1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Super Bowl Munchies

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by snowy, Jan 29, 2014.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

My team is going to the Super Bowl! Obviously, I'm in charge of hosting the party this year. I'm planning on serving two kinds of chili and cornbread, along with some assorted snacks and desserts. The exact menu has yet to be pinned down, but that's the direction I'm going. I figure chili allows me to enjoy the game, since I can leave it in the slow cooker/in my enameled cast iron Dutch oven without supervision.

What are you serving at your Super Bowl party, or what do you like to eat at a Super Bowl party?

• Like Like x 1
  2. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Wings, and beer.....

3. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

The last Superbowl party I went to, the host held an appetizer contest. People were a lot more likely to bring something GOOD when there was competition involved.. appetizers ranged from wings to skewered meat to bacon wrapped dates stuffed with blue cheese (mine) and so on. Not much in the way of veggie and cheese plates, which are usually brought by lazy people. ;)

I won't be going to or hosting a party this year, but my boyfriend and I might order some wings.

• Like Like x 1
  4. snowy

I have a difficult time letting go of the reins of the food at a party, haha, but this sounds like a fun idea. The issue with us hosting is that since my husband is vegetarian, we generally don't serve meat. People are free to bring meat, but it usually doesn't work out that way.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I'm going to make paleo pepperoni pizza bites. Cauliflower and veggie pepperoni, dipped in marinara sauce. I love the A Girl Worth Saving blog.

6. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

We don't host SB parties, for several reasons. If we stay home, the usual queso & chips, maybe some store bought hummus. If we attend a SB party, we bring whatever the host wants us to bring.

I'll eat pretty much anything, as long as it doesn't have cheese & jalapenos baked together. I can eat cheese, I can eat jalapenos, I can eat them together......as long as they're not baked together. Some chemical reaction inflames the lining of my stomach for a couple of days, which is weird because normally I have very good digestive system.

If anyone knows a good recipe for layered bean dip, I'd love to see it :cool: !

7. snowy

Mine is not really a recipe, because I make the creamy, zesty layer completely by taste. I combine sour cream, mayo, and taco seasoning to a particular taste. I also sometimes make my own refried beans for the base layer. I also often skip the layer of salsa or tomatoes as I find it makes the dip too watery, depending on the season.

8. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I like the idea of this thread.

We do a SB party about every other year. I almost always decline invitations to other people's parties because I am more serious about the game than most of my friends, and I'm a control freak with the remote during big TV events and it would be rude to commandeer someone else's remote. :p

This year is an "off" year, so it'll be just the wife and I. But we still usually make a handful of hearty appetizers and much on them all afternoon/evening, so I'll definitely be poaching ideas from this thread.

Mainstays of our parties are usually homemade wings (my wife makes a killer homemade honey-sriracha sauce to toss them in), potato skins, nachos, and sliders.

Last year she made some great bacon wrapped tator tots. You just take standard tots, wrap them in a couple inches of bacon, sprinkle some shredded cheese on them, and garnish with a quarter of a slice of jalapeno pepper. We've also done a "make your own mini-pizza" bar. You can use english muffins or pre-make a bunch of similar sized pizza crusts. Then have a "bar" set up with various cheeses, veggies, meats, and other pizza toppings. Someone gifted us one of those Pizzazz pizza maker things. We rarely use it, but it is perfect for this sort of thing and fun if you have kids at the party.

Presto 03430 Pizzazz Pizza Oven, Black | Free Shipping

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris Noyb

We've just started using the quesadilla maker that we got when my in-laws downsized. I'm thinking it should useful for making some tasty SB munchies.

Borla, I'm with you on actually watching the game.
    Wife: I need you to taste this.
    Me: Be there is a minute.
    Wife: I'm ready to put it in the fridge, and I want to know if if needs anything else.
    Me: They (whatever team) has a 4th & 2 on the 37 yard line, and they're down by 7. I want to see if they're going try a long field go, go for the 1st down, or do something stupid like punt.
    Wife: Nevermind! If the dish doesn't taste right it's your fault.
    Me: Whatever. Just use your best judgement.

You should see me (or maybe not) during boxing matches, esp ones I really want to see. IMO it's impossible to properly score a fight if you don't see the all of each and every round.

Digression over.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  10. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

The bad part about the SB in particular is that I also actually want to see the commercials. :p

Thankfully I usually couldn't care less about the half time show. :p I do most of my grazing and food prep stuff at half time.

11. Chris Noyb

I'm not a fan of lipsynching.

• Like Like x 1
  12. pig

pig Slightly Tilted Donor

I'll be at a Rock'nRoll Show Saturday, so it's looking unlikely that I'll make my SB party on Sunday. Possible, but unlikely.

I could do anything from pulled pork to pizza, but without Saturday to prep it gets tough. Then again, living in the Glorious South and a native redneck, I don't really give a shit about professional football. I can't even remember what I did for South Carolina's bowl game this year. Time flies :D

13. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

I'm doing chili as well.

14. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

When is it? The Super Bowl. Don't laugh.

15. hamsterball

They usually kick off in the evening, about 6:30-7:00.

16. snowy

Yeah, it's at 6:30 Eastern.

17. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I know that, lol. What Sunday? This or next?

18. hamsterball

This Sunday, fair lady @noodle.

Don't miss it. Write it down. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I don't really watch football and I don't have friends here, so I wouldn't know, lol. I'll remember now. We have a research meeting 2-5 CST on Sunday, so I'll miss a bit of it. I really only watch the commercials.

20. hamsterball

The commercials?? I'm wounded. :)

I hear that there may be a football game, if they can wedge it in between the commercials and the halftime show.

I'm just the opposite in that regard. I just wanna see the game. Hopefully, we'll both be satisfied!