1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe Tea: What are you steeping these days?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by cynthetiq, Aug 4, 2011.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Really good tea doesn't need either...unless it's meant to have them. Some really burly Assams and English Breakfast teas go very well with milk and sugar, but that's because they have the weight to do so. However, I've come to enjoy those teas plain over time.

2. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Microplaners can also be found at BBB for about ten bucks.

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

This is directed at @Chris Noyb

One good experiment would be to try an Assam (or breakfast) tea black, then with a bit of milk, then with a bit of milk & sugar (or honey). Cycle through that a few times to get your palate used to the differences. You'll find it gets easier to appreciate heavy teas when you let them shine through. Next, get yourself a half-decent Darjeeling. Don't—don't ever—"doctor" a Darjeeling. If I ever find out you've desecrated such a leaf, I will have a few "choice words" for you. Anyway, going from the Assam or breakfast tea to a Darjeeling will let you appreciate the distinct differences between the teas.

Damnit, I really need a Darjeeling now. I don't think I have any on hand. :(

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I don't know if I'll ever get used to straight tea, about the closest I've came is green tea with just a little sugar and no milk. At least I don't put lemon in my tea (gag) be it hot or iced.

One of the workers at the assisted living facility where my FIL lives is a total tea freak/connoisseur, he's into tea the way some people are into wine. He has an electric hot water kettle that lets him set the water temp to match the tea.

My wife says she's cold. It's time to brew some hot tea, straight for her, desecrated for me :D.

5. Baraka_Guru

See, the thing is, if you're just steeping a run-of-the-mill orange pekoe, then you may never appreciate straight tea. Try a Darjeeling straight, and you might like it. It's like green tea or oolong that way. It's much better on its own.

I've always wanted one of those.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

Some chai from a local tea shop from when I visited @damnitall in July. So delicious, especially with a little bit of milk and honey.

• Like Like x 2
  7. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I've been into green tea with honey in the afternoons these days...

8. snowy

I love some good chai. I ought to pick some up at my friend's shop.

9. snowy

• Like Like x 1
  10. Baraka_Guru

It's true. It's difficult to find an Irish breakfast tea in these parts, especially loose leaves. People must assume having an English breakfast tea suffices.

It does not.

Not malty enough.

11. snowy

It's pretty damn delicious. I drank that way too quickly!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chris Noyb

I had some hot tea a few weeks back that curdled the milk. The milk was well within the Use By date, it hadn't sat out to spoil, it tasted just fine, and was fine when I used it in other hot teas.

Unfortunately I can't remember the type of tea, I know the brand was Zaos, perhaps Zeos.

13. Baraka_Guru

@snowy

As it happens, my local grocery store recently stocked Bewley's Irish breakfast tea. Now I can get a proper blend directly from the motherland!

And at $0.09 a cup, you can't go wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  14. snowy

Malty!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chris Noyb

Organic (whatever that means these days) green tea for me. My wife dug out our tea balls so that she could enjoy some loose tea that someone regifted to her, currently English afternoon tea.

16. snowy

If you ever get serious about loose-leaf, I really recommend picking up a Finum tea basket: Home Tea balls don't allow much room for expansion of the leaves, which means that the water doesn't circulate as well around the leaves; it's a disservice to good tea. My Finum is five years old or so and still in great shape. I've tried other tea baskets (Bodum, Republic of Tea), but the Finum wins, hands down.

17. Chris Noyb

The Finum products look interesting. Around here it's usually tea bags, if we have loose tea it's because it was a gift. The fellow we knew who was the tea conniseur with all the accessories (he took tea as seriously as some people take wine) is/was one of the activities people who is mysteriously no longer employed at the place where my FIL lives.

18. snowy

It's easy to become that person, haha.

19. Baraka_Guru

I've been steeping a lot of Irish breakfast tea in my attempt to get off the bean.

It's a cheap tea though. It's a box of 80 tea bags that I bought for less than $10. But it's serving my purposes. I've been brewing it strong and adding milk and sugar, like I would with coffee most of the time. I've been back and forth with this and coffee, but now I'm down to just this tea with a bit of maple sugar (no dairy).

I've had some loose-leaf oolong on occasion, but I'm trying to stick to the Irish blend because I want to get through it. I also have half a box of green tea bags I need to get through. I want to go back to loose leaf tea exclusively. These teas I got merely for convenience and cost. However, I miss quality tea.

I'm thinking of sticking mostly to green and oolong, but I really enjoy black tea in the morning. I think I may eventually replace the Irish breakfast blend with a nice Darjeeling that I can drink black. I want to get off the sugar and dairy in tea completely.

So I'm looking at Darjeeling for breakfast, green and oolong during the day, and probably herbal blends in the evening (after 6 p.m.). I have some chamomile I'm currently working through, but I tend to like blends better—something with mint and lemon balm, usually.

Anyway, that's what I'm looking at. I've been drinking as much as five cups of coffee per day recently, partly because I've been so busy with work. I find that coffee has a negative impact on me though. It tends to increase my anxiety, and I'm sure drinking that much affects my sleep quality. The most important thing, though, is that I tend to enjoy drinking tea more than coffee.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Chris Noyb

I've been trying to leave milk out of my hot tea, but I can't give up my sugar. Splenda is acceptable in hot tea, but there are times when only real sugar will taste right. It's a good thing that I drink the inexpensive stuff :D.

@Baraka_Guru, have you purchased a water kettle with an adjustable thermostat? You had previously mentioned wanting one.