1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Steve Jobs died

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by the_jazz, Oct 5, 2011.

1. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Several media outlets - apparently with confirmation from Apple - are reporting that Steve Jobs has died. Obviously he had some serious health problems over the years.

What do you think this means for Apple? Will their innovative culture continue? Any other thoughts?

2. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I don't really have any thoughts about Apple. I wonder if he was thinking about Apple, though.
    It's unfortunate news.

3. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

That's too bad about Jobs. He was an innovator.
    I couldn't give a flying flip about Apple right now, though.

R.I.P., Mr. Jobs.

4. I'm really sad about this and I feel weird about that.

I love my iPhone. I'm a huge fan of Apple and what they have done to personal computing. They have have change how we use the internet, get information, make phone calls... and the rest of the laundry list of things. I really do hope that the company continues to grow and change. We need it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Frosstbyte

Frosstbyte Winter is coming

I've never felt particularly comfortable about the cult of personality and the monolithic nature of Apple. It has seemed less than healthy, overall, and not an ideal situation. Apple's marketing campaigns have never sat well with me. That said, it's impossible to argue that Jobs was anything but a stunning innovator and visionary. It's a pretty serious loss for Cupertino. I hope he was able to get a lot of his ideas out so maybe we can see them in the future.

As for Apple, I don't think there's any real change. Jobs clearly has not worked a lot in the last year or so and virtually all of his administrative functions have been transferred to other people. Slightly odd timing coming right after the 4gs announcement, though.

6. Yeah, he had cancer. That's why he stepped down as CEO....to focus on the illness.

7. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Simply put: Love or hate Apple, Jobs was a pioneer and visionary in the computing industry. He made possible things that people didn't even know were an option.

He has forever changed the industry, and he will go down in history as one of the great figures of tech development and adoption.

8. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

pancreatic cancer is the worst. i wouldn't wish it on anyone.
    as with any human being, i'm sorry for the pain he went through and for those he leaves behind.
    but i don't care about corporate mythologies.
    at all

9. Indigo Kid

Indigo Kid Getting Tilted

Steve Jobs was a great guy and many of us will miss his spirit and imagination.

God speed dear Steve.

Apple will be fine. More importantly: The man deserves his time of honor. (At least IMHO.)

10. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

personally, i'm far more concerned with reports that the nypd is attacking the occupation in nyc.
    but you do your thing.
    one does not exclude the other.

11. Baraka_Guru

If you separate the man from the myth, he really did some important computer stuff, some of which the occupiers in NYC are undoubtedly taking advantage of.

12. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

it's not a concern. apple was and remains a team. it's an organization that happened to have a personality cult as an aspect of its marketing. i don't care about it.

but like i said, pancreatic cancer is the worst. i have a friend who's fighting with it. so at a human level, it's awful.
    i have no problem with making that separation.

13. Baraka_Guru

I'm not sure I get it. You don't care about his accomplishments or just his company?

14. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Sad news. He struggled with it for a long time and continued to put a brave face on it until the end.

I'm saddened for the man and his family. Apple will carry on his vision and accomplishments, I'm sure.

• Like Like x 1
  15. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

let's not get all confused about what i've now said twice about pancreatic cancer, hmm?
    i. have. a. friend. who. is. fighting. it.
    it is the worst, the most aggressive form of cancer. and the treatment is brutal.
    brutal.
    i wouldn't wish pancreatic cancer on anyone. ever.
    so i kinda get what's at issue here really.
    a human being who happens to be famous had the misfortune to contract this really horrible disease and to succumb to it.
    it's a human tragedy.
    i don't have to care about the corporate aspect to get the human aspect of this.

now that's three times i've said it.
    is my position clear enough yet?

16. It's clear. Settle. Have a shot.

17. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

i'm kinda with frost and roach, i'm sure it's a terrible disease but i never got apple and the cult of personality.

18. Baraka_Guru

That part wasn't confusing.

19. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

I hope he didn't suffer and I hope his family and friends find peace.

20. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.