1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Supreme Court Rules with Hobby Lobby on Contraception

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by GeneticShift, Jun 30, 2014.

1. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

I'm putting this in Life/Sexuality because of the Contraception issue, but if my other mod-brethren feel it's better suited for Politics, feel free to move it. :)

Supreme Court rulings 2014: SCOTUS sides with Hobby Lobby on birth control - POLITICO.com

So this happened. Today. I'm pissed. At the moment, I'm too angry to write a full dissent on this. Basically, I'm sorry the main reason I take birth control is to prevent the complications that come with PCOS. I'm sorry that that goes against your "religious beliefs". Yes, you have freedom of religion, but you have no right to force it on me.

What scares me most is the implications that this could have on even more serious conflicts. Blood transfusions (Jehovah's Witnesses), antidepressants (Scientology), medication derived from pigs, IV fluids, pills coated with gelatin (Muslims, Jews).

I'm so mad.

Here are some great RBG quotes from the official dissent:
    The 8 Best Lines From Ginsburg's Dissent on the Hobby Lobby Contraception Decision | Mother Jones

I am mad. Be mad with me. Or have a civil discussion about why I'm wrong.

• Like Like x 4
  2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I'm mad too.

There are so many positives associated with contraception; why would people want to restrict it? It has so many benefits beyond just preventing pregnancy. I fear that this will re-emphasize the position that contraception is akin to abortion, which is ridiculous and has no basis in science, yet people believe it (idiots believe it).

Furthermore, what do the religious beliefs of my employer have to do with me? I fail to grasp what my personal life and my personal choices have to do with the religious beliefs of my employer; there is a dramatic disconnect here. I say this as a person who has experience being directly employed by an actual religious organization; even there, my personal life and my personal choices were just that--mine.

This is just further evidence that this court believes that corporations are people.

I love Ruth Bader Ginsburg. She's an inspiration. She's right in that this is a can of worms the Supreme Court should not have opened.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

:mad:

4. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Not surprising, but still equally infuriating.

[​IMG]

Fuck you, Hobby Lobby.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

America, this is why you can't have nice things.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

You don't have a right to birth control. Simple as that. Tri-Sprintec 28 is $9.00 a month at Walmart, Sams, Target, and Kroger for starters.

7. GeneticShift

I have a right to medication that greatly improves my health and quality of life. I don't use birth control for contraception. I use hormonal birth control to control many of my hormone issues and to help prevent my elevated risks of ovarian and cervical cancer.

And since vasectomies, ED medication, and even penile implants are covered by most insurances, then I would say yeah, I have the right to medication that actually serves a preventative and health purpose.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Baraka_Guru

This isn't about one's right to birth control; it's about whether it's permissible for employers to deny insurance coverage that conflicts with their religious beliefs. In other words, it's about whether employers can discriminate against employees based on religious beliefs.

• Like Like x 4
  9. redux

redux Very Tilted

This was not the issue. And the Court certainly didnt address it in this narrow decision. The Court had already affirmed that the government has the authority to regulate minimum preventive services required by all health insurance plans.

In fact, Hobby Lobby was not opposed to offering birth control, but only those methods of birth control that they believe (ignorantly) induce abortion (IUD and morning after pill), based on the owners opposition to abortion.

And this was not a First Amendment religious freedom issue. Alito made it clear that Hobby Lobby had no First Amendment protections, but only statutory protections under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. And it only applies to "closely held" (family controlled) corporations, not publicly traded corporations.

I imagine at some point, women will probably sue claiming a 14th amendment equal protection issue.

But in the meantime, both Aliato and Kennedy suggested in their opinions that a remedy already exists -- that which is is applied to religious non-profits - the insurance company will bear the full cost of contraception when those non-profit religious groups object on religious grounds.

It is a bad precedent but it could have been a lot worse.

10. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

ED is a medical condition apples and oranges.
    Here is the funny part, vasectomies are not covered under Obama care.

As a side note hormonal contraception show an increase in cervical cancer, but that may be due to increased numbers of sex partners.
    The Pill Raises Cervical Cancer Risk

Looking into it, Hobby lobby was opposed only to BC that could result in pregnancy termination, aka an abortion. In fact birth control pills are covered.

Here's Why Hobby Lobby Thinks IUDs Are Like Abortions - Olga Khazan - The Atlantic

So you can work for Hobby Lobby, your issues are in fact covered. So what was this about again? IUD's (which actually when implanted after pregancy are known to cause termination) and the morning after pill?

When the government starts to mandate what you have to pay for these conflicts will happen. This is about abortion, and while I don't care, I can't blame a believer in the afterlife for caring.

11. GeneticShift

1. I'm stating that birth control has more uses than contraception, so fighting them for religious reasons does way more harm than good. In addition, fighting against any birth control based on religious reasons sets a dangerous precedent for other medications as I previously stated.

2. To obtain an IUD, the prescribing doctor performs a pregnancy test, and does a thorough check up prior to insertion to prevent that. There are no real reasons to be against an IUD if the doctor is doing his job correctly.

3. The morning after pill is NOT an abortion pill. The morning after pill prevents implantation in the uterus. If a fertilized egg has already been implanted in the uterus, the pregnancy will continue.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  12. redux

redux Very Tilted

I agree that it is ignorant that the conservatives on the Court bought the Hobby Lobby argument that "four contraceptive methods are abortifacient."

And I worry about the precedent, especially with this Court.

13. Baraka_Guru

It's still discrimination.

They don't want to allow coverage of certain things that would otherwise be covered by insurance, and this is because of their religious beliefs. This is despite the beliefs of those covered.

They only want to allow coverage that makes it through the filter of their Christian beliefs.

This is despite the fact that the insurance is supposed to cover things that arise out of the decisions made between a patient and his or her doctor.

This is a court decision that permits corporations to discriminate based on religion.

• Like Like x 2
  14. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Maybe we should rename birth control pills. Call them hormone regulation therapy.

Magpie also takes BC, also for PCOS. It's actually going to be an issue for us when we decide we're ready for children, assuming we're able to have any.

Of course in Canadia nobody really bats an eye at birth control anyway. We all pretty much agree that it's a good idea.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

This is why I won't touch this board on politics again. ;)

1- But you get you are covered if you work for hobby lobby?

2- My wife has a copper IUD and its a piece of shit for a couple of reasons but in my research on it, I came across numerous sources that recommended it as a form of morning after.

3- Now thats a semantics game, especially when you realize that many Christians believe life begins at conception.

Personally I think most people attacking this don't have a clue what it was about.

BC pills are covered, its not about BC pills.

• Like Like x 1
  16. martian

Serves those goddamn heathens right for not being proper God-fearing Christians.

• Like Like x 1
  17. redux

redux Very Tilted

Only "closely controlled" family owned business....like WalMart and Koch Industries and others that have no real religious issues but oppose the ACA on political grounds and now have cover to take a shot at the ACA.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Baraka_Guru

Which is really dumb considering that some of these Christians have an impact on the health decisions of others. I think it's better to leave it to obstetricians to decide when "life" begins, not some board members of some shitty craft store chain.

• Like Like x 3
  19. martian

Wrong. This is absolutely about the pill. Hobby Lobby may not object to covering hormonal birth control but this decision opens the door for them (or other companies) to decide in the future that they don't want to cover it. That means thousands, or perhaps even millions of women are now in jeopardy of having their medically necessary pills that they take for purposes other than contraception taken away. Because some Christian fuckwit has a problem with an IUD, and because the SCOTUS values a corporation's right to institute religion as corporate policy over an individual's right to health and wellbeing. There is no possible way to frame this as anything other than a huge step backwards for women's health.

• Like Like x 4
  20. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Don't you mean that the CONSUMER will bear the full costs of contraception?