1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Tax on saturated fats in food

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Alistair, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Farmers are growing corn for ethanol. The food industry is simply riding on the back of that subsidy.

2. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

3. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

I guess it depends on the link. I've managed to find the number $7 billion thrown out in regard to subsidies for corn production related to ethanol and 40% of US corn production targeted to the ethanol industry. (seems high enough to regard it as a big beneficiary of the subsidies but ADM is certainly benefiting as well) But the info out there seems to be a bit contradictory and I'm not really sure where HFCS fits into the picture in terms of how much it is is alloted through the subsidies.
    http://zfacts.com/p/63.html
    http://www.naturalnews.com/033369_corn_ethanol_food_prices.html
    It would appear though that Congress is getting ready to pull the plug on corn subsidies. I don't know if that is targeted specifically at ethanol or at other corn products as well.

4. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

The subsidy for corn has existed a lot longer than the biofuel subsidy.

Corn and soya have been massively subsidized since the 70s thanks to Nixon and his agriculture secretary, Earl Butz.

Thanks to that policy change, we have frequent surplus of corn and soya, mono-crop culture in much of the mid-west fields and a lot of shitty, but cheap, foods in our stores.