1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Tablet: iPad, Kindle, Nook, oh my!

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by PonyPotato, Apr 22, 2012.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

So how is it working out for you?

2. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

So far, love it! The documents app I got kinda sucks, so I might change that soon. However, I LOVE Notability, especially with my stylus, and I love the case I got - BoxWave Nero Nuovo.

I've also found an anatomy app that's great for school, and dropbox is awesome. Loving it for reducing the amount of paper I have to carry!

• Like Like x 1
  3. cynthetiq

That is a nice case :) I'll have to look into notability because it would be nice to be able to markup my PDFs for some of the customer service reporting that I do.

4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Okay, shit's starting to heat up in this tablet war.

Microsoft announces a tablet: Microsoft's Surface Will Influence Future iPads, Gates - Smarthouse

Google's releasing the Nexus 7 this month (with a price half that of an iPad): Google Nexus 7 release date tipped as July 19th by retailer | T3

Amazon is rumoured to be releasing the Kindle Fire 2 within weeks; Seven-Inch Kindle Fire 2 Might Ship In Early August

And now Apple has announced a "mini" iPad due for the end of the year: Report: Apple Preps iPad Mini to Battle Nexus 7, Kindle Fire | PCWorld

What do you make of it? Will this eventually lead to the widespread adoption of tablet computers? Will they become ubiquitous? Is this the future?

Major players such as Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, and Google (and RIM?) are certain to keep this up as they vie for dominance in a growing market. After decades, tablets seem to have taken hold.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

It gets better, you missed the Asus Transformer Infinity which will be keeping their tradition of top flight hardware and adding a 1920x1200 resolution screen to the mix. I stand by my conviction that the netbook/tablet transformer is the best idea of the lot, and if they just made a way to seamlessly attach your phone to it (docking space in the base?) they would basically have THE device, leaving us only wanting a PC at home for truly intensive work.

6. Baraka_Guru

Yes, it appears that Asus has a lot to gain between the Transformer and the Nexus 7.

7. redux

redux Very Tilted

Apple is facing an anti-trust lawsuit from the Dept of Justice on illegal price-fixing on e-books that, IMO, Apple is likely to lose.

Unfortunately, the case wont go to court until next June.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

I am reading this on a Samsung Galaxy2 7inch 8gb (expandable to 40gb with a 32gs card) tab that is running Android ICS anc cost £200, half the price of the nearest equivalent iPad.

So far, I am very impressed. My wife has a 16gb iPad 2 wifi which I also rate highly, but it is not worth twice the money, imho.

9. cis689

cis689 Slightly Tilted

I have a ipad2 and a Nexus7. I like the size of the ipad2 but kinda prefer the design of the Nexus.

10. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

You may be interested in the Nexus 10, in that case. It just released, and looks to be a great tablet for folks who are into the 10" form factor.

I love my Nexus 7, personally. I prefer it to the 10" tablets because it's easy to hold one-handed. Makes it great for general lounging around purposes.

• Like Like x 2
  11. cis689

cis689 Slightly Tilted

I seen those!!! I want it :)

12. Baraka_Guru

The Nexus 7 is attractively priced compared to the iPad mini ($209 vs. $329), but then again I would have a hard time giving up the OS integration I'd get with the iPad.

Yes, if I ever make the leap to a reader type device, it will likely be a tablet for multifunction. I'm still clinging to the idea, however, that e-ink is what will sell me ultimately for reading books.

I'm conflicted.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  13. cis689

cis689 Slightly Tilted

Looking for a tab for my kids for xmas. Anyone have the Kindle Fire? I would think for roughly the same price the winner would be the Nexus7.

They need to drop the price on that iPad mini. Pretty pricey for what you are getting (and compared to the competition)

14. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 ($199) and it's friggin' fantastic. Martian is absolutely correct about it being better than a 10". It fits in my friggin' jacket pocket and I can palm it when I'm using it instead of holding/balancing it like an expensive clipboard as is such with the larger screen.

• Like Like x 1
  15. cis689

cis689 Slightly Tilted

What made ya go with the Samsung over the others at the same price?

16. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

It has a 32gb microSD slot for crazy expansion.

That and Martian recommended it.

• Like Like x 3
  17. cynthetiq

Dude you like 7 inches better than 10 inches. There I said it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

I have a Kindle and I love it.

As an E-reader, its light enough to comfortably hold in one hand while walking or sitting or laying in bed or whatever, and has great battery life.

An Ipad does a lot more than a Kindle, but if the primary function is reading books, it is just a bit heavy and cumbersome, even if you get a strap. You cant (or I cant) comfortably hold an Ipad between two figures while I'm shifting about .

• Like Like x 1
  19. Baraka_Guru

This is why the iPad mini appeals to me.

The key thing is having a book reader/news reader combo. Some news apps have text articles with links to video clips and even radio broadcasts (more or less in podcast form). Pretty awesome.

I'm kinda upset they made it, for now I'm actually wanting a tablet.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  20. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

The iPad mini needs the retina screen... The iPad (4) with retina display is about as perfect as you can get.