1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Stuart Smalley says:

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by DamnitAll, Sep 8, 2011.

1. erion New Member

Found a gym I don't hate. Joined on 4/7 and have lost 11 lbs. I know the pace will slow, but right now I am loving it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Sir, I think you underestimate yourself too much.
    In little snippets, you show the talent to do the voodoo that is needed...and then some.

Remember this in IT (or any field)
    It's not the knowledge of syntax and other details that make you the shit.
    It's the application of them.
    And how to make it better.

To be honest, syntax and other trivia is one of my "weak" points...I'm always forgetting it, no matter how long I've been doing it...
    but, what is remembered is any code/app's features, options AND limitations
    and it seems to be designed it more efficiently
    then it is leveraged in many useful ways. (including noting how USERS are going to be using it, not me)

This has made my career...and I've seen others of talent "doing the voodoo" this way.
    There will be a time in your long career, when all the code types that you've done starts blurring together. (Unix or Linux? Which version? Which flavor?)
    And others less capable or more anal will think you're "cheating"

So give yourself a break, just enjoy when your stuff is being used. (and making people excited)
    You deserve to crow about your creations.
    Not everyone has the talent. (many simply rely on big words and trivia)

----------------------------------------

BTW...a tip, if you're not doing this already, make sure you send yourself any cool code you've made to your universal email account.
    This will be a good thing to have in a pinch no matter where you go, whatever project. Your toolkit.
    Besides, why recreate the wheel?
    Bonus, you'll get it done quicker...which will add to your rep.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

One of my favorite cyclists told me tonight, "You look so smooth when you ride!"

Guess I must be doing something right.

• Like Like x 2
  4. The Vice Provost asked ME to serve on a special committee about re-branding our division. ME. It's a relatively small group, but some REALLY important big wigs are a part of the group. I am the only one in my "position category" who was asked to participate.

I am so honored to be included in this conversation. I feel as if I am being recognized for my hard work and my knowledge about the subject. Apparently some things I said at a quarterly meeting really impressed him. The chair of this group talked to me after that meeting, but I didn't think I'd actually be involved in the work. I thought she was just being nice.

This would have NEVER have happened for other divisions I worked for in the past. I am so happy and proud of myself.

• Like Like x 5
  5. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

We're proud of you too!

• Like Like x 1
  6. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

As I was leaving happy hour on Friday evening, a woman seated at the high top table next to ours stopped me and said, " I love your hair."

Aw, shucks. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  7. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Bumping my own thread, following my own post from six years ago, cause why not?

I ran over a staple on my way back to the office from a photoshoot this afternoon. It punctured my inner tube in two places, and I walked the last ¾ mile—uphill, of course—carrying my bike most of the way.

I patched the tube before leaving work this evening and rode home in steady rain. It held for the ride, and it's continued to hold six hours later. Fingers crossed it'll hold till tomorrow and beyond.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

30hr update: still holding as of getting home this evening. We’ll see what tomorrow holds.

9. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

My cat sleeps right beside me all night long.

Also, tube patch is still holding. *knock on wood*