1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The all about Bicycling thread

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Zweiblumen, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

[ A general thread about bicycling: questions, tips, stories and thoughts]

I will start with a double question:
    Do you use a helmet when riding a bicycle?​
    Lifespan of a helmet, how often should it be replaced ?​

2. LinaT14

LinaT14 Vertical

You should wear a helmet. Having said that, I only wear one when I'm riding alone, for longer distances, and when I know I'll be where traffic is heavy. Fortunately I live in a city that's mostly bicycle-friendly.

When should you replace a helmet? When you have a crash.

3. Helmet and gloves everytime I'm on the bike. All it takes is one spill and you'll know why.

4. ktspktsp

ktspktsp Vertical

I do. It's mandatory in the Seattle area. But I would still wear even if it were optional, considering that I generally ride on roads more that trails (and you can still have a nasty spill on a trail anyway).
    How old is your helmet?

5. My friend P who cycles WAY more than I (I haven't ridden my bike since I moved to Oregon) says to replace the helmet every 4 years due to the plastic and foam will deteriorate.

I'm feeling really good these days and need to start biking more in this town that is friendly to those who do. I haven't gotten a new helmet, or a new bike lock, and that has been preventing me from doing so.

6. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

This makes good intuitive sense but isn't borne out by science.
    The synthetics used will last a long, long time. In the last decade there have been some real advances in helmet technology so it has been worth it to replace every few years because the product is actually improving, not because your old one will fall apart..
    It is also a good idea to replace when your helmet sustains a bonk.

7. dogzilla

dogzilla New Member

I always wear a helmet. It might have made a difference in the last crash I had, 6 years ago.

I replaced the helmet after the crash, not since. There's some foam padding strips inside that are starting to deteriorate but I think the helmet itself is still ok.

8. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Given the humidity here, I won't be surprised to find that my helmet deteriorates. So many other things here do. The jungle just eats everything, one way or another.

I ride and I wear a helmet. I should say, however, that I really don't like wearing one and didn't wear one for years. I've seen a few bike meets car accidents where a helmet would have saved a lot of pain and suffering... or even a life. It wasn't pretty.

I went to buy one the other day and helmets are fricken expensive.

Here's my question: Where do you store your bike?

9. arkana

arkana Very Tilted

I store my bike just inside my main entrance... it's always kind of in the way. But at least it means I usually take it out.

10. Charlatan

I've been storing my bike on an Ikea hacked bike hanger. While I have it locked to the post, I am a bit worried that it's going to be stolen. My wife won't let me bring it in the house.

11. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

My bike is locked in the shed that the landlord just built from a kit to replace the old POS that was there before. :)
    As far as helmets, I have not owned a helmet since 1993/4? maybe. Right before the law in Oregon requiring riders under 17 (if memory serves) came into law. Having said that, I have ridden a bike very sparingly over the past few years, and only in this quiet little town. Hauling it into Pullman has always been way too much work and biking into town 'just for the fun of it' 4-5 miles each way is not going to happen.

12. fflowley

Mine live in the garage and I'm fortunate to have my own office at work where the commuter bike spends the day.

13. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

I haven't rode a bike without an helmet in years (10++). The bikes live in the so called garage and at work I tend to store it inside, either in the entrance or in some office.

14. Charlatan

I can't store my bike safely at work. There is a bike rack outside, but it's not supervised and I am sure my bike will disappear and be up for sale in Malaysia before lunch.

15. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

We store our three most frequently used bikes in the living room, two road bikes on a wall rack and the third, a townie with a front basket, against the opposite wall. The others are in the basement, partially disassembled. If I had my way, the guest bedroom would serve double duty as a bike storage room.

My office is located in rented space in an office park with no onsite bike racks, so I keep my bike inside my office during the day.

I've worn my helmet every time I have ridden with a handful of exceptions, including a week on a rented cruiser while on vacation in Key West last year. It felt downright weird.

I love my current helmet, but some of the plastic is separating from the foam and it's been dropped too many times to count. I'm hoping to replace it soon and am keeping my eyes open for good helmet deals.

Speaking of which, where do you buy most of your bike gear? Local bike shops, sports retailers (REI, Performance, Dick's, Sports Authority), big box stores, online, EBay, from friends, or none of the above?

16. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I always wear my helmet. Parents and children alike spot me on my bicycle around town, and believe me, if I didn't wear my helmet, I'd hear about it.

My bicycle is stored in the garage. This is both good and bad. It means I don't see my bicycle--out of sight, out of mind--but it's also a convenient place to store it, except for the crap that piles up around it and makes it hard to get the bicycle out.

As for gear, almost everything that goes with my bike was purchased from one of two local bike shops. My helmet was not. Helmets at the bike shop were priced about $10-20 more than what they were at the locally owned discount store, so I went to the discount store after talking to the guys at the bike shop.

Next Monday I'm going to have to start getting refamiliarized with my bike--I hardly rode it all summer, which seems kind of a shame, and then at the end of summer, I injured my knee and it became impossible. I'm hoping my knee will be healed enough next Monday to handle the ride. My schedule requires I ride a bicycle--class at 8am, work at 9:30, class at 2pm, work at 3:30, and they're all too far apart this term to do on foot.

17. Typically at a bike shop. I've got a big melon and finding helmets to fit isn't easy. I've not been impressed with sports retailers and big box stores, the quality and selection isn't that great. Now that it is end of summer you can usually find some deals on product. While I've not ordered from an online retailer there are several that specialize in bicycles and accessories.

18. Billie

Billie New Member

Been serious biking most of my life, have several competitive bikes , mountain , cross and road. The only place I don't wear a helmet is when I am on my trainer in my sportsroom.Had a good friend killed by another bike knocking him off his thus hitting his head on the road. Each to their own, but to me its the stupitest thing to not wear one, you are no hero if you are dead, for what reason other than worrying about your looks or hair would you not wear one.Replace the helmet as soon as it wears out,remember if you ride a lot, you perspire in it, so it gets wet,dirty, mildew and wears out sooner, if you are a causual rider the helmet will last longer.

19. fflowley

Consider yourself fortunate if you have a good local bike shop and reward them with your business.
    Otherwise it's stuff from the Internet.
    I like Competitive Cyclist but they can be pricey. Licktons is good as is Peter White.

20. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I would buy one and wear it if I rode around Pullman or anywhere bigger than this town. All but two roads here are unpaved and the the speed limit is 25 MPH in town limits. And 'rush hour' is when there are more than two cars on the main road in town.
    There are way too many crazy drivers and very busy roads in Pullman and Moscow to even think of not protecting your head.