1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe Tea: What are you steeping these days?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by cynthetiq, Aug 4, 2011.

1. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Ooh...I have that in my pantry. It's yummy...I like it even better than coffee (and I love coffee.)

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Irish tea is one of my absolute favourites. I consider it the coffee of teas.

Unforutnately, I haven't found a tea shop around here that carries it. I can only get it in the grocery store, but at least I can get loose-leaf there. I shall have to pick some up soon.

I'm not sure if this is the best way, but I store mine in well-sealed metal tins. I think the general trick is to store tea well away from light and air.

3. Baraka_Guru

I've moved back to organic sencha for my green tea. It's my mainstay green, and 100 grams double steeped will last a while, even at four cups a day. :)

4. Baraka_Guru

I seem to have moved into a pattern with my tea, but I'm happy with it.

First thing in the morning, I make a bowl of matcha tea. Immediately after enjoying that, I brew a double-cup of sencha (though I may occasionally have gyokuro every so often as a treat).

By 11 or 12, I steep the sencha leaves a second time for another double cup.

In the afternoon, I have a double cup of a tulsi (holy basil) blend, which also includes saffron, fennel seed, licorice root, star anise, orange peel, peppermint, and lemongrass. (Cyn, if you're still in India, you should try some tulsi if you can.)

In the evening, I have a double cup of a chamomile blend, which also includes lemongrass, fennel seeds, hibiscus flowers, lemon peel, orange peel, licorice root, lemon myrtle, and rose petals.

It's quite a nice cycle. Relaxed stimulation in the morning, and then a nice soothing wind-down from afternoon to evening.

And it's all very tasty.

5. sgbsteve

sgbsteve Getting Tilted

how do you know if you can reuse the leaves? just trial and error?

6. wolf Evil Grin

I am onto Mint Green Tea for the summer... really refreshing when served on ice.

7. Baraka_Guru

It only works with certain teas: greens and oolongs as far as I know (and maybe white; never tried it). Black and herbals? I'm not sure it works.

8. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I have steeped blacks a second time but they don't taste as good as greens and oolongs. I think that's because of the high water temperature. Herbals I have done but they lose their brightness.

Oolongs I have steeped up until 6 times for the ali shan and 3 times for the li shan. I probably can do more with the li shan but I keep forgetting for some reason.

I'll try to find the tulsi some place.

9. sgbsteve

sgbsteve Getting Tilted

thanks. i've got some irish breakfast and earl grey. i think my next one to try will be an oolong

10. cynthetiq

note steeping a formosa oolong is just like steeping a black. Not worth it and doesn't taste as good.

11. Baraka_Guru

True. I've found that you have to go with Ti Kuan Yin (aka Iron Goddess) at least if you want multiple steeping. Iron Goddess is a good standard oolong in my book, though the higher grade (i.e. higher cost) oolongs will certainly take a lot of punishment throughout the day.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pot to the kettle, never kettle to the pot.
    Like Zen, pg tips mostly, but also like a drop of assam, earl grey with lemon - Lapsang - I call that bonfire tea, it reminds me of walking home in the damp autumn air, with bonfire smoke loitering around. Have some stick tea to try - been putting it off. As to things like blackcurrant tea - nah, not for me - might as well have cordial and hot water.
    Do not like de caff any more than I like skimmed milk.
    The dogs love tea. Tea in bed for breakfast, every time is 3 to them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGQASun9d8E

13. cynthetiq

I've been terrified to have any roadside treats here in India. Today I had a masala chai. Holy shit. It was the best thing I've ever every had for 5 ruppees (currentl 45 ruppees to US$1)

It was so crazy good like a spiced hot chocolate without the chocolate. I'm hoping that he's there later tonight so I can get another before/after dinner.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Remy

Remy Vertical

Baraka has some good ideas, sounds tasty.
    I always manage to mess up my teas. Too bitter, etc...
    Then I saw the food network/iron chef guy on tv talkin about making tea. How you dont want boiling water for blacks, but you do for greens, etc.... I had no idea.

So after that I figured out; Blacks, hot water for 1-2min max, greens boiling for 1min max, and herbals, hot for a few minutes or longer.

Though I havent gotten into tea leaves much, I do like them, in Lux/Germany there is a called Tegesschwender, that is all tea stuff. I may load up on some pre-made mixes there, but would never have the knowledge to mix teas on my own since they are expensive as it is.

I suppose I like Early Grey variations with Vanilla Syrup for sweetener or the standard PGtips black. I also like the Starbucks black iced tea with Raspberry syrup and may rarely make Thai Iced Tea from a bag of tea leaves from the asian store. Though making the Thai tea is very time consuming and messy.

I think the tea isle at the store is one of my favorite isles. That, and the organic soap area with all the rosemary, clove etc scented soaps. I manage to take in those two isles before my little boy rushes me off to the JellyBelly isle, no surprise there.

15. Baraka_Guru

This is out of whack with what I've read in various sources.

From what I gather, green tea is more delicate because of the lack of oxidization that you find in black tea. Usually the tea is just steamed and/or boiled, sometimes fried or roasted on top of that, but no oxidization. This is why you'll usually hear that you shouldn't use boiling water for green tea, as it will destroy the flavour. I've heard anything from 70 C to 85 C as opposed to 100 C (boiling) for greens. Blacks are more robust, being fully oxidized, and can be steeped in boiling or near-boiling (preferred) water.

Steeping time is closer in line to what you say. 1 to 3 minutes are preferred for most greens. However, I've seen that blacks should be at least 3 and sometimes up to 5 minutes for steeping. Most will say around 4 minutes.

Herbals are different. They often require long steeping times to get the benefit from them. In that case, I've seen anywhere from 5 to 7 minutes to 10 or 12 minutes. Depending on the plant, sometimes simmering makes sense (ginger, for example).

Though maybe the short 1 minute time with the green allows for the hotter water. Which Iron Chef guy are you talking about? Isn't there more than one guy?

16. cynthetiq

Blacks steep for 5 mins boiling water.

oolongs are good with below boiling and 3 minutes.

greens 3 mins, not boiling water, just as the water starts to get "fish eyes" at the bottom of the kettle. I think it's 175 degrees. they really taste good with low temp and short time.

herbals can be all day really...they can boil and steep and boil and steep. mostly because there aren't any tea leaves in there so they don't have the same issues.

17. Baraka_Guru

I usually steep mine for 5 minutes. When I'm after black tea, I'm after a robust and earthy beverage. I'm after a malty and slightly bitter beverage. This is why a brew it strong and long. Especially with Assams and breakfast blends, I really get everything I can out of the leaves without overdoing it. I usually use boiling water.

On the other hand, sometimes I really want a Darjeeling.

So many good teas out there!

18. cynthetiq

The only black that I didn't need to steep for 5 is a puehr. It's robust and earthy after 3 minutes and doesn't seem to get any more to me. Of course, I still wait because 5 minutes makes it not so hot to burn my tongue.

19. Baraka_Guru

20. Remy

Remy Vertical

I got some japanese green tea from costco, great stuff in aluminum sealed packets, its states very specifically boiling and I think 30seconds of steep time. any more and its REAL bitter.
    Then my PG tips or other, if I let it steep in hot/boiling for more than a minute it seems, its VERY bitter and too dark/strong. Could this be because I am at sea level? Water hardness/minerals?

I cant even count how many glasses of tea Ive messed up by letting it steep too long. :(
    I got the wifey the Keurig K-cup machine. They make Kcup teas. I have tried green and English Breakfast, both are brewed perfectly when they come out, so while about 40cents a cup, I am guaranteed a perfect tasting cup if I am in a hurry. Its a compromise, though there is no fun or art involved in it.

You remember that scene in the Last Samurai of them perfecting the art of tea drinking on the porch of one of the houses? That attention to the making of the tea, makes it taste more rewarding.
    I think I need tea making classes.