1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Sugarland/Indiana State Fair stage collapse

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by sbscout, Aug 14, 2011.

1. sbscout

sbscout Getting Tilted

I watched this this morning and was cringing due to the sudden-ness of it. Now I just found out there are people in the hospital that I know.

Our illustrious governor said that it was impossible to predict such an event, but a local meteorologist said the following on his Facebook page:
    "Mitch Daniels really needs to keep his mouth shut about yesterday unless he wants to tell the truth. The winds didn't come out of nowhere, nor were they freak or isolated. That storm had a history before it got there and fair officials were told it was on the way. The fair officials should be answering the questions why they didn't evacuate."

The opening act had finished, and the announcer said they were waiting for the weather to get better, BUT they were still hoping to have Sugarland perform. Would you have stayed through a storm to see a group?

I probably would have stayed, assuming that the fair officials had access to the weather reports and were not calling for an evacuation.
    --- merged: Aug 14, 2011 at 5:55 PM ---
    this is my first attempt uploading a video. Any mods or admins that can help me out?

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

The new format requires just the YouTube code and the tag, which is accessible from the button that looks like a filmstrip.

Where "medya" = "media"

3. sbscout

sbscout Getting Tilted

thank you!

4. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Wow...it's amazing how quickly the screams went from "this is awesome!" to "this is terrifying!" :(

5. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

that is terrible

i was flinching as i was reading the casualty list as it's pretty close to where i live.

6. sbscout

sbscout Getting Tilted

yeah, Indy is about a 2 1/2 hour drive south of South Bend. My niece was in the stands. One of those injured was a former student. Once it started, it sure didn't take long to come crashing down.

7. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

that is horrible. very chilling to watch.
    upsetting.

8. holy shit! you can see like 40 people get crushed! how many casualties?

9. sbscout

sbscout Getting Tilted

4 dead at the scene, 1 died later in the hospital, at least 25 more injured

10. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I vaguely heard about this, but hadn't watched any video. I am surprised more people weren't killed - and you can bet that the Fair officials will be a lot more aware of weather hazards in the future.

If this had happened while a band was on the stage, you can bet it would be getting a lot more attention, though.

11. ChrisJericho

ChrisJericho Careless whisper

Things can change so quickly :(

12. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Thing is: this was completely avoidable. The meteorologists had plenty of data on this storm, and they passed that on to the fair. Gov. Daniels makes it sound like no one could have ever predicted that type of wind gust at that altitude. That was one of the things passed along to the fair by the weathermen. They may not be all that great at figuring out the weather 3 days from now, but they're really damn good at predicting exactly what a storm is going to do in the next hour.

13. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

Absolutely terrifying!

14. I heard this is the third stage collapse in the past month! Cheap Trick in Toronto and the Flaming Lips in Oklahoma City.

Something ain't right, folks.

15. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

My thoughts are with your friends, SBScout.

I'm interested in the structural engineering elements of this collapse. Everything should be built with possible failure in mind. Should it have fallen backwards, not forwards? Were there minor breaks that should have been noticed before the whole structure fell?

16. Stage collapse in ottawa a few weeks ago. Canada day or something.

17. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Slightly Tilted

This was a horrible event. I kept getting calls to make sure I wasn't there. (I wasn't)

Mitch Daniels called it a "fluke" wind because this gust of wind came from the middle of the midway, however, every other structure in the midway was fine. This was the only structure that was damaged. Apparently, the company that makes the stage is now going to do an investigation to make sure it wasn't their fault.

Had I gone to this concert, I would have stayed. The fair isn't known for giving a refund even if there is bad weather.

It's now been announced that 2 of the 4 remaining artists have cancelled their shows at the fair due to the accident.

18. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

This is so horrible and upsetting. My thoughts, too, are with your friends, SBScout.

19. sbscout

sbscout Getting Tilted

local woman is stable, but critical... broken skull, eye sockets, spine, collar bone

She's got a lot of recuperating to do.

20. PAQ

Paq New Member

If you want to haer something freaky...one of my coworkers knows the girl who is in critical condition. We are in charlotte, btw.

The girl is currently 'stable' but she is on the vent and in a medically induced coma with an EVD in her head to relieve pressure. Her ICP is up to about 20(enough to do damage or keep you in a coma).
    --- merged: Aug 19, 2011 12:33 AM ---
    http://m.heraldbulletin.com/thb/db_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=b6wka6SZ&full=true#display