1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics The 4th Estate - Media....is it truth or fiction? TFP pundits will examine.

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Nov 5, 2012.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Fact
    This is what we want...reality.
    Or at least this what many of us "say" they want.

It is up to journalism to step it up a notch.
    In this new randomized world where people get unfiltered info at rapid rates
    The news needs to filter it.

ESPECIALLY when our leaders are instigating most of the fraud and deception and spin.
    THIS is their responsibility.
    We don't go to news for entertainment...we go for facts. (and perhaps interpretation of the facts)
    If we wanted fiction...we'll pay for TV or the Movies.

In a time where, "facts don't matter"
    News needs to be the place where facts DO matter.
    And call out lies and fraud.

STOP being polite.
    Do your job.

In Trump Era, Uncompromising TV News Should Be the Norm, Not the Exception

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

"News is what somebody does not want you to print. All the rest is advertising."
    —[multiple attrib.]​

• Like Like x 2
  3. rogue49

4. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

They have a valid point.
    The presidents in the past had figured out how to defang the press.
    It took years of careful work and learning from their mistakes (Vietnam for example) but the White House had pretty much got down how to, in general, make the press dance to their tune.
    Trump and his crew don't seem to understand any of that.
    They have tossed all the tricks and psychological massaging that has been developed over the years by both Democrats and Republicans to make an enemy out of the bulk of the press core.
    Having only Fox (and then only sometimes) and the outliers like Breitbart/Infowars on your side doesn't work.

5. rogue49

• Like Like x 1
  6. Katia

Katia Very Tilted

7. rogue49

Well media...it's bleeding, now do some leading.
    You've got your catch for your ads, a reason to buy your papers/memberships.
    Dig.
    Dig to China (or in this case...perhaps Russia)

Shine the light.
    Scatter the cockroaches.
    Burn the vampires.

You got a job...
    Fuckin' do it.
    Earn your money.

8. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

This morning some of the talking news media heads were comparing The Donald to Tricky Dicky.

I had the same thoughts when shitbrain was elected.

9. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I really don't think he is as smart as Nixon.
    Nixon did things like start the EPA because he recognized the need to protect the environment.
    The man was a paranoid, racist, evil, smuck, but he wasn't stupid.
    Trump has street smarts but he doesn't have political smarts or the attention span of a gnat.
    I have tried time and again to avoid the word stupid.
    Even George W. wasn't stupid, he was average, a C student.
    I still don't want C students leading this country.
    I was a B student and I don't think I should be leading the country.
    Trump was at best an average student.
    Maybe he did well in the classes that interested him but I'm willing to bet he skated in the rest.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Chris Noyb

They were talking mostly about the news media battles Nixon had, and the ones shitbrain is having & will continue to have.

I do agree that Nixon was much smarter than shitbrain, but there are/will be many parallels between the two. Namely egos, & claiming executive privilege, IMO.

11. rogue49

DAMN!
    Someone got told!
    (see the vid at the bottom of the article)
    'You have provided absolutely no evidence': Stephanopoulos grills Trump adviser in a testy interview about voter fraud

Now, why can't more media do this more often???
    Truth, ask for evidence...hit the spin artist hard.
    I don't care if it's GOP or DEM or otherwise...liberal or conservative or independent or anything source.

But pundit and representatives have to start being held to the FACTS.
    Show your cards, show evidence.

These are NOT just words, this is NOT just bullshit. This is about REAL issues, that affect ALL.
    And media needs to have a hammer, not just speculation or leading questions...to follow false equivalence...to nail down these people.

• Like Like x 3
  12. rogue49

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chris Noyb

It's bad. IMO the death of small town newspapers is a major reason why the media missed Trump's support in rural areas. I'm leaving out televised news media because they have pretty much always concentrated on the large cities. Many stories covered by small local newspapers would never make it onto TV, unless the stories were big (deciding what's newsworthy could be whole different discussion). Sending reporters out to small towns and rural areas during a political campaign isn't the same as having reporters who actually live & work in those areas.

IIRC there were news reports where people in less populated areas admitted to very intentionally misleading reporters. I believe it because of the number of (supposedly?) undecided voters in the last presidential campaign.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 25, 2017, Original Post Date: Apr 25, 2017 ---
    Ratings and profit.

The façade of prestige.

In the televised news media, hammering guests on a regular basis means people start turning down invitations to appear on the news programs where they're likely to get hammered.

What will people--in general--want to watch, a political reporter explaining that a certain Important Person In Politics (IPIP) declined the invitation to appear, or the IPIP making an appearance on another program?

14. rogue49

15. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

The nerd prom is tonight. I have a feeling it should be quite interesting to watch.

16. rogue49

Heard it was sedate for the most part...focused on award and acknowledgements.

First prez in 36 years to not attend...and that was Reagan after he got shot...and he still phoned in (with a quip even)

17. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

They didn't go after Trump as much as they could have, but they promoted good journalism that would expose the corruption and lies to find out the truth, and there was enough comedy by Hassan to make it worth it. And he didn't hold back on going after the media outlets there either.

18. rogue49

Like John Dickerson of Face the Nation did with Trump
    Held to fact, played hardball with him...Trump actually walked out when asked about the Obama wiretap accusations

And on another show Priebus actually admitted they looked into changing libel laway and the First Amendment to be able to sue news outlets :eek:

19. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

This shitty part about all of this is that you can't get too authentic on any of them, or you won't get any more interviews.

20. rogue49