1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Stuck in My Ways

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by SeanMyklKing, Sep 23, 2011.

1. My girlfriend has been making fun of me because I've been listening to the same music since I was in high school. The same bands, genres, albums... Everything. I like different types of music. I listen to everything... but as far as my actual collection of music goes. It's pretty much Beastie Boys, Deftones, and Jay-Z. With the random spattering of other artists that are exactly like those three.

How does one break out of this and get to know NEW music? Or am I right in thinking that it all pretty much sucks?

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I think there is always something about the music that was popular, or your personal favorite, when you are in your mid/late teens and early 20s. I consider myself to be pretty broad in my musical interests. I listen to everything from rock to country to bluegrass to classic rock to big band stuff. But if you ask me what my favorite albums, bands, or songs are, the vast majority are things that I listened to a lot around the time I turned 16 and shortly after. That's when I had my own car, could crank my own music, and made a lot of fun memories listening to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, etc. Though I'm just as likely to have some Johnny Cash, Old Crow Medicine Show, or Jason Aldean playing today, 90s alternative rock will always sound the best to me.

3. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I still listen to my favorite bands from high school...granted, they're all classic rock and/or 80s, but still. I like 90s stuff better now than I did then, and I haven't decided if it's because I'm more into alt-rock now, or if it's the nostalgia factor. Maybe a little of both.

Most of the newer stuff I listen to came about because of friends. ZombieSquirrel wanted me to go to a Hush Sound concert with her a few years ago, so I checked out their CDs and ended up loving them (and having an awesome time at the show.) Various friends have put in music at parties/in their car/at their house, and I'd investigate more after I left (off the top of my head, that's how I discovered Joss Stone, Juliana Hatfield, the Gin Blossoms, Sarah McLachlan, and the Jesus and Mary Chain.)

There used to be an awesome independent radio station in Dayton that I loved...sadly, they aren't around anymore. Independent radio in general seems to be disappearing :(

Does Barnes & Noble have the headphones where you can preview CDs? I can't remember...but I know Borders did, and I used that all the time. I'd decide "I'm in a jazz mood" or "I want something Irish," and go listen to people I'd never heard of until I found something I really liked.

4. I think it gets imprinted in your very being. As you develop who you are, the music that effects you the most stays with you the longest.

5. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

The one thing I like about my otherwise overpriced Sirius subscription is that it turns me on to bands I would have never otherwise heard of, even though they are still within the genre I listen to.

6. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

listen to what you like; they're your ears...

7. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I still go down to the basement, pull out my vinyl collection, and create a new wish list for Amazon.
    Yes, I'm old; but damn, I had good taste.

I like all sorts of music; but I usually come back to blues/rock. Expanding your musical horizons is a good thing, I started with what I liked and checked out where it came from. Music is all derivative, to quote Muddy Waters "The blues had a baby and they named it rock and roll". I went and checked out the folks that influenced Clapton, Hendrix, et al.

I have no specific suggestions other than start with what you like.

8. Nikilidstrom

Nikilidstrom Vertical

The only reason I keep paying for it is for that reason. Found so many new bands, and I try to make sure I check out as many genres I can because I never know whats gonna catch my ear. Spotify is great for this, too. Just found the Sheepdogs on there tonight. Great classic rock style band from Canada.

As for the OP, try BlakRoc. Its a collaborative album by the Black Keys and several hip-hop artists. I think they are making a second album to be released next year.

The best way to discover new music is live. Sometimes even if the genre doesn't appeal to you, the performance can help you overcome that, and at least give you an appreciation for the music. Its how I discovered I loved blues way back when.

9. MuteyTheMailman

MuteyTheMailman Vertical

NPR Podcasts. Specifically All Songs Considered. I have heard so many great new and new-to-me bands and artists on NPR, and I just love it.

Another place where I learned about great music was from chat forums much like this one. I frequent another forum and we have a dedicated music chat thread, wherein we introduce others to great new music we have heard. And something really cool we've done the last three years is a CD swap. We send actual hard copy CDs with songs we've fallen in love with over the year. It's been a great success. I have grown my iTunes trove exponentially over the last three years, and really enjoyed it.

Anyway, that's my thoughts.