1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics The 2016 US Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by ASU2003, Mar 23, 2015.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Well, 538 likes to speculate statistically. as I posted...but I prefer it's "real-time" aggregate of polls, tends to be smack dab center
    270 and RealTimePolitics is nice for alternative perspectives (just to make sure)
    - LINK

2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I'm very much liking the Clinton ad showing the clip from Late Show With David Letterman where Trump shrugs off the fact that some (all??) of his clothing products are made in Bangladesh and China.

--- merged: Aug 15, 2016 11:52 AM ---
    I don't know if it's just my computer, but I'm having problems with embedded YouTube vids, the above one and several posted by others.

Link:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8qUhXzr43o

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2016
  3. wye

wye Getting Tilted

Both your attempts are displaying properly embedded videos for me.

The Letterman zing against the Trump clothing line wasn't unprovoked. Earlier in the interview, Letterman asked him about his relationship with Mitt Romney, and Trump took the opportunity to rail against China for "ripping our heart out" because "we just do nothing to protect ourselves" (because Romney apparently holds a similar view).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ACCHxF4Afc&t=4s

I think it's fair to say that most of his branded merchandise is not manufactured in the US: At DNC, Hillary Clinton slams Donald Trump for making products overseas | PolitiFact

• Like Like x 1
  4. wye

wye Getting Tilted

• Like Like x 2
  5. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

While that ad is a decent negative ad against Trump, they are overplaying it. Put it in a rotation of 10 or 20 different ads talking about different subjects. I've only seen her Plan one and the Letterman one.

There is way too much international diplomacy going on at the Olympics. It is hard to bomb people who you just met at the Olympics.

6. rogue49

Current Trend -
    Trump is doubling down on "I just gotta be me"
    Hillary is STFU quiet

or is this just media attention patterns?

7. wye

wye Getting Tilted

After seeing clips of the Steve Bannon and Nigel Farage parts of this speech, I sought out the full video and unintentionally watched the whole 33 minutes. A few days ago in Reno NV, Clinton forwent a stump speech dedicated to promoting her policies only and instead delivered a powerful attack that struck at the heart of her Republican opponent's promotion of racial stereotypes, his retweeting of Neo-Nazi propaganda, and the invocation of his name for the bullying of minority students in American schools, the so-called Trump effect. Observe:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP6Q-OEXm4k

• Like Like x 2
  8. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

• Like Like x 1
  9. wye

wye Getting Tilted

I'd like to see a supercut of all the times Donald and his surrogates have reused poignant attacks against him to nonsensically attack his opponents. As one comment on that article notes, it's a juvenile "I know you are, but what am I?" mentality.

• Like Like x 1
  10. wye

wye Getting Tilted

At the end of his immigration speech last night, the Republican presidential nominee brought to the stage ten close relatives of people killed in incidents involving undocumented immigrants and invited them to share the stories of these deaths.

I found this to be an extremely upsetting example of a majority group scapegoating a minority one, being that there's a strong consensus among American criminologists that homicide—as well as overall crime—rates are lower among immigrants, both legal and illegal, than among native-born Americans.

Imagine if the campaign had brought to the stage ten people who had relatives killed in incidents involving another minority class of people whose identity is not a cause of homicide.

Imagine if the Republican bid for the presidency presented the stories of ten people who had relatives killed by African-Americans or by American Jews or by trans women or by deaf men. Then would it be obvious that this manner of testimony presents dangerously misleading anecdotal evidence and not empirical fact?

Blinded by fear and hatred, the modern American nativists of this election are targeting already marginalized groups, imagining them to be responsible for major societal problems (as nativists always have: in previous centuries they have targeted Chinese, Irish, Italian, and German immigrants).

Meanwhile, they have ideologically rejected highly effective methods recommended by criminologists for preventing violent crime: gun control policies, increasing the funding of public education, providing universal healthcare including mental health services, and advancing other social welfare programs.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  11. rogue49

Actually, if Hillary was smart...she'd take the question off herself.
    Perhaps not push her name.

Start pushing for the party, the Democrats.
    Not pro-Dem per se...but anti-GOP...against the party in control of Congress.
    Show the screw ups and incompetency of the Republicans.
    Although far from perfect...The Dems seem civil and sane by comparison these days.

If it's a throw the bums out, then campaign against the GOP. (NOT Hillary vs. Trump)
    You'll gun up the base, drive down the opposition, get your name out of the media...and turn around who she'll need in the House & Senate to fill her agenda and get things moving.

She knows she's not liked by many, not charismatic, get rid of the drip, drip, drip
    Give the media and people something else to chew on. A decoy with a bonus.
    Throw them a GOP hide.

Not that I'm pro Dem...but just from a strategy standpoint.
    And to get something DONE finally...not this constant stonewalling. Geez. :rolleyes:

12. wye

wye Getting Tilted

I was just reading about the history of religious freedom in the United States and I came across an arcane curiosity which suggests to me that, while a ban on all Muslims from entering the US might be unconstitutional, restricting immigration from even just certain nations on the basis of having a Muslim majority might be a casual violation of the 1797 Treaty of Tripoli, which states:

It wouldn't of course be a formal violation, because the Muslim nation with whom the US made this treaty, Ottoman Tripolitania, has been long since dissolved.

• Like Like x 2
  13. rogue49

Fascinating...
    A newspaper that hasn't recommended a Democrat since WWII...
    Is saying vote FOR Hillary, NOT Trump.
    Link

I think Hell is freezing over.
    I need a coat.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rogue49

OK, this is getting even more surreal. :confused:
    Trump...praises Putin
    Has top advisors with Soviet/Ukraine/Russian connections
    Now disses US foreign policy and American media on a Russian state owned station??? - LINK

Now, I'm not ultra paranoid...nor am a Cold warrior, nor really against Russia except for the whole Ukraine thing...and Putin's a dick.
    But one, this IS getting weird.
    Two, IF this had been on the other side, the GOP would be going NUTS. (a bit of a double standard...add that to the stack)

But again, totally unprecedented .
    two strange and outlandish
    3, will be ignored mostly
    4 - email, email, email

I can't wait for the next weird thing. (where's the popcorn??)
    But even after ALL this and ANY future thing and we vote in November...we'll hear emails and she's just not likable or trustworthy.

Right now, aliens could come down, release Hitler's clone (godwin), say Trump's his lovechild, Trump buttfucks him on live TV while wearing a KKK hood and screaming out loud he did the same to his daughter Ivanka
    and they'd turn around and ask Hillary about the EMAILS and he'd gain in the polls. :rolleyes:

'merica
    Take a bow.
    Quit your bitchin' how other nations are...
    Just whacked

• Like Like x 3
  15. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I posted this thought in one of the political threads here, maybe this one:

Many actions taken by the Obama administration which were and are heavily criticized by the GOP, would've been praised by the GOP if they were taken by a Republican administration. And of course the mistakes would've been downplayed.

To be fair, I'm certain the Democrats would've done the same thing if the situation were reversed.

I'm sick of the Us (We're always right!) verses Them (They're always wrong!) partisan politics. It's to be expected, to a certain degree, but it has gotten way out of hand. What's wrong with "That's a good idea/not a bad idea, we can work something out."?

16. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

And now everyone in the media is covering Hillary's health since the deplorable right wingers went after her coughing and such, so the media had to cover it.

When will they get to talking about:
    -wars and military spending
    -poverty
    -population size
    -air and water pollution
    -education (should we strive for equality, or are we OK with letting poor and minority students not get the same level of education?)
    -
taxes and benefits
    -welfare
    -healthcare plan
    -immigration
    -jobs and automation
    -national debt, the value of the dollar, the price of rent/houses, and wages
    -rape in the military, high school, and on college campuses
    -fiscal policy and what the big banks/federal reserve is doing
    -health of the citizens
    -rebuilding small towns and inner cities
    -distractions by sports and pets
    -legalizing marijuana and treating the out of control drug addictions
    -guns and security
    -wild animal populations
    -international trade and relations

But we talk non-stop about Hillary should have taken a sick day or two, a few confidential e-mails that nobody would know about if it wasn’t for the media, and Trump’s wife buying a painting

• Like Like x 2
  17. rogue49

If Trump wins the election, you can squarely blame the media for it's focus.

Death by a 1000 cuts for Hillary.
    Easy going by comparison for Trump.

But just THINK how many newspapers and ads they can sell!! :rolleyes:

Quite frankly, I don't know how I'd handle it. Seriously.
    Makes my stomach queasy just considering it.
    Sure, I could just not look at the news for at least 4 years...but you can't outrun the impact. (much less any cleanup afterwards...)

I can only hope that the US stays rational.

18. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

a Trump presidency would probably be the last straw for me living in this country. I'd start immediately looking for work in Europe

19. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I talked to a co-worker that just came back from Europe on Wednesday, and even though she is more conservative, I believe her when she says all is not well in Europe right now.

• Like Like x 1
  20. rogue49