1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food The Bacon Thread

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Leto, Sep 26, 2011.

1. [​IMG]

Yes, I'm wearing these right now. :D

2. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

3. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

"I enjoy having breakfast in bed. I like waking up to the smell of bacon- sue me- and since I don't have a butler, I have to do it myself. So most nights before I go to bed I will lay six strips of bacon out on my George Foreman Grill. Then I go to sleep. When I wake up, I plug in the grill. I go back to sleep again. Then I wake up to the smell of crackling bacon. It is delicious. It's good for me. It's the perfect way to start the day. Today I got up, I stepped onto the grill and it clamped down on my foot. That's it. I don't see what's so hard to believe about that" - Michael Scott

Also, I saw that Tony's I-75 was posted earlier. I live close to that amazing place, and have eaten there more times than my arteries would like to admit...

4. warrrreagl

warrrreagl Slightly Tilted

Grancey gave me this as a stocking stuffer.

[​IMG]

5. mb99usa

mb99usa Getting Tilted

I gave my daughter bacon flavored toothpaste as a stocking stuffer.

6. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

crispy with minimal fat and maxed thickness is maximum power

7. cynthetiq

8. Avestruz

Avestruz Vertical

Not that this will be much use to you if you're not a bacon fan, but I've heard from a vegetarian friend that halloumi can be a good substitute for bacon, presumably in flavour rather than texture (I haven't personally tried it). However, a quick visit to wikipedia suggests it is made with rennet.

When I was vegetarian before I didn't miss bacon much (also, the available bacon substitutes back then were invariably atrocious, but I admit I haven't tried any in more recent times). Since returning to the darkside I have found that bacon is a true essential. I'm leaning towards less of the meat eating again lately but I'm not convinced I am truly prepared to give up bacon.

I had some turkey bacon recently (in-laws went on vacation and cleared out their fridge) but I thought it was pretty poor.

Moving country has reduced my bacon consumption, though. I loved a good meaty slice of smoked back bacon back home in the UK but the stuff I find here in Canada (in supermarkets at least) is normally the streaky kind and as a perpetual dieter I can't get on board with that most of the time. And I'm not sure I can handle entering a butcher's premises. Strangely, I haven't yet encountered that curiously ham-looking thing they call Canadian bacon here (edit: this sentence is mangled, I am sure the Canadians don't call it that but whatever they happen to call it, I haven't seen it), which seems like it could be more up my street.

Gosh this thread makes me feel dirty.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. cynthetiq

The movie theater I'm going to tonight has bacon popcorn. Bacon popcorn.

• Like Like x 2
  10. mouth is watering, almost too much to comprehend

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rebel CR

Rebel CR Vertical

hell yes!!!

12. mandy

mandy Vertical

absolutely LOVE cooking with Bacon... one simple recipe that all our friends die for, are bacon wrapped potato wedges nom nom nom

So, you cut your taters into wedges and par boil them or (for a quicker easier way) put them in a jiffy bag and in the micro for about 8 minutes. Season them with potato spice or salt and pepper, then proceed to wrap the streaky bacon around it. Bake in the oven on 180 degrees celcius until bacon is crispy. serve with a smoked ham or sweet chilli cream cheese!!!

If you dont know what love is... you'll know it as soon as one of these pass your lips :)

Bacons Bacons Bacons!!! Loves me some Bacons!

13. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Bacon is great and everything, but it's important to not get caught up in the hype. It's not—despite the wonderful, wonderful existence of maple bacon donuts—universally the best thing in the world. It's all about knowing the proper applications of bacon, about knowing its place. Bacon, I would argue, is a condiment, a side dish.

For example, one cannot simply substitute "bacon" (i.e., strips of cured pork belly) for "peameal bacon" (i.e., strips of cured and trimmed pork loin that's been rolled in dried and ground yellow pea) in the peameal bacon sandwiches as made famous at Toronto's St. Lawrence Market. One simply cannot. They aren't the same thing. A bacon sandwich is an entirely different sandwich than a peameal bacon sandwich, the former being rather inferior (and incomplete, if you ask me) to the latter.

Also: crème brûlée > hollandaise sauce > bacon > the rest of the culinary universe

Don't hate me. Them's the facts.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

You know what that's actually called? Bacon. C'mon, man. You've been duped. :p

Honestly though. I've had my fair share of bacon sandwiches. They pale in comparison to peameal bacon sandwiches. I've literally drooled on myself eating one of those things. It's kind of embarrassing.

15. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*runs for the hills*

• Like Like x 2
  16. mandy

mandy Vertical

For you Baraka Guru... i could not resist :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1