1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics The 2020 US Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by ASU2003, Dec 31, 2018.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

No, lots of mail in have to be counted
    Lawyers will be thrown everywhere by both sides

Strap in, we may not know for a week

2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Weird mix of voters.

Cubans who tend to be anti-government, i.e. conservative.

Geezers who want their SS and Medicare protected,
    but also want their money protected from taxation.
    Yet expect the government to provide aid after hurricanes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chris Noyb

I'm sticking with Friday.

But things could turn ugly. In an extremely close race the loser could make legal challenges that drag this shit out forever.

For months Trump has been laying the groundwork for "fraud." Of course if he wins a by a razor thin margin all is good. But if he loses by the same margin it's voting fraud by the Democrats.

It seems that one of the major delays is mail-in ballots. Tallying those votes is tedious under the best circumstances, but I'm now wondering if the intentional cuts by the USPS have indeed affected voting.

The current news report show the Electoral College at
    224 Biden, 213 Trump.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

why do they not count mail in ballotts as they come in? why wait til the last day? That makes no since to me

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. rogue49

Agree fully
    Two reasons,

1. some politicians/parties in the past found it was to their disadvantage to counts beforehand, so they made law/policy about it.

2. Each state has rules when ballots can be accepted then they’ll start counting when that deadline passes...usually the Election Day.
    It differ for each state and who’s in power.

Politicians don’t set things to what’s fair and logical
    They do it for power and to gain advantage.
    Fair has nothing to do with it.

Unless, they have to compromise with opposition
    Or are forced into it by law or the courts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Chris Noyb

NBC showed the recount procedures for the remaining states. Under the right circumstances--unlikely, but it could happen--it could be Nov 29th before we have a final count.

Biden 227, Trump 213. The problem is all it would take is one big state for Trump to jump ahead.

It looks Biden might take enough small states for the win.

It looks like Trump could take a big state and a few small ones for the win.

Folks, start hoping that your candidate takes the respective close votes state by more than a 1% margin. That would save a lot of time.

I hope Biden reaches 270+ clearly, to make recounts moot. But we all know Trump will have a shit fit even if he no doubt loses.

7. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

With the current standing of called states Biden has 253 and The Impeached 45 has 214.
    NC and Georgia look pretty good as going to 45.
    Alaska sadly is garunteed for him.
    That puts him at 248.
    Pennsylvania is still very much up in the air.
    It looks like Nevada and Arizona are going to Uncle Joe.
    That puts him at exactly 270.
    If Pennsylvania goes to Joe he's well over.
    If it goes to The Impeached 45, Biden still wins but by only 1 point.

And people say it's not worth it to vote.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. rogue49

Initial signs point to surprisingly hack-free election, but risks remain

That's good to know for the most part.
    We'll only know through long-term study...but it's a good start.

The voting booth were more reliable than the polling.
    Sure there's going to be a study in that too.
    The Polls Underestimated Trump — Again. Nobody Agrees on Why.

538 may be in trouble...their whole shtick is being right about the numbers.
    Nate did come out and state that T could still win...BUT like the other sites, the showed a 90% chance for Biden (likely right BUT, that's now how it read)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  9. Chris Noyb

Yes, voting is important. Except I vote in Texas, and you vote in Alaska. My presidential vote was a waste (big margin), and so were my senate votes (very slim margins). At least at the state & local level a few democrats won.

I'm looking forward to the various analysis, after we have a certain winner.

10. ralphie250

if trump looses, the whole country will be watching him to see how he reacts.

this is just dragging out but it is 2020 who i should expect that.

I know here in GA they are saying that it may be suday before all the ballots are counted.
    I do know that they found a trash bag full of mail in ballotts in a dumpster behind one of the biggest polling places in fulton county (county city of atlanta is in for the most part) so who knows,.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ralphie250

why do some channels say biden has 264 and others have him with 263

• Like Like x 1
  12. ralphie250

Can someone explain Maine and Nebraska to me...

Seems like the states are split into different electoral votes. How in the hell does that work?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chris Noyb

Has that been confirmed??
    I would not be a bit surprised if Trump supporters* who work for USPS, or the group in charge of counting ballots, tried to throw away mail-in ballots coming from known Blue areas.

* Obviously Biden supporters could pull a similar stunt to favor Biden. But the thing is Trump supporters are the more visible and vocal, and "their president" encourages and condones questionable actions. Being painted with the same brush isn't fair, but you are judged by the company you keep.

14. Chris Noyb

That's a very good question. I'm going to do some checking.

Edit:
    I can't find the 263 count now, but I did see it yesterday.

Some sources are giving Biden Arizona, others aren't. If Biden wins AZ, and Nevada, that will put him at 270.

Trump wants to stop counting in states where he leads, recounts in states where he narrowly lost, and claims fraud in states where he trails. That sounds like desperation to me. Oh, since he appears to gaining in AZ of course the voting there is just fine.

We're going to need the state courts, and most likely the Supreme Court (even if by passive consent), to do the right thing.

Declared winner today or tomorrow?
    Official winner early December?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  15. rogue49

The states can opt to split their electoral areas
    Only Maine and Nebraska have done so.

The one Nebraska area that went to Biden is more urban and favors the Dems

I guess there is a more conservative side in Maine

Both states are small enough to only have 3 senators, so three electors minimum. So 3 votes split.

The rest of the states have said winner take all.
    But they can change this, if their Houses vote for it.

Frankly, I wish all the states did this, it would be more balanced and represent the population more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

My conspiracy theory is that they are deliberately slowing down the count. OK, they do have a valid excuse that they want to wait for all of the mail-in ballots and the provisional ballots to get fixed, however my theory is that if they slow down the outcome, that it won't be as upsetting and massive protests could be avoided when the results do come in... Although it is annoying to have to wait this long and maybe it won't even be today when we know the outcome.

17. rogue49

It may not be a conspiracy theory, but a true one.
    Here we go for a potential roller coaster ride. Barr and Trump, twisting the scenario and tradition.
    The Dems better be ready for a battle.
    And hopefully, the GOP get them to back down. (so far, they've been actually cooperating)

Armed Agents Are Allowed in Ballot-Counting Venues, Justice Dept. Tells Prosecutors

18. ralphie250

That makes since, but my next question is what determines the areas for each electoral vote?

19. ralphie250

you mean the house of representatives?

so hypothetically speaking if i wanted GA to be that way, we have 16 electoral votes. does that mean that GA would be split into 16 areas and each area get one vote?
    and i would have to go to the house and propose a change to making it that way?

20. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Yes, each state gets 1 vote per congressional district and 2 statewide senate votes. So GA would have 14 areas and then 2 state wide electoral college votes. I don't know what the election outcome would be if every state did it that way, but I would guess it would be close to the outcome of the house and senate added together.

My next conspiracy theory is that the media loves the attention of a dragged out count. They are pushing the counties to take some time off, and don't release the results at 4am...