1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe Tea: What are you steeping these days?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by cynthetiq, Aug 4, 2011.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Ugh, the only tea milk and sugar belong in is Irish Breakfast or other strong, malty teas.

Better break that habit good before trying to switch to Darjeeling, @Baraka_Guru, or you're going to ruin the floral notes. Plus, you shouldn't need sugar with a good Darjeeling.

Man, now I need to make some tea. Fortunately, I just paid way too much for some at Teavana. ;)

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Why, I never! What do you take me for? I have never in my life adulterated a Darjeeling such. :p

Do it.

3. snowy

I will, after I drink all this coffee. :D

4. Baraka_Guru

Part of the reason, possibly, is that you're drinking the inexpensive stuff. Broken or dusty tea tends to release way more tannins, making a bitter brew.

Try a first-flush Darjeeling black. It's called the champagne of teas, so consider it more like wine than coffee. You wouldn't add sugar and milk to wine, would you?

No. I like the idea in principle, but I also like keeping things simple, especially making tea.

• Like Like x 1
  5. snowy

It's true with both good tea and good coffee--no sugar needed.

6. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

We enjoy hot tea, but we keep it simple & cheap.

Kroger had certain types of Bigelow on sale three boxes for $5.00; that's 20 individually wrapped tea bags for $1.66. Fortunately my wife's standby tea, Earl Grey, was one of them. Two boxes of EG, one box of Spiced Chai.

Sam's has a box of Bigelow organic green tea, 160 individually wrapped bags, for $7.99.

I'm going to have a large mug of green tea (2 bags) with lunch.

7. Baraka_Guru

This is true, but I find that there are way more variables for the end-user to consider when making coffee. Given good beans and good leaves, it's much easier to brew a great cup of tea vs. a great cup of coffee.
    --- merged: May 20, 2014 at 11:49 AM ---
    That's some cheap tea. The difference between a $0.05 cup of tea and a $0.75 cup of tea is noticeable, but I'm not going to try to convince you that the latter is 15 times better. (Though I could really argue such if you'd like.)

Perhaps there is a middle ground. I've often had tea that would come out to $0.30 or $0.40 a cup that was pretty spectacular. You might even do well on $0.20 a cup.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014
  8. Chris Noyb

Dude, you haven't lived until you've had raw brown sugar and heavy whipping cream in a crisp, dry white wine.
    --- merged: May 20, 2014 at 11:58 AM ---
    BG, you & Snowy will need to compare notes regarding the better teas. The differences between teas, subtle or major, would be mostly lost on me.
    --- merged: May 20, 2014 at 12:16 PM ---
    The increase in quality rarely matches the increase in price. Be it wines, cigars, teas, etc.
    I'll use acoustic guitars as my example:
    My wife has a $2,000.00 dollar all solid woods (ASW) acoustic guitar that sounds great.
    Some friends have $4,000.00 ASW acoustic guitars that don't come anywhere close to sounding 2x better.
    Some friends have $8,000.00 ASW acoustic guitars that don't come anywhere close to sounding 4x better.
    Some friends have $12,000.00 ASW acoustic guitars that don't come anywhere close to sounding 6x better.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Baraka_Guru

I'll keep it simple.

Some people drink cheap (mass produced) beer because "beer is beer." (Woo-hoo?) Others prefer quality craft/microbrew beer because "life is too short to drink shitty beer."

You may not know the difference between cheap tea and quality tea. Yes, some tea gets ridiculously expensive, but paying $0.40 a cup for tea isn't ridiculous, especially if it avoids having to drink bitter/skanky tea. I remember once buying a really cheap box of Chinese green tea. It was so inferior that I couldn't finish drinking it, and I gave it away.

I did the same thing after drinking a bottle of Coors Light from the case of twenty-four my sister bought me on my nineteenth birthday.

• Like Like x 2
  10. snowy

Coors Light has its place. Besides, it doesn't taste bad, per se, as it really doesn't taste like much. :p

With tea, there is some shopping around to do. Places like Buy Loose Leaf Tea Online | Free shipping over $49 price their teas pretty well. Teavana tends to be on the more expensive side, and then they want to sell you a huge amount (and all that wafting!). No, thanks. I fell for that once, and never again. Local tea shops tend to have the best prices and are willing to sell in smaller quantities. Plus, they may have unique relationships with their wholesalers that allow them to get special teas. For example, I have this High Mountain Formosa that is very close to Ali Shan in quality, flavor, and appearance; I got it because my local tea shop asked their wholesaler to look out for something similar to Ali Shan. Ali Shan is absolutely worth the price you pay for it to try it; that said, part of what you're paying for is the cachet of drinking Ali Shan.

11. Baraka_Guru

Yes, sometimes "beer is beer."

Shopping around does pay off, I've found. I'm generally a cheapskate. I've managed on a few occasions to find teas of really high quality with reasonable pricing. I think it's often simply a matter of where it comes from. Some sources can justify higher prices based on demand/fame, while others are cheap I'm sure because of exchange rates, rather than any reflection on quality.

That said, I should consider buying my tea online. I've never done that before, but it's out of my way to shop for tea at bricks 'n' mortar stores at my current residence. Now I'm wondering about Canadian companies.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Chris Noyb

Prof. BG, give me some credit, I actually do understand what you're saying.

In a few minutes, I'm going to enjoy a cup of Bigelow Constant Comment, doctored with sugar & milk,
    if that's OK with you :rolleyes: .

• Like Like x 1
  13. Baraka_Guru

Don't patronize me. I know I'm the TFP's resident Cliff Clavin. :D

• Like Like x 2
  14. Chris Noyb

Sounds like signature material to me!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Baraka_Guru

Ah, damn it. My local tea shop just announced the arrival of this season's first-flush Darjeeling.

I can't not get some. I just can't.

16. Chris Noyb

Hey, folks, in one of my thrift store/resale shop adventures, I found a small plastic tea pot labelled TeaVana (sp?). It has strainer that plugs into the bottom of the pot, first time I've seen one.

Is it worth $1.00?
    Will it hold up to repeated uses with boiling water?

17. snowy

Is it like this one:
    Teavana Perfectea Tea Maker: Make Tea Easy
    | Teavana

Polycarbonate should stand up to a great deal of abuse.

18. Chris Noyb

That be it. Any experience using it?

We don't use loose tea very often, what we do use is ground, not whole leaves.

19. snowy

Nope. I have a handmade ceramic teapot that I use if I'm brewing a whole pot. Usually, though, I just use a large mug and my Finum.

20. Baraka_Guru

• Like Like x 1