1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe Tea: What are you steeping these days?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by cynthetiq, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Just don't wear a shirt or badge that reads, "Is four minutes long enough for you?".

• Like Like x 1
  2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

"I teabag on the first date."

• Like Like x 2
  3. Baraka_Guru

I'm ready to tear into another 10.6 oz of high mountain oolong.

• Like Like x 1
  4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Ohhhh yeah. Good stuff.

5. Baraka_Guru

The best part? It was gifted to my SO from one of her students. We got the exact same stuff last year. It's $70 worth of tea.

She doesn't drink it.

So I might as well, right?

• Like Like x 1
  6. snowy

Yes. And enjoy it. But I'm sure you will.

7. Baraka_Guru

I'm doing that right now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Baraka_Guru

Apparently, flirting with the young woman at the tea shop paid off. She scooped the finer quality matcha but charged me for the lower quality matcha, basically giving me a 25% discount.

Now, I'm not sure whether this was due to her reciprocating or due to error because she was so distracted by my charm. :cool:

It couldn't have been the pocket watch, as she didn't get a chance to see it.

Oh, and this first-flush Darjeeling is to die for. Get you some before it's gone.

• Like Like x 1
  9. snowy

Probably a bit of both.

And I need to find a good tea shop near here. I'm sure there are several to choose from all over Portland, but I need to figure out which one is closest to my abode.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Baraka_Guru

I want to drink more tea. There are still three I haven't gotten to:
    • Maojian green tea (a Famous China Tea)—never tried it
    • The aforementioned "extra fine" matcha—never tried it
    • Second-flush Darjeeling (FTGFOP 1!)—it's been a while

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  11. snowy

Picked up a loose leaf Assam last week. It's already almost gone, and I bought 2 oz. It's very malty and robust.

I went back to the shop yesterday and bought some Madame Grey. Nostalgia at work, mostly, in asking for it, but it's really quite good.

I'm in a very tea mood lately, and it makes me grateful that I have access to so many wonderful teas again. There are definite upshots to being good friends with the town's tea purveyors!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Baraka_Guru

I'm definitely in tea mode these days.

I've been enjoying some wild black tea from southern China that has a hint of honey sweetness, which makes it good to drink black. Though I think I'm leaning back towards green tea and maybe Darjeeling. We'll see what happens the next time I'm at the shop.

Today I had some Gyokuro. That's some serious shit.

• Like Like x 1
  13. snowy

Damn, I need some of that.

14. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

Traditional Medicinal hibiscus blend at present.
    But I did find some lapsang souchon hiding in the cabinet the other day. The smoked leaves make it pair curiously well with a good and proper whiskey.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Loose Leaf Tea can always be found in my cup at home or in my thermos. But Bagged Tea, is my choice for traveling or for days of constant movement.
    Loose Tea: Either something from Capital Teas or Teavana. I've been on a Rooibos and Oolong streak recently. But I'm really an Herbal kind of guy. I always just toss a scoop or two in the strainer. Or three to four scoops in the thermos.

Bagged Tea: Almost always Earl Gray, or anything mint. I keep some in my car, my room, in my backpack, and in my chest rig.

16. Chris Noyb

Y'all would've liked my thrift store find the other day. One store had a couple of nice tea pots with the 'strainers' designed for loose leaves. One was glass, made in Germany, I can't recall the brand name; the other was plastic with no brand name. I still have the Teavana pot--the top part that holds the water & tea--that I bought for a $1.00.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chris Noyb

I tried the Bigelow Chocolate Chai black tea. The chocolate flavor isn't that strong once the tea is steeped, but the flagrance is really strong when I open the foil pack. Almost unpleasantly strong.

18. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

I enjoy a lot of Traditional Medicinals' blends. I'm currently drinking the hibiscus blend. It's surprisingly tart, and it's awesome hot or chilled.

19. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I'm steeping my liver, and it's going quite well thank you

20. Chris Noyb

Tetley black & green tea mix, it has a very nice flavor. I'm not thrilled that the pods were loose; they're now in zip lock storage bags.