1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Tablet: iPad, Kindle, Nook, oh my!

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by PonyPotato, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Don't know, haven't seen the IPad mini, I just like Amazon's service and I've been completely happy with the kindle.

The only thing that would make me think about changing would be if an e-reader came out with a way I could move my existing mobi file to, and with a really good text to voice function (the kindle function for that is diabolical to be fair)

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

3. aquafox

aquafox Getting Tilted

Nexus 7 and nexus 10 have my tablety eyes focused.... not sure if the 7 will be big enough to make a differentiation from my phone.

4. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

For the record, since I got my 7 I barely use my phone for anything aside from phone-type things. I was eyeing a Nexus 4 but I think I've decided that it's silly to spend $400 on a new phone when I'm not doing much with the one I have. I'm of the opinion that 7" is the ideal size for a tablet -- it's big enough that typing on it is easy and I can read on it or play games on the bus, and it fits in a jacket pocket.

I've got a 16 GB which is fine. I'd suggest getting the 32 if you're buying one now -- the options were 8 or 16 when I was buying.

• Like Like x 4
  5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I WANT ONE SO BAD.

I don't know how to convince E. I need one. Help me.

6. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Do like other girls and withhold sex.

7. snowy

That doesn't work for me.

8. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

It will make school stuff so much more efficient and portable. S has the nexus 7 and loves it. Because of my astigmatism I can't read for long on any of them. But, being able to pull up a document on the fly in a readable and annotated format is invaluable in class. If you share it for his new school stuff, too, that might help with the convincing.

9. Alistair Eurotrash

Just bought a 32GB Nexus 7 for my son for Christmas. Nice thing. I have a 10" tablet and would much prefer this. The 7" is just easier to manipulate and is all around more practical.

10. Baraka_Guru

All this talk about the tablet size sweet spot is making me jones for an iPad mini.

11. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

That's a point. As of Android 4.2.1 you can now have multiple user accounts on one device. So snowy, you can have one account and our hubby can have his own; you can both set it up how you like it in terms of apps, email, calendar, etc, without stepping on each others' toes.

If you want the 'pure' Android experience, the Nexus devices are the way to go.

12. snowy

See, that's what I told him, but he doesn't believe me. Perhaps he'll understand better with recent illustrations. In dealing with his grandpa situation, it's meant me trying to do my reading in the car to and from places, which isn't easy when the majority of the reading is PDF files. Balancing my laptop on my lap was very, very uncomfortable. I'm also hopeful that the experience made my MIL take pity on me and maybe she'll get me an awesome Christmas present. Hubs has been hinting heavily that I want a tablet for a few months.

Maybe I'll just buy one and deal with the consequences.

13. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Tell him I'll send him 'snaps if he buys you one. Or I'll give you the secret recipe.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

7"
    The New 10"

...​

15. Baraka_Guru

Who needs more than a handful, amiright?

16. snowy

Good news! I said I wanted a Nexus 7. He said sure, after all the bills are paid...

So, January, at the earliest.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

I think I'm the only 10" purist here. Then again I'm not exactly the control group given that I can fit my laptop into my jacket without stretching the pockets any.

18. aquafox

aquafox Getting Tilted

What kinda trench coat do you wear?

19. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

I don't own a trenchcoat, just an old scottevest.

20. snowy

I just ordered one. I got enough money for Christmas to afford it. I went for the 32GB Nexus 7, and I ordered it from Newegg as I saw in multiple reviews that if something goes wrong, it's a bitch to deal with Google's customer service, and it can be a bitch to deal with ASUS. I figured since I was already familiar with returns at Newegg, and have zero issues ordering from them and using their service, I'd go that route. It was the same price plus $2 for shipping. SO EXCITED! It should be here early next week.

• Like Like x 1