1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe Tea: What are you steeping these days?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by cynthetiq, Aug 4, 2011.

1. sgbsteve

sgbsteve Getting Tilted

the can said to use 2 tbsp of chai mix 1 cup milk and 1 cup water. bring it to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes. thats what itried to do but i wandered off and came back with it boiling over onto the stove. luckily its a glasstop stove so cleanup wasn't too bad. still tasted pretty good but i think the 3 tbsp of sugar (i used baking splenda but it measures about the same) they call for is sweeter than i would prefer.

2. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I went to World Tea Expo East today. Man some really tasty tea flavors are available as gateway teas. Saw Mr. John Harney but did not get a chance to talk to him. I got some cool teapots.

I hope to open a tea store before Christmas. I don't think I can do it in time to get Christmas orders, but I may ask some of you to help me out testing and tasting.

I got a really good shelf stable masala chai taste today. It was very authentic tasting. Just add milk, even soy milk or almond milk works. I can't wait to order a bottle.

• Like Like x 3
  3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I'd be happy to help. Sounds like a fun time at the tea expo! I'm putting the Las Vegas one on my calendar. There are few things that would convince my husband to go to Vegas, but a tea expo might.

4. cynthetiq

We wanted to go to the Vegas one this year but there was just too much going on at the time. We would have made it but I was supposed to be deep into a project that ended up getting cancelled.

I am planning on next year though.

5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I recently got some more Quangzhou Milk Oolong.

6. sgbsteve

sgbsteve Getting Tilted

i finally managed to make a cup of my chocolate chai without boiling half of it all over the stove. only took me 3 attempts. The heavier bottom on the pan i used the third time may have been the difference

7. cynthetiq

8. cynthetiq

9. b2653009 Slightly Tilted

I have a big cup of tea almost every night. Tonight it's a mix called Exotica (apparently I can't post links, so here it is: davidsteadotcom/exotica) interesting blend of spices with berries. With the recurrence of kidney stones I've been having, I've been told to avoid certain kinds of tea, and drinks in general. This one, happily, is on my "can drink" list. And I'm glad, cause its delicious. ^_^

10. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

The only reason I tried Earl Grey tea was because Picard seemed to enjoy it so. I like it very much. Clever cliche, I say.
    Same as you, never anything added, just the tea.
    My childhood tea experiences were almost exactly as yours, too.
    I moved to the U.S. when I was 6 from Canada so being raised by Canadians, specifically Ontarians, tea was a daily ritual. Right now, I'm drinking what my Dad drinks, Red Rose which is Orange Pekoe black tea.
    I consider myself completely unsophisticated about tea but curious to try new blends when I have opportunities to do so--choosing with a preference for both taste and possible health benefits.

11. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I actually prefer Twinings' Lady Grey blend over Earl Grey.

Lately I've been steeping Tension Tamer, but I think the gray, rainy afternoon we're having calls for some chai.

I also wanted to ask the general TFPopulace: have you ever made Thai iced tea from scratch, and if so, what black tea did you use? I want to try and make it myself, but I am having a hard time figuring out what kind of black tea they use.

12. cynthetiq

13. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

i am the proud new owner of some orange-flavored green tea in the coolest design for tea bags i've seen yet: rigid-ish pyramids. not sure how exactly this affects the steeping process, and its not as good as the old cherry-flavored green tea, but it tastes good and I like to stare at the tea bag :cool:

14. sgbsteve

sgbsteve Getting Tilted

I just got this delivered today. I'm not sure wether I like it yet. I do know I enjoyed the end of the cup more than the beginning.
    [​IMG]

15. cynthetiq

ooh... pu-erh...... I like it. It's like a deep dark dream with such a full body and mouth on it with a little briskness.

16. sgbsteve

sgbsteve Getting Tilted

I tried another cup this time with a spoonful of honey and the flavors all came alive. With the honey in it I really like it.

17. cynthetiq

18. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I haven't tried pu-erh yet. I don't know why not. I suppose it's because I don't know much about it. However, by your description, I'm really tempted.

I was going to go for a malty, malty black tea, as I haven't had one recently. Maybe I'll go with some pu-erh instead. Or maybe I'll get a bit of both. That's what's great about buying bulk.

19. sgbsteve

sgbsteve Getting Tilted

thats the 2nd rishi i have tried. I really liked the citron oolong too.

20. cynthetiq

I sent Baraka_Guru a care package today.

I'm having monkey picked oolong.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1