1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Starter bolt rifle

Discussion in 'Tilted Weaponry' started by Pixel, Feb 29, 2012.

1. RogueGypsy

RogueGypsy Vertical

I have one of those Mossberg New Haven .22's. They do last for ever.

I think the "don't clean a .22" may come from people finding they shoot better after the barrel has been 'leaded in'. You'll get the same or better result by polishing the rifling with bore paste or similar metal polish and have a clean rifle.

I agree with MSD, open sights on a .22 are a lot of fun. If you want something a little more accurate, try peep sights. If you really want to have fun, try an electronic dot sight or holographic sight. Fast sight picture and variable sight picture make these things great for small caliber and close quarters.

2. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Anyone who says not to clean a .22 has never shot Aguila SuperExtra or Remington Thunderbolt. On a related note, I made that mistake with my WASR 2, thinking "It's an AK clone, it can go one range trip without cleaning," and ended up putting a can of PB Blaster and half a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil into it after the gas piston froze up. Took me three weeks of daily oiling and hammering before it broke loose.

3. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

When did Ruger make a
    bolt action 10/22?

:confused:
    :eek:
    :p

4. buzzgunner

buzzgunner 180 gr. of diplomacy

Their bolt action .22 isn't a "10/22". They call it the "Ruger American". FYI, it's a sh*tload more expensive than a vanilla Ruger 10/22. Unless you have some sort of weird phobia about semi-autos, the 10/22 is the way to go, from price, accuracy, and reliability standpoints. I bought my 10/22 when I was 18 yrs. old. I'm 65 now and that rifle is still going strong!

• Old Old x 1
  5. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I was taking a shot (ha...ha...ha) at the people who suggested the semi-automatic 10/22 when the OP clearly mentioned a bolt-action. Hence the three emogees; a wasted effort on an ancient thread.

My 10/22 is a fairly recent purchase, so far so good. I have two new BX25 mags that needed to be used a couple of times before functioning properly, but that's not the rifles fault.