1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Susan G. Komen v Planned Parenthood

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by redux, Feb 2, 2012.

1. redux

redux Very Tilted

Susan G. Komen for the Cure has announced that it will cut breast screening grants to organizations that do not meet its new criteria -- barring grants to organization under investigation and/or changes in the type of breast screening providers it wants to support -- or simply Planned Parenthood.

According to the Komen chair, it was not a political decision. But how is it not when the "investigation" of Planned Parenthood that resulted in pulling the funds is 100% political, coupled with the alleged role (according to Komen insiders) of the recently appointed VP for Public Policy at Komen who ran for governor in Georgia (and lost) in large part on an anti-choice and anti-Planned Parenthood campaign.

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP24274f90e0cb423497ed936ca89b2cf0.html

It is disheartening see such a rift between two organizations that provide such valuable services and have such shared goal become so wide as a result of the influence of extreme ideologues.

At the same time it is heartening to me to see the backlash that Komen is facing and the outpouring of support for Planned Parenthood.

I will be withholding my support of Komen for now.

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

It's not even that much money. Why is Komen making such a big deal out of it (if it's not political)? We're talking about $680,000 in grants last year from an organization that conducts over $280 million in charitable services.

Founder Nancy G. Brinker herself is paid a salary of $531,924. Sheesh.

I dunno. Do you think she's earning it?

This is essentially political if the only reason for pulling grants is due to PP being under investigation for political reasons:

Who Is Behind Susan G. Komen's Split From Planned Parenthood? - The Atlantic

Meet the Man Behind Susan G. Komen Decision's to Stiff Planned Parenthood - The Atlantic

No matter what: Susan G. Komen for the Cure is currently weathering a public relations nightmare. Things have changed in this age of social media. The storm has been unleashed.

3. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

Sometimes one has to take a stand in order to make a point, even if making that point seems to have unpleasant consequences for others. The thing is, you have to be willing to say what your point is, and why you feel that way. I don't see that Komen really has made a point here. Simply denying funding over the fact that an organisation is under some form of investigation is laughable.

If they want to say it's about abortion, or that they feel they must bow to public outcry over supporting an organisation that supports abortion, then do so, and see what sort of backlash that generates. Don't hide behind flimsy, transparent politically correct curtains.

4. pig

pig Slightly Tilted Donor

It's clearly political, and to state otherwise is simply foolish. It doesn't count for much, but as a regular donator to the Komen foundation I sent them an email informing them I would no longer be donating to their effort, and asking for similar organizations not dominated by anti-choice political objectives.

That'll show 'em!!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

Perhaps if the foundation put all their money into cancer research rather than suing charities that use the word "cure" or use the color pink, there wouldn't e such a backlash

• Like Like x 2
  6. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

CNN reports that Komen has reversed its position on PP, so it seems that public outcry can sometimes work.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Unfortunately, I think the damage has been done. Either way, it's a good thing for thousands of women across the country.

• Like Like x 1
  8. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I think about what it would be like to lead an organization like this, and wake up one morning to the biggest shitstorm imaginable.
    It can't be fun, and as Baraka says above, you lose no matter what you do. It's a no win situation at this point.
    Major headaches going on tonight.

9. Carbonic

Carbonic Getting Tilted

I don't think it's unfortunate at all. Komen is the largest, but it's certainly not the best advocate for breast cancer victims and survivors.

http://bcaction.org/
    http://www.jimmyv.org/

• Like Like x 1
  10. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Amen.

My wife supports breast cancer with the walks and such

11. Alistair Eurotrash

I never heard of them. Mind you, I'd rather donate to prostate cancer due to the imbalance of funding between prostate cancer and breast cancer.

12. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

From 03-07 breast cancer killed about 207,000 people and Prostate 145,000. Lung cancer killed 792,500. I think we have bigger problems than breast and prostate cancer put together.

13. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Its called people (like me) that don't listen to the surgen generals warnings. :rolleyes:

14. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I would like to think that the democrats thought this up to motivate their base, but then I realize that this is too advanced for them.