1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Sugar

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Oct 16, 2014.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I moderate more than I used to.
    Especially sodas. (and no I don't do diet, I hate those)

I've also found that I don't like things made with cane sugar or corn syrup as much any more. (I can feel it "cutting" on my teeth)
    I prefer more natural subtle sweetners.
    Like now I enjoy honey in my coffee or tea. (or a vanilla)

So, while I don't avoid them altogether...I do refrain more.
    And I'm aware of their impact on my mood, energy and fitness. (it counts more than it used to when I was younger)

I don't think people should go crazy overboard avoiding it.
    But I don't think everyone should just ignore it either.
    Everything in moderation.
    And it's on your own individual impact and preference too. All bodies are different.

I do believe the vendors should make you aware of how much sugar is in foods. (ignorance is NOT bliss)
    And they should pull back from using it.

You'd think by now they'd stop trying to abuse an angle just to make a buck.
    It's your customers, you know...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  2. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

There is an excellent BBC doco on sugar and how it is making people fat

It is on youtube in 12 parts (the playlist link is below):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE-H__aIEFE&list=PLA0E2B2461B536A26&src_vid=iE-H__aIEFE&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_20178

My wife cooks without a lot of the sugar in recipes - i.e. maybe 1/4 of the sugar suggested. The resulting cakes/muffins/cookies are still nice to eat but not ridiculously sweet. Having said that, I have a sweet tooth (thanks Mum).

3. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I used to love sugary foods, but rarely indulge any more. I avoid processed foods with high fructose corn syrup like the plague they are. I'll admit to a weakness for (real) maple syrup over steel cut oatmeal, and sometimes crave the taste of dark molasses. I eat berries, grapes, and melons.
    I follow a low, or at least controlled, carb diet. I've done so for years. I do occasionally make a conscious choice to have something like some chocolate dessert, creme brule, or caramel popcorn. I haven't had a full sugar soda for many years. Sometimes, when eating at someone else's house, the sugar in everything is just unavoidable. I just eat as little as possible without being rude. It's not like sugar is poisonous in small doses over the short term.
    Not much sugar in my life, so not much to cut. I don't think that there's any in the cupboard. I just went and looked -- there's an ancient box of sugar cubes with four missing.
    Much less.
    I like unsweetened custard and no sugar vanilla or dark chocolate homemade ice cream with berries. Not very international. I don't care for the salty pickled asian "sweets" that I've tried.

I do like salty, and also sour. I also love the taste of the "sweet" fats, like heavy cream, butter, and most any good cheese.

And it's not nuclear radiation anyway, but maybe the idea comes from the common parlance expression of "nuking" when we reheat something in the microwave. Mercola also has some weird thing against eating pork, as I recall.
    --- merged: Oct 29, 2014 5:37 AM ---
    I think that it is interesting that sugar without fat can make you fat. But fat without sugar (carbs) doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2014
  4. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Yep, society has come out with this "low fat" message, so people eat (for example) "low fat yoghurt" which has a *lot* of sugar in it, without realising the calories they are consuming. The BBC doco also pointed out that Corn Syrup isn't as sweet as sugar but has higher calories, so to make stuff taste as sweet, companies use *more* corn syrup, which is worse for the consumer. All of this equals fatter Americans (and Australians).

5. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I was recently diagnosed with diabetes so I try to curb my intake a bit.
    My problem is I don't drink alcohol or coffee, but I drink Cokes and sweet tea as my liquids of choice, water third, milk fourth.
    A lot of the time, when I drink too much water I feel like I'm drowning. I don't mean I drink a lot at once, but if I go a few days drinking nothing but water, it gets to me. I go a bit stir crazy.
    I found some sugar-free drink mixes my mother used and they help with the cravings, but other days I have to drink the good stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Do you have a sweet tooth?
    Yes.

Do you consciously avoid sugar?
    In some foods yes.

Do you think cutting sugar could improve your life?
    In regards to losing a little weight yes. Otherwise not really.

Do you think your diet has more or less sugar than the average American?
    I rarely drink sugared sodas, which seem to be popular with many people, so I'd say less.

Do you prefer any international food options because of their differing sugar content?
    I like all kinds of international food, but I don't take sugar content into consideration.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Maybe try sparkling water for some variety? I find the bubbles break the monotony and mimic soda pretty well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chris Noyb

Some of the new artificial sweetners (ASs) are light years ahead of the "old" sweetners. If you experiment with them you might find one or more that you like, and/or can adjust to fairly quickly. I can't handle ASs in my coffee, but I experiment with them in iced tea at restaurants (a good way to try them without buying them and getting stuck with them if you don't like 'em). Some brands offer diet sodas using different sweetners, Diet Coke/Coke Zero and Diet Pepsi/Pepsi Max come to mind. I don't care for either Coke product, but I definately prefer Pepsi Max over regular Diet Pepsi. Whatever AS they use in Max gives it a 'heavier' flavor.

• Like Like x 2
  9. snowy

Both Pepsi Max and Coke Zero use combinations of acesulfame potassium (Ace K) and aspartame to achieve their sweetness.

10. Chris Noyb

I forgot to mention some of the newer ASs can be used for cooking & baking. The older ones underwent some kind of change in high heats and left a weird aftertaste, much like some do in cold tea v. hot tea.
    --- merged: Oct 29, 2014 at 10:22 AM ---
    Thanks for the info. I didn't have either on hand, and didn't look up the ingredients. The heavier flavor might appeal to people trying to switch from sugared sodas. To me Diet Pepsi is very 'light' compared to regular Pepsi, Max is closer to the real thing.

My mother dieted off & on for as long as I can remember, and tried every AS that came along. One of my sisters tries/has tried every available AS and likes Truvia the best (so far).

I have heard & read that the body can be fooled by ASs, and react as those it was receiving real sugar. That's something worth researching.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2014
  11. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I've become a fan of stevia as a sweetener.

12. Lindy

I don't drink much soda, either diet or regular, but I drink a lot of Crystal Light style lemonade. I really prefer the Hy-Vee store brand, though. Also Snapple or Arizona ice tea when the bottles are on sale.

13. snowy

I ate some candy this weekend and it just tasted gross. I think my sweet tooth died. 72% cacao dark chocolate or higher for me, thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I opt for 70% only when I want my chocolate sweet.

• Like Like x 1
  15. snowy

I make "bites" out of very dark chocolate, using unsweetened coconut, peanut butter, coconut oil, hemp hearts, and almonds. They're very satisfying, and very high in fiber.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lindy

I used some Ibarra(Mexican chocolate in a solid disk) to make hot chocolate about a month ago when it was cold.
    It was too sweet, but it was what I had in the house.
    Hint: It's hard as a brick. Nuke it for a few seconds before adding it to the milk.

17. snowy

Yeah, it and Abuelita are essentially the same product.

18. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Here's a fun bit of trivia: I have found that my diet tends to follow my activity levels. I eat better when I'm more active and keeping fit. I don't know if it's a psychological thing or if my cravings change due to metabolic changes or what. Now that it's spring and I'm coming out of hibernation I've started noticing that I feel the need to snack less and tend towards healthier stuff when I do.

I don't usually worry about a teaspoon of sugar in my coffee or the odd snack. I like to keep my dietary habits simple, which means I don't want to spend a lot of time reading labels and counting carbs. I think mostly just cutting out the junk food and sticking to healthy whole foods is a good way to moderate.

I also don't care too much about artificial sweeteners. Good ol aspartame is fine by me. Or just plain sugar.

19. snowy

I am fine with most artificial sweeteners in moderation. I don't drink diet soda any more either. I sometimes sprinkle a half of a packet of sucralose on heavy cream mixed with blueberries.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lindy

Speaking of cream, has anyone tried powdered cream?

cream powder.jpg