1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest!
The donation button is here.
https://goo.gl/aFggcs

Politics The 2020 US Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by ASU2003, Dec 31, 2018.

1. redux

redux Very Tilted Donor

You aint seen nothing yet.

You will likely be bombarded with candidate ads/commercials for the next six weeks right up to the March 24 Democratic primary in Georgia.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted Donor

Well, I will just say that TV ads are not going to help you in the modern era of campaigning. At least not flooding the airwaves. Maybe if you have a really well done ad and it is used strategically, but the way Bloomberg is doing it is a waste of money. He is getting beat by the mayor of a religious Indiana town who happens to be gay. And maybe I spent too much time in the dark corners of the Internet, but I didn't think society moved that fast on gay acceptance in the past 10 years for him to win 1% in Iowa, let alone tie Bernie for 1st. The Democrats need to start learning how to campaigning in the 2020's, not the 1960's.

Pete does remind me of the 1992 Bill Clinton who was always able to come up with a good answer and explain a policy, including talking about religion, which is one of the big reasons the Democrats have been losing.

3. redux

redux Very Tilted Donor

While digitial ads are rising exponentially. campaigns generally still spend more on local broadcast tv and cable to reach most demographics.

See Political ad spend in the U.S. by media 2018 | Statista

The fact remains that tv ads , particularly negative ads, work well enough to justify the cost.

I do agree with you on Bloomberg flooding the airwaves in targeted states but he has a name recognition issue and that will likely help in those states.

The trend line will continue to shift to digital ads and the flooding will go from the TV screen to smart phone screens.

In the meantime, you can see candidate spending on TV ads for the 2020 election here along with viewing the ads themselves (searchable by candidate and state)

Tracking Every Presidential Candidate’s TV Ad Buys

4. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted Donor

Political scientists are going to love going through the campaign strategies of the Democrats in 2020 to figure out what worked. I personally think Buttiegeg's strategy (and Yang's) of accepting every interview request, forming a real person campaign in the field, and they do some stuff on-line. Although I don't think any of them outside Trump has a good on-line game (infiltrating forums, social media comments, social media organized events, posting for free in Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist, YouTube videos, Twitter, etc...)

5. pig

pig Slightly Tilted

I think we often feel like advertising "doesn't work," but the statistics and science indicate it does. Down here in Carolina I've heard several people that don't like either Buttigieg or Sanders throw out Bloomberg's name. If we have to fight old white billionaire with old white billionaire, at least give me a battle-tested progressive. I'd be pissed if I were Steyer after all he's done to shape impeachment and these primaries, but it is what it is.

I don't consider myself a Democrat, but I will definitely vote with them. I wish their was a way for my vote to actually matter, but I'll cast it regardless.