1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics The 2016 US Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by ASU2003, Mar 23, 2015.

1. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Democratic National Convention live-blog: Updates from Philadelphia.
    DNC Live-Blog: Sanders Delegates Chant "Lock Her Up" on Convention Floor

The first part of the day didn't go quite as planned for Hillary. But, having Sen. Booker, Michelle Obama, Sen. Warren, and Bernie speak back-to-back turned the page and healed some of the division.

I still wish Bernie would have said "We didn't win this time, but it doesn't mean you have to like it. Even after the election, we need to work together on pushing a progressive agenda through congress and state houses. We need to create unity between the various causes and groups that make up the Democratic Party".

The only thing I was disappointed in Michelle's speech was there was no jokes about already testing parts out last week. Or say how did anybody find the 2008 speech and looked closely enough to determine there was some copies.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  2. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

This was something that I enjoyed reading.
    Thank You, Donald Trump | john pavlovitz
    a few snippets:

3. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

While the floor vote took place and the party nominated her, technically she hasn't accepted the nomination until tomorrow night.

But, I think this is one of those things where there was no ill intent, however feminists made it an issue. She will be on the front page Friday morning.

5. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

6. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I can barely read the peach? colored type.

--- merged: Jul 30, 2016 at 7:23 PM ---
    Copies & pasted from post #582:

Over and over as your campaign has persisted, your supporters would tell me that they like you because you “speak your mind”. It wasn’t until recently that I’ve realized that you speak their minds. You’ve given credence to their prejudices and made those prejudices go mainstream.

But whether you win or lose, you’ve already allowed me the blessing of Truth; about me, about you, about other candidates, about our nation.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Ok, it looks like the wildfire has started becoming a firestorm...and growing.
    And Trump seems to be on the wrong side of the fireline at the moment...Hillary looks like she's taken shelter out of the way, because it's not her that's flaming them (or at least apparently)

Oh...and for some fun, The Simpson take on things... :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

From a political aspect, the DNC convention was executed with perfection. The only thing that I thought they should have caught was not having the mother of the fallen soldier speak. I was watching it and was thinking that the feminist, pro woman side would have a problem, and the Islam is oppressing women people on the left would also be upset. I knew that the right wing "Muslim immigrants will come into this country and not adopt Western culture" people were going to make a big deal about it too.

Ghazala Khan: Trump criticized my silence. He knows nothing about true sacrifice. - The Washington Post

I'm not sure how accurate this poll is, but it is on Forbes. I saw another graph yesterday, but I can't find it that was similar, but for all people at different income brackets and how likely they were to vote for Clinton or Trump.

[​IMG]

If there is one thing that the Democrats messed up in the past 30 years, it was countering the rise of the Fox News watching, poor white voter. Trade deals might have got them some other things in negotiations, and helped to make the world safer by trading plus interacting economically with other countries. But when you enable large companies to move factories out of the country, and let the best foreign students in to go to college and let them compete for entry level jobs, or let other immigrants work at the local farms, meatpacking, call center, hotel maids, construction, or landscaping jobs...Trump's message makes sense. And the other problem is that poor white people sometimes are poor for a reason. There are major drug problems (and that includes cigarettes, alcohol, and caffeine), child development issues, and resentment of other groups that are getting in the way.

Why ‘white trash’ Americans are flocking to Donald Trump | New York Post

9. Lindy

Well, at least you won't be called a racist for this statement. If you replace "white" in your statement with any of the "of color" subsets you would be pilloried. We all know that people of color do not cause any of their own problems. Their problems are exclusively caused by white privilege and white racism.

10. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

The poor folks that aren't white aren't voting against their economic interests though. Now, if moderate neoliberal Democrats like Clinton will help or hurt them is a different question. But, we know that the Tea Party wants to gut a lot of the social programs that help the poor.

11. wye

wye Getting Tilted

I can tell you why this kind of talk about white folks generally isn't considered racist while the same kind of talk about black folks is. Because black folks have disproportionately less power and privilege than white folks, criticism that singles out black folks has the potential to unfairly make this gap even wider. I think ASU2003 understands that alcohol and drug abuse contributes to poverty across ethnicities but has singled out whites in the context of that statement because he was discussing factors related to the disproportionately white support for Donald Trump.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Also, being white has no influence on white people being poor.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rogue49

This is a new twist...the idea that Trump might be sabotaging his own campaign...or that he will withdraw.
    (and this is being taken seriously...)

Trump wants Hillary to win: Why else sabotage his campaign?
    Senior GOP Officials Exploring Options if Trump Drops Out - Yahoo

This is something I really didn't consider...was there a potential? Yes, there always is...it's a hard lift to do a US presidential campaign. And scandals occur.
    But him being the megalomaniac that he is...that he would even do it, that's another.

Question is, if he quits, or undermines himself purposely, or they figure out how to kick him out...
    Can they replace him in time??
    Would it impact Hillary, who isn't the most loved. (but is looking fairly presidential by comparison to him and others)
    And would it also impact the GOP's ability and power?? (both for the campaign, other campaigns and after the fact...)

As Alice in Wonderland said,
    "curiouser and curiouser" :confused:

14. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I don't know what the RNC's rules are. Would they hold another convention of sorts? Would Ted Cruz get the nomination because he came in second? Would he also pick Pence as VP?

I also doubt they would be successful, since you would have a lot of Trump voters who would be upset. Which is the bigger problem, that you have so many people in America who think the same things about minorities that Trump is talking about.

15. redux

redux Very Tilted

The fact that the RNC is even privately discussing a "what if" is shocking but naming another nominee would not be a problem. It just requires a vote of RNC members.

The issue would be ballot access. States have their own respective dates/deadlines for names to be officially listed on the ballot.

16. rogue49

Ooo...bad week for Trump gets even worse, now their even questioning Melania's immigration status from her model shoots way back when.
    Which puts him in a bind due to his stance. (forget about the nudity, which is just humiliating and slut-shaming)
    Link

17. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Let's just say that Trump supporters have no problem with attractive European women immigrating into this country, no questions asked. Even I don't have a problem with it.

I would leave her out of it, there is enough other stuff to take issue without going after the spouses or kids.

18. Lindy

Sounds like a half-vast left wing conspiracy to me.;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. rogue49

A Clinton Landslide???

GOP nightmare...not the win, but that it may affect all the other races. The Dems are smelling hints of blood...perhaps even the House.
    Unlikely, but anything is possible.

And strangely these days the natural disasters and crisises near the campaign ends seem to benefit the Dem candidate.
    Remember the Econ crisis reaction, the hurricane response??
    Although, it can help the GOP, as it did with Reagan...but it depends on how the candidate reacts and acts. (the leadership test)

20. redux

redux Very Tilted