1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics The 4th Estate - Media....is it truth or fiction? TFP pundits will examine.

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

^ My wife.

Except she tolerates the news only because
    I insist on watching it & reading it.

Seriously.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

3. Chris Noyb

• Like Like x 1
  4. rogue49

Likely both.
    The devil distracts with truth.

5. rogue49

Elon Musk Loses It Over Twitter Advertiser Exodus, Threatens ‘Thermonuclear Name & Shame’

Quit your whining. You shot yourself in the foot, playing with your new "gun" (Twitter, of course)
    Someone should have told you, "you'll shoot your eye out". :rolleyes:

Arrogance.
    Satisfying the cliché, "Ultimate power corrupts ultimately."
    And your panties are showing...and the true color of them...

Potentially, racist (there's your South African, I guess)
    Elitist, not opposed to Tyranny (negotiating and cooperating with T and Putin, etc)
    Unrestrained and chaotic...spouting conspiracy, sedition and encouraging it.
    And so on...

It's irrelevant that you created Tesla, SpaceX, etc...
    Being a shit human to other people, has NO excuses. :mad:

The shit has hit the fan...you had the diarrhea.
    Going to take a lot to clean up.
    Good luck with that shit.
    Customers don't wanna eat in a place that smells and is unsanitary
    Go figure... :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Chris Noyb

More than a few people have questioned Musk's financing of the Twitter purchase.

How Elon Musk funded $44 billion Twitter deal

If Twitter starts/continues bleeding out financially, could we see legitimate investors bailing out? See groups with questionable agendas buy some (more?) control of Twitter?

It's fun to see Musk's vanity purchase failing, but the fallout could be intensely complicated.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Chris Noyb

Elon Musk's Twitter girds for surge in U.S. midterm election misinformation

That is a very misleading title. The article shows how Twitter is clearly unprepared for the anticipated* onslaught of misinformation, esp with Musk encouraging people to vote Republican.

I don't think Musk's timing is an accident.

* Anticipated is usually red flag for me in what I call real news, as opposed to op-ed news. In this case I think anticipated is based solidly in fact.

Mentioning Twitter & op-ed...
    How long will it be before NPD Trump is allowed (welcomed with open arms) to post again? From what I can tell NPD Trump has none or very little of his own money invested in Truth Social; he'll walk away from TS the same as he has many of his vanity projects.

8. Chris Noyb

https://theconversation.com/how-the...-his-new-run-for-president-responsibly-194122

Thomas E. Patterson offers some solid -- and conflicting -- advice on how journalists can cover NPD Trump.

Much of what NPD Trump says can be clearly shown to be false, but he also mixes fact, fiction, & opinion. Refuting those comments frequently involves, I'll say requires, at least some op-ed from journalists. When statements aren't black or white, or right or wrong, the gray area has to be explained.

There would be one very clear way to reduce NPD Trump's presence in the news: Don't give him coverage simply because he says and/or writes something stupid or outrageous. The downside of this when his comments hit social media there would be little or no challenge to their validity.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris Noyb

https://www.theleaderonline.com/single-post/endorsement-robert-zimmerman-for-us-congress-ny3

https://www.theleaderonline.com/single-post/santos-filings-now-claim-net-worth-of-11-million

(I'm aware that) The discussion of George Santos is in the What's Happening thread.

I'm posting the links here to show that solid journalism also exists in small news media such as community newspapers, like The North Shore Leader.

I'm biased: BA Journalism, Minor PolSci. There aren't a lot of openings with the major news publications. The good news is you get some solid journalism at some small newspapers. The bad news is you get news suppression at some small newspapers (and big ones).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. rogue49

Off the air, Fox News stars blasted the election fraud claims they peddled — NPR

Fox News is certainly not truth
    Definitely fiction

At least when it wants to be.
    They should call it entertainment.

Or at least stop calling it “news”.
    It is as bad as the National Enquirer and the like.

When even most of your conservative pundits are calling BS, you’ve got a problem.

But another problem is they are still saying lies to viewers for you.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Chris Noyb

A recurring theme at FOX: Protect our brand and our ratings.

Misinterpretations, half-truths, unreported news, & blatant lies presented as news all in the name of the brand, ratings, & profits.

I don't subscribe to the Wall Street Journal (a great insomnia cure, IMO) which is another Murdoch owned news publication. I wonder what it's record is for covering NPD Trump, & the lawsuit against FOX.

• Like Like x 1
  12. rogue49

The 'wackadoodle' foundation of Fox News' election-fraud claims — NPR

So, there were some crazy kooky people, who “listened to the wind” and such
    And Fox News put them on the air.

AND had their pundits and shows support them.
    All in the name of ratings.

This is the political equivalent of poisoning water with your factory sludge. :eek:

Put at risk, a nation, an election…just to save your hides.
    And do it with whackadoo “experts”.

Doesn’t matter if they protested it behind the scenes.
    They shouted the conspiracy out all over the country…on TV, radio and internet.
    Basically yelling “Fire!” in a crowded theater.

I hope they lose many billions in the lawsuit.
    If Alex Jones can lose what he did, then Fox should lose substantially more.
    Because the impact was so much more…

We almost lost our nation to tyranny due to their antics.
    No joke, no exaggeration. :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Chris Noyb

^^^
    There used to be some sound advice / an old adage regarding plotting something illegal:
    Don't put anything in writing.

Related, sort of...
    Now if we could get the Secret Service, and other responsible agencies, communications from Jan 05 & 06, 2021.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. rogue49

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Chris Noyb

Carlson did this while FOX News is being sued for intentionally presenting lies as news (redundancy for emphasis). This kind of blatant stupidity has to have Murdoch's approval, at minimum silent consent.

Edit: The Repubs overall won't go after McCarthy. Can the Dems, with Repub help, get him removed?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Chris Noyb

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. rogue49

Oh, Fox needs to be placed under the rack by the govt...like they did to Wells Fargo for opening accounts. (they just got the exec in charge to plead guilty)
    And restraints on growth, under audit and penalties and so on...
    Fraud is fraud.
    This was something done by intent.

Media needs to be held to ethical standards too,
    There needs to be consequences.

18. Chris Noyb

Yes.

Absolutely not a 1st Admendment issue. The evidence clearly shows this was a series business decisions made to exploit a hot topic (kept alive by FOX) for profit. FOX made no effort to separate real news (as they loosely define it) from what should've clearly been identified as Op-Ed.

Edit: The big question is how do you punish a news media outlet? Beyond $$$ punishment. Can fairness in reporting be enforced (that's a steep slippery slope)?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Chris Noyb

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Chris Noyb

Judge says Fox has a “credibility problem” after Murdoch revelation

Did FOX intentionally hide Murdoch's position as an officer at FOX "News," or simply stay quiet expecting the prosecution to find the info?

If his position was clearly listed in the SEC filings as FOX "News" claims, how was it overlooked by Dominion's legal team? That would be extremely embarrassing.

What communications were missed because of this? Can they be obtained & used?

If I were the judge I would question the ethics of FOX' attorneys, & the competency of Dominion's attorneys (and my staff).

• Agree Agree x 1