1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

TFP Top Gear

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by genuinemommy, Apr 2, 2014.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I can vouch for the comfy ride.

• Like Like x 2
  2. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Ferraris.jpg

A few years ago, I went on a Ferrari driving day (work "team building" exercise). Got to drive the 3 pictured (two Ferrari 430's - one witha manual gear box, the other with the very early flappy paddles and a 360, plus a Ferrari California). Drove from near the middle of Sydney, south via the Royal national park to Kiama for lunch and then drove back. At the very end we ended up in a tunnel on the M5 motorway with four guys revving these together. Great sound :)

The dual gearboxes in the California means almost instant gear changes - unbelievably good to drive. It made the flappy paddle in the 430 look like something archaic, even though it is probably quicker than changing manually. Ferraris2.jpg

I've posted this one before - this is the California.

• Like Like x 2
  3. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

What a fantastic experience!

4. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Yep, given I'm never going to own a car like these. Pretty expensive day out, though (I didn't pay so this wasn't an issue). The biggest problem is that you don't really get them anywhere near top speed and it does leave you wanting a little more. The cornering is amazing :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. snowy

I think I'd probably orgasm just sitting in one.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Innocentmiss

Innocentmiss Getting Tilted

I think I would be too scared to drive someone else's car especially a very expensive fancy car! I refuse to borrow my dads car - a new Subaru 4x4 because everyone else who has borrowed it has dented it! I think I'd rather just relax in the passenger side.

I learned to drive in a mini (the first BMW one) I hated it - the position of the pedals were seriously un-comfy. I also found the seat got in the way of my elbow when trying to change gear, although that was perhaps due to my driving instructors insistence that I sit millimetres away from the steering wheel! I didn't mind too much as I basically did a 10 hour crash course and sat my test - surprisingly I passed?!?!?!

My first car is my true love, I named him stumpy and have had him for 7 years now! He is a baby benz (Mercedes A170 from 1999). I love him because the floor inside the car is completely flat and the passenger seats just clip out including the passengers - makes it super easy to fill with huge items such as triple wardrobes. Also super easy to clean just take out all seats and hoover! I also like the level of stuff that you get - (mine is an avantgard) sunroof, adjustable steering rack, hight adjustable seats, heated seats, alloys, air con, tinted windows, electric windows, brake assist, stability control.....I'm sure there is more but I cant think right now. At the time of buying I had a low budget so had a choice of a 99 plate vauxhall Corsa (I think its a opal in some places, it was bottom of the range and a bit scrappy, windy windows, tape player...) or the Mercedes - I choose the Mercedes because it was sparkly blue and had alloys! My sister bought the Corsa and it died about 4 years ago. I have had 85 thousand miles of adventures in my little car and have travelled from top to bottom of the UK and have taken him to France, Spain, Portugal, Gibraltar, Italy, Switzerland, Germany and Belgium! I have been to local music festivals without the seats and camped in him - much easier than pitching a tent!

Unfortunately he is a little ill at the moment and waiting on a tummy transplant - luckily I found one cheap on ebay and its on its way - the sooner the better as the more fuel I can rescue! Hopefully I can keep him forever.

I cant remember how to upload a photo right now but a google search will show how stumpy he is!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  7. omega

omega Very Tilted

For work it's the dodge charger. It is the RT model. Option include a driver's side A pillar spotlight and an all led emergency lights package with a light bar. Sometimes the lights are too bright. When I'm trying to get in my own vehicle the side pillar lights blind me. It also comes with a Panasonic toughbook (cf-31) and two radios. One digital and one uhf. I also have a two gun rack with a shotgun and an ar-15. I have a metal and plexiglas divider between the front and rear. There are a few other interesting modifications. The overhead light has been modified including the switch. It is not tied to the door anymore.flip the switch one way, and you have regular white light. Flip it the other way, and you have a dimmer red light to protect your night vision.
    my previous car was a crown Victoria. This charger is at a whole other level compared to the crown vic.

• Like Like x 1
  8. genuinemommy

Making a 9 hour road trip with 3 people and a bunny in a VW Beetle isn't advisable. It has made us evaluate our vehicular options with renewed vigor.

Hubby and I checked out the Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, and a ton of various crossover vehicles at Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Ford, Kia, Mitsubishi, and Volkswagen over the past two weekends.

So far, my favorite is the Toyota Sienna. The amount of difference in interior space between a mini van and a large crossover is striking, and the mini vans tend to get better mileage even though they have more room!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. snowy

I've driven both the Sienna and the Odyssey when hauling kiddos around. While a minivan is not for me, I think either are excellent choices, and you really can't go wrong with the Sienna.

• Like Like x 1
  10. omega

omega Very Tilted

I sold acuras for a couple years, so I'm partial to hondas and how they drive. That being said, my ex and I had gotten a Kia Sedona ex and really liked it. Good ride, plenty of power. Comfortable seats, power tailgate, dual power doors, etc. One of the few minivans I could get in black as well. And a lot less expensive than honda or Toyota. But the handling did not feel like a pig like a caravan or town and country would.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I love the Toureg from VW. It's sure I'm spelling it wrong... But they're coming out with a TDI version, so if I ever feel the need to go bigger, that's what I'm getting. But, the hubs got a 4Runner, so it's not likely. That thing is rad.

12. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Jadzia would only drive Volkswagons.
    She made jokes about a Jew driving German cars but she thought they were the best.
    We had a Toureg Wolfsburg edition.
    Great car.

• Like Like x 1
  13. genuinemommy

We saw the Touareg. We liked it well enough. But it was out of our price range. We could afford the Tiguan but the VW geek at our dealership said the TDI edition of that vehicle doesn't presently exist and likely won't be coming to Ohio before 2016.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  14. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

My dream car would be a turbo'ed 2012 Mazda RX8 with a 3-Rotor engine, or possibly a very decked out Subaru WRX STI hatchback (I tend to value utility along with sportiness/speed).
    3-Rotor Turbo RX8 Pushing 720 horsepower:
    SSPX0070.jpg
    rx8big.jpg
    I'm not gonna post pics of decked out Subaru WRX STI's because there are like, millions on the internet and we all know what they look like since they're so commonplace.
    Instead, my second-most coveted car would be a somewhat more "domesticated" (not in terms of horsepower, just in terms of things like keeping the air conditioning, inner door panels, passenger seats, etc. - meaning making it an acceptable daily driver instead of a stripped-down track-car) clone of Ken Block's 650HP all-wheel-drive Ford Fiesta ST:
    Traxxas-Ken-Block-Fiesta-4WD-RTR-RC-1.jpg
    7309-3qtrRearLow_med.jpg
    I would keep the green wheels, but give it a less insane paint job. Probably just black with some of the Monster Energy logos to keep the black-and-green theme.

15. genuinemommy

We just purchased my new-to-me family car! It is a 2008 Passat (B6) Wagon. Sadly we could not find a TDI, but I'm still in love.
    Black leather interior and dark blue exterior. I'm sure I'll share some photos of my car, but for now here are some stock images:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is shockingly more fun to drive than my old MINI cooper.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but after the numerous issues we had with our 2001 Jetta 1.8T, and especially VW America's very intentional assdragging on issuing recalls, no VWs for me. Yes I know that judging VW based on owning just one model isn't fair, but VW America totally sucks when it comes to knowing about a problem, issuing a service bulletin, and then taking forever to announce the recall.

17. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Majority of the VW issues come from the plant in Mexico. The ones manufactured in Germany tend to not have the same problems. I have had awesome, and tooootally shitty experiences with dealers in the US. Beaumont is pretty awesome if you need dealer stuff. So is the one in LC, but who wants to go there? Ha ha.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Congrats. My wife has solely driven VWs since 2000. She is currently in a Passat as well (though not a station wagon). Her Jetta lasted 168k miles with no major mechanical repairs needed before we sold it.

Enjoy. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Still not driving.

I miss my Vespa, though. This is a close approximation -- 1971 Vespa Sprint Veloce
    url.jpg
    I was also very sad when we sold our Jeep Cherokee. This is what it looked like:
    [​IMG]

These days, you are more likely to see me on one of these two bikes:

[​IMG]
    IMG_0089.jpg
    --- merged: Feb 10, 2015 at 4:10 AM ---
    Ha! I just realized I kind of posted this earlier in the thread.

At least I am consistent in my taste.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  20. omega

omega Very Tilted

Working on polishing my girlfriend's 2012 scion while she is laid up post total knee replacement. You can see in one of the pics the horrid amount of scratches in the paint from years or using the car wash brushes. You may also see deep water marks. In the second pic, most of that has been polished out. It took eventually going up to my firmest polishing pad on my porter cable and my harshest polish. Harsh enough that I had to go to a softer pad and lighter polish to remove some haze. The last shot is the obligatory reflection shot. That is only the hood though; I still have the rest of the car to do. The sides and back will be easier because they don't have as much damage and don't catch the eye like the hood does.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3