1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Tablet: iPad, Kindle, Nook, oh my!

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by PonyPotato, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Give us a good rundown when it arrives, I keep hearing good things about the Nexus tablets but at the same time I like the idea of the Transformers. It'd be nice to hear about a Nexus device from someone that's not reviewing for a tech site.

2. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

My Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 at 7 inch has upgraded to Jellybean in the last month, and I am even more impressed, if anything than I was. It beats the Nexus by having a better (but slightly slower) hardware spec.

3. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I wasn't aware I was reviewing for a tech site. I should figure out which one it is so I can get after them about paying me.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

*Other than Martian

_

5. Since I'm going back to school, I'm thinking I may need a new device, and thought a tablet may be the best way to go. I gotta keep up with all these young college kids. However, I'm going crosseyed looking at all the tablet options these days. Will someone just tell me what to buy.

1. I am dumb when it comes to technology
    2. Major purchases make me nauseous (I thought my brother was going to have to admit me to the hospital when I was buying a new car)
    3. I don't know what works best for what.

What I need:

I need something light-weight. Has capabilities to work with various disability software if needed. Has a keyboard. Easy to work with. Easy to read. I will be using it to take notes, write papers, research....you know, school stuff.

For personal use, I want to be able to skype with my niece and nephew and play angry birds or some shit.

I am familiar with the apple model after having had an iPhone for awhile. I hate all the constant updates though. Mine is a 3 and I refuse to get a new phone until I absolutely have to. I don't need all the bells and whistles just as long as it works, however, the operating system doesn't run a lot of the apps I use so very often so it's becoming a bit obsolete. But I digress.

Just tell me what to buy you smart TFP tech savvy folks.

6. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I'm not tech savvy, but I've been looking at tablets for a while now, before I decide to buy.

Here are a bunch of images for the Galaxy Note 10.1
    galaxy note 2 - Google Search
    With the Note, you can use the stylus to take hand-written notes which you can convert to text.

And the smaller sized Nexus 7
    Nexus 7 - Google Search
    There's a Bluetooth keyboard that you can buy for the Nexus 7. Not sure if there's one for the Note.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  7. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

When my Nexus 7 arrives this week, I'll let you check it out. I got it mostly for reading all the documents I have to read for school. For notetaking, I still use a laptop, but that might change. I'm looking at the different keyboard options right now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks Fremen

Those two keep popping up in my research

Thanks snowy, i'd love to try it out

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. snowy

It arrives sometime on Wednesday. I spent the morning looking at keyboards that are also cases. If anyone has used one in combination with a Nexus 7, I'd be interested to hear about it.

10. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I can only relate to my personal experience with being liberated from my desktop. It's fucking WONDERFUL to read and surf from wherever I want, sofa, dining table, bed, bathroom, kitchen, park, anywhere and everywhere.

11. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I could go all nerd on you here. I've done it before. Ask Plan9 when he gets back; he's got some novel-esque private messages from me about this crap. But if you want someone to tell you what to buy I can make things really simple:

* If you want a 7" tablet, get a Nexus 7.
    * If you want a 10" Tablet, get either a Galaxy Tab or a Nexus 10.
    * If you want an iPad, what the hell are you asking me for? There's only one model.

iPads are stupid expensive and only really worth it if you live within the Apple ecosystem (and even then I personally think it's a bit questionable). I love the 7" form factor because it's big enough to be easily readable/usable but small enough I can cram it in a jacket pocket and hold it one-handed. In terms of price and features, nothing beats the Nexus 7 right now at that form factor.

10" is a little bigger and bulkier -- this is the form factor of the original iPad, to give you an idea, about the size of a clipboard. The Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 goes for about $50 less than a Nexus 10, is much easier to find (Google's had a hell of a time keeping up with demand on their Nexus devices lately) and comes with an SD card slot so you can add more storage. The Nexus 10 is a bit more powerful, and like all Nexus devices comes with a plain Android install so you've always got the latest and greatest Android version without having to root the device and constantly flash new ROMs. I'm a huge Nexus fanboy so I'd lean towards the Nexus 10, but honestly it's a bit of a toss-up. If cost is a factor, that extra $50 could be a big leap.

I don't know what you need in terms of accessibility options. Android has some accessibility features built-in. If there's no baked-in support to do what you need to do, I'd guess that There's An App For That.

The Bluetooth protocol has in-built HID standards, just like USB. If your tablet is capable of Bluetooth pairing (and all of them are, as far as I'm aware) it'll work with any Bluetooth keyboard, at least in theory.

I have a book-style case with a magnetic bluetooth keyboard that snaps in and out. I don't often use it. The big problem with it is the size -- it adds a lot of bulk to the device, and that takes away one of the biggest advantages of the Nexus 7.

This is the keyboard case I have, and rarely use:

Amazon.com: Poetic Keybook for the Google Nexus 7 Android Tablet by Asus: Computers & Accessories

This is the keyboardless case I settled on, and works better for daily use:

Amazon.com: GMYLE Black PU Leather Magnetic Slim Fit Folding Folio Flip Case Cover Stand with Wake-Up Sleep function for ASUS Google Nexus 7-Inch Android 4.1 8GB 16GB Tablet: Computers & Accessories

This one looks like it could be a reasonable compromise, but I don't have any hands-on with it:

Amazon.com: MiniSuit Google Nexus 7 Bluetooth Keyboard Case + Stand (Slim Rubberized Non-Slip Grip Back): Computers & Accessories

And here's a video, because I wasn't 100% clear on how it works from the pictures:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWy3C4DAoOc

• Like Like x 3
  12. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

There is also the increasingly legitimate option of using something like Swiftkey on-screen on 10" tablets. It's almost spooky accurate on my phone after a learning from me a bit, to the point I can just about put in gibberish and get almost exactly what I meant to say. I wouldn't rely on it for heavy note taking classes but when you're getting a few lines per powerpoint it's hard to beat.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

Swiftkey, Swype and similar input methods work only as well as they are implemented for your language. Many things can factor in in how well they work, like if the device language and input language are different. I set English as default language on most devices as I don't always understand the translation. Auto correct is also lifted to new level when using multiple languages :)

14. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

Personally, I have an iPad and I use the Notability app to take notes in class. It means I can hand write my notes, draw pictures, etc. which is far more effective for me in terms of memory. I then take those notes and type the really important stuff out later to study for exams.

15. snowy

I ordered a stylus for my Nexus 7 and plan on using that for the time being. This app looks like it has most of the functionality for taking notes that I personally need, especially the ability to draw all over PDFs. There are a lot of choices in Android as far as notetaking apps go.

16. Rebel CR

Rebel CR Vertical

i missed not having a keyboard with my iPad so i recently purchased a laptop

i also build websites on my iMac 27" desktop, so not being able to see a finished site live on a smaller screen was also extremely frustrating. like PonyPotato, i have the Notability app on my iPad too but handwriting takes up a lot of room so you can end up with pages and pages using the Notability. tpying notes into the laptop usually takes less than one page ;)

in comparison, like the iPhone i tried, i wish i'd never bought my iPad

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

It's all about the iPad, IMO. Mrs. Levite and I both have one, hers full size, mine mini. I use the Kindle app for reading (and a bunch of various Judaica apps, not that that's relevant for most here). Awesome sauce. Thought briefly about a Kindle device, but...nope. I have been an Apple devotee since before Macs. Not about to change now.

18. snowy

I've discovered I don't really need a keyboard with my Nexus 7. The intuitive swipe keyboard works just fine, especially with the stylus.

19. Rebel CR

Rebel CR Vertical

i find it far easier to type with a real keyboard myself so even on my smartphone, using the stylus is slower because of the typos resulting from the neighbouring character entered

i strongly suggested PonyPotato, if you think you may need/want a keyboard, buy a laptop with a keyboard

if you don't, the error will cost you when deciding not to after discovering you do need a keyboard on your keyboardless tablet ;)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  20. Rebel CR

Rebel CR Vertical