1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

TFP Toronto Movie night meetup?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by fresnelly, Aug 9, 2011.

1. fresnelly

fresnelly Getting Tilted

Anyone want to get together and see a movie? Maybe go for drinks and discussion afterwards?

Apparently you can see movies in large public rooms with large screens called theatres now.

Here are some on now that I'd like to see:

The Tree of Life
    Another Earth
    The Trip
    Captain America
    Harry Potter
    Documentary about A Tribe Called Quest
    Page One: Inside the New York Times

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I wouldn't mind seeing a serious movie that would lead to serious discussions afterwards over a pint or three.

I mean, we could see Potter or Captain America, but I can't keep up with the lore on those things.

I also don't know anything about the other movies in the list. Do you want to sell us on them, fres?

Great idea, btw.

3. fresnelly

fresnelly Getting Tilted

Yeah, I threw those in for balance but I really want to see the 'serious' ones.

Tree Of Life is a Terence Malik film and could be really pretentious but I like the epic feel of the trailer. It's human drama agains the backdrop of time and the end of the world.

Another Earth is another personal drama with sci-fi trappings. What happens when an alternate version of the Earth (complete with alternate versions of you and your loved ones) appears in orbit one day. Again, this is a philisophical drama rather than a conventional sci-fi thriller or some cheesy mirror universe adventure.

The Trip is British comedians Steve Coogan and Rob Bryden travelling, eating and talking together across Northern England. I heard a great clip of them and their dueling Michael Cain impressions. If you like talky British Comedy (and I do) this is the one to see.

Tribe Called Quest documentary I'm not a connoisseur but I've always liked their music and style.

Page One (A Year at the New York Times Behind the veil of one of the most influential papers in the US. Their articles are often linked in political discussions online and how it all comes together and the state of media today really intersests me.

Here are the trailers:

4. Baraka_Guru

Okay, so I want to take the time to watch the trailers when I get a chance, but at first glance at the summaries:

• Not sure what to make of Tree of Life yet.

• I've heard of Another Earth and the concept is cool. I wonder if it was executed well though. Any word?

• I love talky British comedy.

• I never really got into A Tribe Called Quest. I can't even name one of their songs, and probably wouldn't be able to identify it was them if I heard them.

• I'm not that interested in newspapers and how they are run, but this might be interesting from a political and more broadly media perspective. I could be sold on this with a few more details.

5. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I could probably be talked into this, assuming the timing works.

Of the options provided, I think the Trip appeals most to me. I could be talked into seeing Another Earth or Tree of Life, but neither is my first choice. I have no particular interest in either the New York Times or A Tribe Called Quest.

6. arkana

arkana Very Tilted

So far I'm reading a lot of complaining, YO. I think figuring out when to go is a more pressing issue than figuring out what to see.

Next week (moving a lot this week), Monday (the 22nd), Wednesday, Thursday and Friday would be great.

7. Baraka_Guru

Who's complaining, Mr. Took-Five-Days-to-Respond?

8. fresnelly

fresnelly Getting Tilted

Yeah I was starting to feel like when jenny in 4th grade invited all her friends to a sleepover only to be cut out of the No Jenny club.

Personally I'd most like to see Tree Of Life. Any day next week is fine at the moment.

9. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I don't know what my on call schedule for next week looks like yet, so it's definitely maybe. It'll have to be during the week some time though, since I'm otherwise engaged on the weekend.

10. Baraka_Guru

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but it has just come to my attention that Ron Fricke is screening his "sequel" to Baraka at the Toronto International Film Festival (tickets for the festival go on sale on Sept. 3). The film is called Samsara, and I don't know much about it other than it's Fricke's next release (it has the same producer as well) and what I've gleaned below.

I'm not sure if anyone has seen the film that is my namesake, but it's loaded with goodness. The technical aspects of the film are worth it alone, and I imagine that Fricke has worked to raise the bar with this new film.

All I know about this new film is found here:
    http://www.spiritofbaraka.com/samsara
    http://www.spiritofbaraka.com/samsara-official-press-releases

I couldn't find any trailer or other film footage (though many exist on YouTube for Baraka). However this press release quoted below (one of the ones linked above) will let you know about the content/theme and the technical aspects.

Let me know what you guys think. I'll tell you what I think: I'm a experiencing a whole world of giddy. Baraka is by far my favourite film of all time, and now we are about to get more from the same filmmaker.

11. cellophanedeity

cellophanedeity New Member

Samsara sounds wonderful. I'm in as long as I'm not working/at school. I know for certain that I'm busy until 9:00 on Tuesdays and 8:15 on Thursdays, but other than that I can probably work around it.

When are we going?

12. Baraka_Guru

Okay, I found the profile page for Samsara at TIFF here: http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2011/samsara

The screening times are as follows:

Sunday, September 11
    TIFF Bell Lightbox 2
    3:15pm

Tuesday, September 13
    TIFF Bell Lightbox 2
    1:15pm

Sunday, September 18
    TIFF Bell Lightbox 2
    9:00pm

I should be good for either of the Sundays. The Tuesday is harder because it's during the day.

As mentioned, tix go on sale on the 3rd (that's this Saturday). Pricing is here: http://tiff.net/thefestival/ticketsandpackages

It looks like single screenings are $19.69.

13. cellophanedeity

Sunday may be okay for me, but I'm not sure what my work schedule will be. I'll let you know as soon as I do.

14. Baraka_Guru

Actually, I'm now shying away from the TIFF thing. From the people I've spoken to, they say it can get "crazy." This means it might be better to go with a general release film from the OP instead.

It will be better for availability, plus it will be cheaper.

So that leaves us with choosing the film still.

My votes are for Tree of Life, Another Earth, or The Trip.

That is, unless you guys were really gung-ho about Samsara and TIFF (I was just going to wait for a general release or the Blu-ray.)

But, alas, I haven't heard much from you guys.

15. arkana

arkana Very Tilted

Okay sorry. Here I am. I've heard good things about The Trip, so that's my vote.

Having worked at TIFF before, I concur that yes it's crazy, and I should have spoken up before, but it's silly to pay more for it just to see it earlier, although in this case $20 wasn't that much more.

16. Baraka_Guru

I'll second The Trip as a single vote. (And, I hope, for expediency.)

17. cellophanedeity

As always, up for anything as long as the schedule allows it. Let me know.

18. Baraka_Guru

Well, if we don't hear back from fresnelly or Martian soon, should we just start planning something? You know, to avoid the whole "at least we have good intentions" thing?

19. arkana

arkana Very Tilted

Yes. We are going to see a film Sunday. Either Cellophane, Baraka and I... or just Baraka and I... or just me... or just my shoes. When and where is The Trip playing?

20. Baraka_Guru

It's playing on your FACE!

I dunno. Let's look it up. What area is best for everyone?