1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Texas Judge Beats Disabled Daughter on Video

Discussion in 'Found on the Net' started by Jozrael, Nov 2, 2011.

1. I got the same impression. This did not seem to be a random one off type of ass whipping. Why else would she have set up the video if she didn't expect it to happen based on past experiences?

I'll bet the judge was a victim of the same by his parents.

2. I must say Craven, you do seem to have actually watched the thing.
    Perhaps the judge should go back home and whip the shit out of his own mum and dad. Wifey can help him.

3. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

While I respect that the judge may have been a victim as a child it is not an excuse that as an adult he practices the same behaviour.
    Children and the handicapped are, essentially, defenceless. Adults do not have act on impulses that may be influenced by what happened to them as children.

4. Definitely is not an excuse for that behavior, although it may be the environment in which he was raised.

According to this website 30% of abused and neglected children will repeat that cycle of abuse. I thought the percent would have been higher, actually. http://www.childhelp.org/pages/statistics

5. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Yep. I would have thought the percentage higher, too.
    It seems a decent portion of us either choose never to have children (my brother) or resolve to never to do so to our own kids (me).

6. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

I'd argue, and that it was simple corporal punishment.

Per Texas AG:

Now what's interesting here, is the definition of 'reasonable discipline.' Reasonable's such a mushy word that it will take a good amount of legal research to see what constitutes reasonable discipline. I've seen kids throw tantrums and twist and turn to avoid corporal punishment, which is what it looks like happened here. Granted however, the Judge seems to lose his temper.

Fairly certain I'm going to get attacked for this, as I remember a very long TFP thread not long ago where the majority of TFP disagreed with striking as a means of negative reinforcement on children.

7. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

Man, that brings back memories.

Do any TFP parents use corporal punishment on their children? I get the feeling it's much more rare in 2011 than it was back in the 1980s and 90s.

8. Carbonic

Carbonic Getting Tilted

There is a HUGE difference between a brief spanking and what is seen on video here. I'll give you a clue: if there's a chance your punishment will leave a bruise, it's abuse. What is seen here most certainly "impairs a child's physical, mental or emotional health and development." Seeing someone get spanked doesn't generally bother me, though I can't imagine doing it myself. Seeing this video, on the other hand, is sickening. If you need a tool to punish your child, you're doing it wrong.

9. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Once you start hitting your kid you tread a slippery slope. Firstly, you should not be hitting them because you are angry. Go work that out in the gym. Second, what exactly are you teaching a kid when you hit them? That if they do 'X' you will inflict physical pain? How much hitting is the right amount? How can you tell when you've smacked your kid enough? If you have to keep hitting the kid doesn't that mean that hitting does not work as a deterrent to bad behaviour? At what age are do you stop hitting and start trying to teach something besides hitting as a remedy or 'lesson?'
    Yeah, I have strong feelings about being hit for several reasons but if you want a clear-eyed non-emotional one: hitting is a short term, no brain solution. Whatcha' gonna do to actually teach the kid? Wouldn't your time be better spent putting some effort into parenting that does not include physical pain?
    The sad fact is that most kids get hit when the parent loses control. So again, to the teaching: When you lose control my son (or daughter) the way a true adult reacts is with violence.
    Wonderful.

10. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

I'd spank my child(ren). Hell, if it's a bad enough thing they'll be in for a mighty good slap.

However, I just can't see how "reasonable" fits into that video.

11. If you need a tool to punish your child, you're doing it wrong.

Without the belt, he might have hurt himself. He does not seem to be such a good judge. Complaints were made when he took one child from its fit mother - no neglect - and gave custody to the father who was leaving the child with someone with severe mental health issues. Judge thought that was okay. Odd. Anyone working with children is supposed to be checked over here, but who checks the judges who work with children, deciding what is best for them.
    If he didnt want her playing computer stuff, unplug keyboard, take mouse, toss her a book.
    --- merged: Nov 3, 2011 7:27 AM ---
    If you need a tool to punish your child, you're doing it wrong.

Without the belt, he might have hurt himself. He does not seem to be such a good judge. Complaints were made when he took one child from its fit mother - no neglect - and gave custody to the father who was leaving the child with someone with severe mental health issues. Judge thought that was okay. Odd. Anyone working with children is supposed to be checked over here, but who checks the judges who work with children, deciding what is best for them.
    If he didnt want her playing computer stuff, unplug keyboard, take mouse, toss her a book.
    --- merged: Nov 3, 2011 7:28 AM ---
    If you need a tool to punish your child, you're doing it wrong.

12. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Update:
    Dad Caught On Video Beating Daughter 'Needs Help'
    [snip]"In my mind, I haven't done anything wrong other than discipline my child after she was caught stealing," Adams said. "And I did lose my temper, but I've since apologized."

When told of her father's comments, Hillary Adams said, "it's a shining perfect example of his personality and he believes he can do no wrong. ... He will cover up rather than admit to what he did and try to come clean, which is what I really want him to do."

She stressed that she did not post the video as revenge and does not want her father punished. Rather, she did it because she thinks it will force him to seek help, and because he has been harassing her and she thought posting the clip would make that stop.

"We need to reach out to victims and the abusers themselves to get people to realize what it actually is," she said.

Hillary, who was 16 at the time, said she secretly videotaped the beating in her bedroom because she "knew something was about to happen." She says her parents were angry at her for using her computer to download pirated content over the Internet.

In the clip's opening seconds, William Adams is heard telling Hillary's mother, "Go get the belt. The big one. I'm going to spank her now." With belt in hand, he turns off the light and tries forcing his daughter to bend over the bed to be beaten, but she refuses.

"Lay down or I'll spank you in your (expletive) face," Adams screams while he lashes her with sweeping blows across the legs, ignoring her wails and pleas for him to stop.[snip]

[snip]Jim Hopper, a clinical instructor in psychology at Harvard Medical School and a child abuse expert, said there is no doubt that the judge's actions crossed the line.

"This is an act of brutal violence," Hopper said. "To beat someone into submission is not discipline. To beat a child into submission makes it harder for that child to take in rules and the values that the parent believes they are imposing on the child."[snip]

13. It does terrible damage to the head I have noticed in animals.

14. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Here's my issue with all the fanfare:

I fully accept that her father needs professional help, should lose his position as judge and be punished for what he did.

That being said, there has been no word about her mother.

She participated in the entire event, beat her daughter as well and did absolutely nothing to stop what was happening.

If there will be a criminal case (hopefully statutory limitations don't apply), then her mother should be a co-defendant. Shouldn't be put at the same level as her husband, but she ought to be punished as well.

15. Most certainly she should Remixer - she was a full and seemingly willing participant in it. Her duty of care to her daughter - where was that - were she a decent person, she too would have been outraged and would have reported him.

16. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

I've got 10:1 odds he doesn't get any punishment at all. Not just because he lives in the most fucked up state in the Union, but because his daughter says she doesn't want him to be punished. That type of victim statement will have a massive impact on any proceedings ( KirStang will correct me here if I'm wrong hopefully).

All of that being considered, people disgust me. I just don't understand the thought processes of people who willingly abuse people or animals and then walk around as if nothing happened. Clearly these people are not human and should all hold their own Jim Jones style convention.

We all know that I'm not opposed to guns or violence, but when it comes to children, animals and the disabled, there is a clear and definite line. If your kid is a fuck-up or is just acting out, a spanking is fine in my book, but a beating is not.

Wish someone would have told my mother that line existed. Thankfully that bitch got what she deserved in the end.

17. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

If charges are filed in this case, the prosecutor doesn't need the victim to say anything to get a conviction. All they have to do is show this video and bam, insta-conviction. His only hope will be to rely on the rules of evidence to exclude that video.

18. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Ostensibly his daughter did this in part so that he would get help. Let's hope that happens at least.

19. According the the FL judge interviewed by Dr. Drew, the statute of limitations prevents prosecution in Texas.