1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest!
The donation button is here.
https://goo.gl/aFggcs
Dismiss Notice
Guest, some new updates and fixes were done. Please let staff know if anything is funky or wonky!!!

TFP Top Gear

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by genuinemommy, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & don't criticize.

Un-doing years of neglect and/or abuse of a vehicle' paint is a PITA. Years ago I knew a woman who would have her car professionally (by people who really and seriously knew what they were doing) waxed (top quality wax) at least twice a year; at the time I thought she was nuts for dropping that kind of $$ to have her car waxed.

2. omega

omega Very Tilted

I believe I'm finished. The hood and part of the car was done with a firm pad and an aggressive polish. The rest was done with a medium pad and poorboys 2.5 polish, a medium cut polish. I used Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant to protect the paint. My products are old from when I used to detail semiprofessionally back in Washington D.C. (weekends) so my polish and sealant are 13-15 years old. Fortunately they don't go bad if they don't evaporate. The foam pads for my buffer did start breaking down due to age, but they finished the car. When I was a younger man I could do a complete detail on a sedan, including shampooing the carpets in about 6 hours. I took my time on this and didn't beat myself up too much. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Stunning

4. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Very very nice

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. omega

omega Very Tilted

My 1998 Acura Integra was stolen out of my driveway sometime overnight. This is the one that had been backed over several months ago. I had finally gotten a settlement from her insurance company in regards to the damage. My fear is that my insurance company will use that to lower what they will pay me for the car because I still had not had the damage repaired. Damn thieves. Last week my neighbor and his roommate both had their truck bed boxes broken into and had tools stolen.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Sorry to hear that.

They shouldn't lower the price of your car any less than a car that has been damaged similarly and has similar mileage and options.

7. omega

omega Very Tilted

Thanks. And we'll see. Otoh, it could end up being recovered. After some homeless people have a soup-kitchen in it.

8. omega

omega Very Tilted

Yesterday I took my RX8 to High Plains Raceway for the SCCA Track Night In America. This is an event designed to get people out on the track in a reasonably safe high speed environment. It's a "run what you brung" event and people self sort into novices intermediate, and advanced. I chose novice simply because of the unfamiliarity with the event and also the course stewards and flagging rules. Cars were varied. Several Subaru BRZs, a few Mustangs, a couple Porsches and BMWs. The groups each had 3 20 minute sessions to run. The track had 3 passing zones on straightaways, and that was the only place you were allowed to pass. You also had to receive a point by from the driver in front to pass. Surprisingly everyone seemed to be cooperative and acted fairly safe. I am not an unskilled driver. However, it is not really possible to drive in anger and push your car to the limits without being a dangerous asshole. So even though I have a pretty good grasp of vehicle dynamics, I do not have as much practice as I would like. Plus, I had never been on that track. So needless to say, I improved each time I went out. At the end of the long straight I was getting to 102 mph and the short straight I was hitting 87. I do not have any lap times because of no timing equipment, but I would mentally keep track of corner and exit speeds. My car is a thirsty car. I topped off my tank before going. I was empty after 160 miles. 87 miles on the highway, 73 miles on the track. I averaged 11 mpg on that entire tank. I will be heading out next spring when things start back up again.

• Lovely Lovely x 1
  9. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

For reference, here's what a Mazda RX8 looks like.
    [​IMG]

10. omega

omega Very Tilted

I have posted several pics of my car on the tfp, though maybe not in this thread. Here are a couple I took a few weeks ago on a cloudy day.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  11. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & don't criticize.

I've been to a few SCCA monthly GTGs as an observer where they ran a slalom course. It was cool to see the variety of cars and skill levels.

12. omega

omega Very Tilted

Was watching the race on tv when I had to rewind it to hear it a couple times. Laughed my ass off. Make sure you listen with sound.

• Like Like x 1