, and it requires patience, lots of background buff work, and help from SW TOR leveling sites. One of my friends is playing it now, she says its a bitch to do...

12. Baraka_Guru

Yeah I realize that now. NVM.

I rolled an Inquisitor. It's my understanding that Corruption is the healing spec for Inquisitor, which is under Sorcerer. Does the Assassin have a healing spec too? It seems counter-intuitive: "I'm really good at killing people---but----I'm pretty darn good at making them feel better too!"

Anyway, I have both a Sith Warrior and a Sith Inquisitor now, so we can decide what we need. Just let me know. Am I healing or what? If we don't double up on Bounty Hunter, then what do we do?

13. b2653009 Slightly Tilted

This is the best site so far out there for the game. Haven't seen anything else better.
    As for the jedi you mentioned, sounds like they were playing an evil darkside jedi guardian. I couldn't tell you if it messes with your powers like it did in KotOR, as my jedi guardian is all goody goody and wants to save the world with light lol. But the lightsabers you get for playing all evil or all light have a few pluses...my light side sabers give me extra force focus regen so I don't use it up so fast in combat, and extra endurance... that's without the extra mods I put into the saber, of couse.
    Besides that, playing evil when you're republic makes your face look ugly. But that's the only other difference I've found. Something tells me they will put more of that into the game as it goes on. A lot of people want to be able to be neutral and play either side...but who knows if that'll happen. I totally think that if you go all out on being an evil jedi, you should be able to go to korriban, and become sith instead, and do some evil ritual.. that'd be so cool. There's evil armor you can buy as well at republic fleet station shops, as well as light. And they have buffs, all a little different. And expensive as shit. Either way, the one thing I've learned in this game, is make your own stuff, or buy it on the galactic market. ALWAYS BUY ORANGE GEAR. Find the nicest looking gear someone made there, and mod the hell outta it. My smuggler has a lot of extra HP thanks to that.
    --- merged: Jan 17, 2012 3:42 AM ---
    Just looked at the skill tree for assassin, and no, there's no healing tree.. Assassins can be either buff tank or two types of DPS.
    Sorcerer has healing, but if you look at the abilities, they're not too impressive. Like, max heal is something like 580 HP...which is nothing when you're a level 50 fighter with 20000hp. I'm not sure if that improves as you level up, though. I don't know too much about it. Even sorcerer lighting and madness is tough. I did lightning when I played in beta. Its not quite DPS....at least it didn't feel that way to me. I felt like I should have been buffing up teammates instead, but had no abilities to.

As for what do we do if we have no healer. Its not too big a deal if just three of us play. Especially for the first ten levels, they had out medpacks like they're candy. And, at least one of us will get a healer companion, if not, we all get a ship with a healing robot. So, if need be, I'll beef up my robot and have him play team healer. I'm doing that now with my smuggler in fights.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Baraka_Guru

Pfft. In that case, I'll tank with my Sith Juggernaut. highjinx would rather be DPS anyway it seems. I actually kind of like tanking anyway.

My Juggernaut is already on the second planet, but I haven't done that many quests yet. So if we use that character, I can just wait until you guys catch up.

15. b2653009 Slightly Tilted

OOOH I didn't know this but my Imperial Agent can healz too! So I'll be healer! There ya go. ^_^ We just need tank now, if we have bounty hunter DPS, as I assumed. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my imp agent anyways, so that works out well.

Also, Baraka, if you play tank, aim to fill out the immortal tree...they're quite...godly. And I've been told are a lot of fun to play. ^_^

16. Baraka_Guru

Well, if you go healer, I'll definitely tank with my Sith Juggernaut.

Duly noted.

17. Fremen

Thanks, Settie. That was a very helpful link. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. highjinx

got my bounty hunter up to 8 yesterday, it was a blast literally haha. i really like the missiles and lasers; the boba fett flavor is palpable. highjinx was available for a name and i should get to the "everyone" planet" today. get back at me on here w/ names or friend me on there when you get a chance.

19. Fremen

If you create a character but make a mistake or change your mind on the name, will it let you just change your name, or do you have to remake the character?
    I know if the name you choose is taken or inappropriate it tells you to choose again.

What I'm getting at, is it a big hassle to test out if a name is available?

If it's not too much trouble, could someone test out Fremen? :D

Also, will it let you have two names? Example: Bob Gunderson
    Or would you have to do it like this? Bobgunderson

20. dippin Getting Tilted

I might join you guys there. Who do I whisper to get in on the group? Also, what roles are currently missing? My main is a bounty hunter so I want to try something else.