1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics The 2020 US Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by ASU2003, Dec 31, 2018.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

I have a question.... may be a dumb question but its something i thought about the other day

Trump has covid, lets just say that he dies (god forbid), i dont want anyone to die. with tha being said that would make Pence the president.
    election day is next month. Does that mean that Pence is automatically the Republican nomination for the president?
    is so, then ok
    if not what the fuck happens?

just something that i thought about the other day.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I would think the process would be more defined. If Pense does become President, will Pelosi become VP at that point, or does Pense pick someone that will become the new 2nd in line?

This is what happened when a candidate died in Nevada right before the election, but I would think the President would be different. However, I think the timeline needs to be kept to.

Dennis Hof Wins Election For Nevada State Assembly Seat Weeks After Death

4. ralphie250

from what i can understand..

after JKF died Lyndon Johnson became president due to he was VP, but i can not find anywhere who Johnsons VP was for the remainder of that term. I know that he was elected in 1964 and his VP was Hubert Humphrey

5. rogue49

No, he’s not automatically the next candidate
    The Republican National Convention...aka The Republicans/GOP would have to vote and choose Pence as their new candidate.

Also Pelosi would not become the VP, the succession list it only to take over prez.
    Pence would have to pick another VP for the vote.
    He’d without a VP until the inauguration.

That’s a twist, because I don’t think many GOP like him...so it would be a big question
    And they’d have to do it a very short time
    Less than 30 days

And figure out how to get people to vote for him
    It would hamstring the GOPs chances
    For the party altogether even.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. ralphie250

That makes since. i dont want trump to die, dont want anyone to die but for some reason that sceneraio crossed my mind the other day and had no clue

7. rogue49

You're not the only one, there's a whole article on it.
    Everyone is playing all different types of scenarios now.
    It's unprecedented. (no pun intended)

I just don't want people or media to get into tabloid or conspiracy.
    Let's stick to the facts, rules and laws. (like speculation of succession, who is prez next...that's locked down...that's why it goes down a list that's quite lengthy)
    Even if Pelosi got it and wasn't able to do it...there's many others to take over. (until January)
    BTW, she's the only Democrat on the whole list. (which still freaks out some paranoids)
    FYI - one of the list can NOT become president, because she wan't born a US citizen. (McConnell's wife Elaine Chao)

Even if Biden won, then got messed up...Harris would be in on Inauguration day.
    And the list would change then too. (Depending also on acting Secretaries until the Senate confirms Biden's list for his cabinet)
    Confirmation is VERY important, as Trump found out from the courts this year (any "acting" past 210 days is illegal until confirmed by the Senate, 90 more if they allow it)

United States presidential line of succession - Wikipedia

It's all matter of timing and confirmation.

FYI -how do I know this?? 10 years ago, I was Database Administrator of the app/DB that kept track of who and where the succession list people were. :)
    Office of Management & Budget of the dept of Executive Office of the President, takes this VERY seriously.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 3
  8. rogue49

Biden wins endorsements from nearly 200 U.S. law enforcement officials

Law & Order?
    It’s certainly NOT Mr. T

T would leverage police not for law or order
    He would use police and military to do what he WANTS...not by the law.
    And the act of doing to, would create chaos.

We’ve already seen demonstrations of it
    With the Bible photo op...or semi-kidnaps in Portland
    Or telling his AG to go after his opposition.
    A 2nd term would only increase it...it would be worse.

Biden at least supports the laws on the books.
    And promotes calm.

That’s law & order.
    Not authoritarianism for convenience.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. rogue49

Bipartisan Christian group forms super PAC to oppose Trump

That's not good news for Mr. T
    1. it's another gun pointed at him...with big bullets from the $$ they're talking about.
    2. A super PAC by the people who previously supposedly supported him isn't good.
    3. It's bipartisan...and can push other conservative Christians to vote against him.

The dogpile keeps growing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I heard a report that some west wing insiders have leaking to the Christian right Conman's insulting comments regarding the evangelicals. The Christian right has to know Conman has no religious morals; their relationship is purely political.

---------

Ratings for the two separate town hall meetings are interesting, more people were interested in what Biden had to say:
    Biden 13.9M, Conman Trump 13.1M.

I'm guessing that bothers shortsighted Conman more than the numbers from the polls.

------------

Conman's campaign rallies all look the same, he speaks to only his supporters, makes no efforts to win new converts. He clearly feeds on the admiration, but repeadly preaching to basically the choir doesn't accomplish much.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  11. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

[​IMG]

Georgia sounded like a class act. Let's not disappoint her. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. rogue49

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. rogue49

Republican Pollster: Trump's Is The 'The Worst Campaign I've Ever Seen'

Interesting perspective from a long-time GOP pundit and pollster.
    What's being done wrong by T's campaign.

See the thing is...bad things always implode on themselves.
    There's a reason people try to do it the right way.
    It's not because it easy...it's because it works over time.

T is going to end ravenous and raging.
    Only question is how long...and how much damage until then.

14. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

It looks like this ad is hard to find. A conservative complainer reposted it though.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Chris Noyb

Video viewing protected.

Edit: Oops, already noted. And yes, The Blind Pig is a good commercial.

-----------

Conman Trump's 2016 campaign was a total mess than didn't turn into a train wreck.

I have to agree, few people care about Hunter Biden. The good thing is Conman beating the questionable Hunter "news" to death and beyond shows what a compulsive asshole Conman is.

Mentioning Conman's obsessions, it's amazing that the border wall has been mostly forgotten.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  16. Chris Noyb

Conman Trump was much more controlled than he was in the first debate. But that was offset by several things.

1. When the bar is that low, getting over it isn't particularly impressive.
    2. More Hunter Biden. Yawn.
    3. More CYA in response to COVID-19.
    4. More broad generalizations instead of specific details.
    5. More numbers that are blatantly wrong, or at the very least favorably misinterpreted.
    6. The absolutely ridiculous comparison to Abraham Lincoln. Is he seriously that self delusional? narcistic?

Biden was aggressive on some issues, but he could've called Trump out on several issues.

1. The border wall, how many payments has Mexico made?
    2. The White House super spreader, and Trump's overall COVID-19 denial (this was mentioned, but not really stressed).
    3. Trumps seven (I think) bankruptcies, and numerous lawsuits.

Trump managed not to be an asshole, but didn't do anything impressive.

Biden basically held his ground.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. rogue49

Yes, he is that delusional and narcissistic
    Covid is just going away

I think Biden’s shtick now is just to seem like the sane candidate
    Calm, normal and for ALL people.

T forgets that he’s supposed to represent everyone
    Not just the GOP - there really isn’t Red and Blue.

Not that T really care about anyone but himself
    A true narcissist

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I think the threat of being muted actually set The Impeached 45 back a bit.
    He also must have actually listened to someone (maybe his daughter) that he lost some serious ground across the country by the way he acted in the last debate and needed to act more PRESIDENTIAL.
    I don't think he really accomplished that but it was fun to watch him try.
    Biden did the one thing that set him apart which was show some empathy and support for what everybody is going through right now.
    That is something The Impeached 45 is just not capable of.
    The moderator also seemed to have watched the last two debates and learned a thing or two.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. rogue49

The electoral map is very weird right now

Interesting...
    Play around with the slider for the map in the middle of the article.

Shows ya how much T would have to sku (or cheat) to move it into a win for him. (about 5% error)
    Not looking good for him right now. (but we know the GOP, Russian and Iran are working really hard to push him over) :rolleyes:

Still, it's fascinating to see what states are in play that you wouldn't expect. (Texas??)

It is WaPo, so you may or may not get thru the paywall (depends on their mood and how many freebees they're allowing
    Sorry, I wanted the slider to work, so no C/P with this one.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  20. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

It is the 3% hidden Trump vote in the rural and poor white areas that I would worry about the polls missing. 3% and Trump would have to cheat to get WI, MI, PA, FL, and AZ Republican legislatures to select Trump electors. At 6% he wouldn't need to do anything. It is still a lot closer than I thought it would be. Although we will see what the vote outcome will be when all the votes get counted. I just don't see any signs of people who supported him in 2016 switching in the real world yet.