1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics The 4th Estate - Media....is it truth or fiction? TFP pundits will examine.

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Nov 5, 2012.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I've been a member of WP for quite a while.
    It used to be the same quality as NYT, about the investigation and news.
    But it's changed, becoming more tabloidesque...with leading stories for controversy.
    The only reason I stayed with it, was that it had local news, since I'm in the DC region.

But I've been thinking of stopping it's membership for a while now, this may tip the scales.
    I have better places to find good news...legit, non-skewed and not about the controversy, just the facts and details.

One thing I can tell, after all this time and reading many things...is if a piece leans one way or another. Or is filled with drama, not focused on the truth.
    And if I'm going to pay for anything, it better be neutral and detailed.

Unfortunately, many news vendors have gone the way of letting others lead them by the nose...not digging until they hit the real facts.
    It's about filling the news cycle and selling ads.

I'm a real facts and details type of guy. Can't have it any other way.
    I need to know which way is up. So I can breathe, not drown.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. rogue49

I'm wondering if WaPo and others will go that way, slowly...since they're owned by mega-rich themselves.

Y'know...I feel that I'm Independent, moderate with a mixture of both liberal and conservative values.
    but the whole dynamic has been so skewed in the past some years, it's making me spout off more liberal responses...
    just because of the imbalance and abuses that I've been seeing here in the US.

I like the idea of capitalism and letting a business do what they want
    but here we have media entities that have influence over millions
    and put out information that supports corruption or one way of thinking
    or represses information and people that opposes it

Maybe that's a foolish ideal I've always had...expecting news to put out the facts
    and be neutral in it's opinion and output.

I guess the only thing one can do is shout in the wind
    and only sponsor those that fit that idea.

I'd like to go back to the day where I could just be "middle of the road".
    Feel like I'm tacking against the wind here.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chris Noyb

I remember when many of the network news anchors were old school journalists who earned their stripes on the ground as reporters.

That might not mean much in some cases. Jeraldo Rivera a/k/a Jerry Rivers was an embedded reporter in Viet Nam.

Of course what was reported verses the interests of sponsors/advertisers has always been an issue at times.

5. Chris Noyb

FAUX News Spin is at it again.
    I'm shocked :eek:!

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-ne...terrorist-attack-and-used-it-demonize-muslims

Of course nothing will happen to
    the "journalists" :rolleyes: behind the "news."

Edited to add...

Sports Illustrated found publishing AI generated stories, photos and authors

This doesn't surprise me at all after SI named a former NFL star turned failed college head coach as it's Sportsperson of the Year. SI in turn deserves the Fellatio Journalism* of the Year award.

*Yes, that is, or was, a real term.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
  6. rogue49

Fox has done a variety of ethically bad things for a long while, this doesn't surprise me.
    By now, it's not IF they did something bad, but WHEN they're going to do it again. :rolleyes:

They need to really implement a law that says when ANY media is created by AI it noted in the pic/vid/article/etc.
    That's a start.
    But in the end, or in the shorter term, if media producers just put a tiny note, somewhere even out of the way, they'll get away with it.
    And the fools readers will just keep absorbing the material anyway.
    Just like they do today.

Companies are going to do whatever cost less and produces more. That's their agenda. And most integrity is out the door.
    Unless the person in charge at that particular place and time, puts a stop to it. And that could change at any time.

We're heading into a chaotic world which nothing can be defined.
    Get ready for a ride and be skeptical about everything. It's going to be exhausting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. rogue49

Sen. Ron Johnson Squirms When CNN’s Kaitlan Collins Asks Him To Back Up Claim

THIS is what the media needs to do always now.
    Call ALL politicians and lawyers and their allies on their bullshit. (from any party or Independent)

There's no more respect for the media, there's only spin from many politicians.
    I say, if the politicians want air time, which they're addicted to, then the price to pay will be being truly grilled and called on their BS.

The conservative media outlets are fading in number and power, since they've had so much instability and controversies and scandal.
    So what's left, are the neutral outlets...and the talking heads need to start really smacking down if they see true holes.

The 4th estate represents the people and nation too...they're the ones at the front, truly able to ask the real questions.
    This is one of the main ways to get VIPs to keep their noses clean.

Regular people and groups are too busy with real life to be able to stay on top of the leaders and their cohorts.
    This is why we have representative government.
    But the media needs to check them. The courts can only do it when cases are brought...and they are slow as molasses.

Besides, it definitely would be more entertaining. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Chris Noyb

What happened here will be quickly lost.

What happens when the claim is repeated, minus the challenge, is people (generally speaking) will remember it.

For better or worse, people want new news, & the for profit news media gives the people what they want.

I'm the last person to defend the focus on fast & recent news, but I can also see how complicated & time consuming it would be for the news media to keep up with updates on every worthy story, esp in certain formats. It can be done on say a website, but the info will only be seen by those looking for it, not the general public who doesn't care about "old" news.

9. rogue49

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chris Noyb

11. Chris Noyb

This could easily go in the Biden thread.

Opinion: Why Do Journalists Let Lawmakers Get Away With Baldfaced Lying?

Call out the manipulators and liars for what hey are.

Follow-up on stories that continue after the click bait title and outrageous quote have first been used.

I'd love to see a neutral news media group dedicated to following up on continuing stores. The name could be Then What Happened?.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. rogue49

They have a variety of fact-check sites, but they often are ignored.
    These trended for awhile, but they couldn't keep up with the volume of lies...the readers couldn't either.
    Plus there's too many gray areas or subjective interpretations.
    More trouble than it's worth, often enough.

13. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

They also don't want to be seen as attacking one side or the other.
    Or lose access to one side completely because they challenge them too often.
    The fact is that journalists who call out liars don't get interviews after a while so it's really hard to do their job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Chris Noyb

If they hound the people
    who refuse to be interviewed,
    and concentrate on those who
    do agree & get interviewed,
    they move towards becoming
    FauX News.
    :p :D :(

15. rogue49

https://www.salon.com/2024/03/05/there-is-something-at-the-new-york-times/
    It's definitely a double-standard.

And it's not just the NYT, but it's happening everywhere.

Chump, they say that's just him, they're numb to him.
    Biden, they go after like a tan suit.

But in the end, it's about $$$ and what sells.

16. Chris Noyb

It's been going on for centuries.

Government funded news means the party in control -- and sometimes an egotistical controlling POTUS -- can use purse strings as puppet strings.

Private enterprise news means the owner and/or editor can manipulate the news to fit their beliefs, or jump on the current trend that gets attention and brings in a nice profit (Rupert Murdoch, FauX News).

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

17. Chris Noyb

Ronna McDaniel has been a dedicated GOP mouthpiece & guard dog for many years. Her consistent defense of the GOP, especially continuing lying after the lies were exposed, makes her either a true Republican patriot, or a despicable MAGA assmouth.

Ronna McDaniel says there was ‘tension’ between RNC and Trump campaign over debates: Full interview

^^ Note: Apparently McDaniel has refused numerous times to appear on NBc's Meet The Press. She was paid for her appearance today.

WTF is NBC News thinking? There is no way she can report the news with a right wing perspective (which is a good thing, within limits) without being a mouthpiece for the right. Even if she's given enough rope to hang herself, or winds up being a background token conservative, or becomes the court jester, paying her for even a short stay is ridiculous.

I don't think any news organization worthy of the name journalism would hire a former hardcore outspoken industry leader & supporter to report on their industry.

It's possible McDaniel will never actually go to work at NBC. If so, she'll still get some pay from NBC.

Edit...

What Is NBC News Even Thinking Hiring Ronna McDaniel?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Chris Noyb

The WSJ has an article, behind a paywall for me, saying MSNBC has no intention of using McDaniel.

19. Chris Noyb

This morning I'm seeing an unusually high number of FAUX News stories in my Salon news feed.

Edit: I got interrupted.

A cynical person might thinks they're releasing a flood of stories in an attempt to draw attention away from news regarding a certain XPOTUS.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  20. Chris Noyb

https://www.salon.com/2024/04/18/ju...ng-outed-after-fox-news-host-singled-her-out/

The article targets FAUX News, but also mentions news sources that are generally considered to be more responsible & respectable than FAUX.

They all need to back off. Yes, there is tremendous interest in the trial, and it has significant major historical importance. That does not give the news media the right to expose jury members, even if the exposure isn't complete.

The trial is complicated enough without the news media crossing the line in an effort to scoop, or at least keep up with, the competition.

Note:
    A thought...remember the huge settlement FAUX made with Domnion Voting, the one where they were able to claim a massive tax write-off?

• Agree Agree x 1