1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe Tea: What are you steeping these days?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by cynthetiq, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Eddie Getting Tilted

Well, I buy mine from a organic food co-op where I live. I don't really know how to describe the taste. It's just very earthy and herbal tasting. You should try to find a bomba, it's a silver straw that you use to sip the mate. I switch between mate and coffee a lot. I'll go on a yerba kick for a month and then switch back to coffee.

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I like Traditional Medicinals Breathe Easy with some honey when I am sick.

3. itwasme

itwasme But you'll never prove it.

Right now I am sipping zingiber ginger coconut tea. Our decaf in the cupboard is rooibos chai. I prefer strong black teas with a sweet or spicy aroma. These dont fit that bill but i am enjoying them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I had a Han Zhou oolong earlier tonight. It was very nice.

5. Irishsean

Irishsean Vertical

I picked up some Lapsang Souchong today at the tea shoppe based purely on the smell. It reminds me of the smoked salt I make in the summer, very intense smoke smell. I also picked up some more English Breakfast as I've been really enjoying it, which is weird because I haven't liked black teas before.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

Ayahuasca

;)

7. cynthetiq

there's a light one and a smokey one. my wife says it smells like burnt house when I got the really smokey one.

8. snowy

For me, a heavy black tea is better in certain seasons.

• Like Like x 1
  9. sgbsteve

sgbsteve Getting Tilted

I discovered this week that there is a tea shop a block from one of my courthouses so I had to go check it out. A whole wall of canisters to sniff was a little overwhelming so I limited myself to the rooibos since I had yet to try one of those. I ended up bringing home some Fireside Roobios with clove, cinnamon and orage and some Organic Lemon Ginger Rooibos. I tried both last night and enjoyed them both.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

This is true. I've been thinking more about heavy black teas lately. I must say the fall leading to winter calls for a heavily brewed malty tea!

• Like Like x 1
  11. sgbsteve

sgbsteve Getting Tilted

12. cynthetiq

I can't recommend it. I can recommend the breville model with the temperatures on the base and the cusinart one with the temps on the handle.

I'm in a meeting now and will look up the ones i know when I'm back at my desk.

13. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I didn't know temperature tea kettles exist! I occasionally daydream about such a fantastical item! I've never seen any around.

I would seriously consider getting one if I found it in a store.

14. Irishsean

Irishsean Vertical

I second the Breville, I have a 1.8 liter variable myself and love it. Combine that with my french press to steep in and I can pop out quite a few cups at a time. I like the variable temp kettles for the fact that a lot of teas have widely variable brewing temps, you don't want boiling water for Mate for instance.

15. cynthetiq

I can recommend both of these.

Cuisinart CPK-17 PerfecTemp 1.7-Liter Stainless Steel Cordless Electric Kettle
    [​IMG]

Breville BKE820XL Variable-Temperature 1.8-Liter Kettle
    [​IMG]

When I was at the World Tea Expo East, I saw the Adiago Ultimatea, it's eh. I guess for the price it's a good thing, but really the Breville is just an incredible kettle. Wired liked the Cuisinart much better because of temperature accuracy but really they are both very good kettles.

If you don't have one of these finum breweing baskets.... I insist you buy at least 2 of these.

Finum Brewing Basket
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. Irishsean

Irishsean Vertical

Is there any benefit to the basket as opposed to a high end glass and stainless steel coffee press?

17. cynthetiq

I don't know, can you brew rooibos and matcha without spitting out leaves?

18. Irishsean

Irishsean Vertical

I haven't tried them yet, but I have no problems even with turkish coffee, it has one of the finest filters I've seen. Its really easy to clean too.

19. snowy

The Finum basket is dishwasher safe, which is why I like it. I've tried other baskets (Republic of Tea, Bodum), but the Finum is both durable, easy to clean, and fits more of my mugs (and my teapot).
    --- merged: Nov 11, 2011 4:27 PM ---
    The Finum basket is dishwasher safe, which is why I like it. I've tried other baskets (Republic of Tea, Bodum), but the Finum is both durable, easy to clean, and fits more of my mugs (and my teapot).

20. sgbsteve

sgbsteve Getting Tilted

I got my Finum baskets yesterday. I wish I had these from the start.

• Like Like x 1