1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Tech - Shuttle computer heat problem

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Smackre, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Given that you're running DOS you probably could go to an ARM or Atom style mini-computer... but that would still just be slowing down how much you heat up that cabinet. A computer can only be as cool as the ambient air when you're using normal heatsinks or watercooling, you've got an airflow problem.

Looking at that cabinet even if you stick with shuttle PCs you could probably just dremel some spots to put a fan or four on the sides and top to get some air flowing into and out of the enclosure. I doubt that'd be following the whitepapers or any real standards... but if that's all you can do it'll be much better than nothing.

2. Ice|Burn

Ice|Burn Getting Tilted

Also since it's a shop type environment you might consider some type of a filter for the intake fans. No sense in getting the inside of the cabinet coated in dust and whatever else might be floating around in your shop.

3. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

That sure is a funny shape for airflow. If there's a panel on each side and the PSU wattage on your computers is under 350W, put a vent with a foam filter in place of each of them and drill a 3" hole at the head of the green arrow centered side-to-side. It'll produce some turbulence between the PC and monitor, but the convection current should pull enough air that it'll bring you down to acceptable temperatures.

If not, drill a pair of 90mm holes about 6" apart at the base of the red line (yes, I fucked up and made the vent green) and put vents with foam filters over them, and put your 120mm fan at the head of the arrow.pulling air out.

Either way, orient the PC' so that the fans are pulling cool air from below and exhausting toward the high vent/fan. Ducting would be ideal (ducting is always ideal,) but you can get acceptable results with minimal modification without it. Check the Middle Atlantic whitepaper I posted earlier for wattage versus airflow calculations if you want to be precise about it.