1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The comedian who changed my life

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by cynthetiq, Oct 12, 2017.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

The Comedian WCML Archives - The Interrobang

"The Comedian Who Changed My Life is a new series where comics talk about, you guessed it, the comedian who changed their life."

I'd like to turn this into something a bit more than limited to just which comedians influenced another.

Did you have a comedian who influenced your life? Which one? What bit?

I watched Rowan & Martin's Laugh In and all the different variety shows that were in they 70s. Flip Wilson, Red Foxx, gave me some good chuckles.

I grew up with the Not Ready For Prime Time Players, the original cast of Saturday Night Live. They had some impact on my life. Steve Martin and Dan Ackroyd for sure did their bits and skits and I copied them and did them with friends.

George Carlin's Seven Words that changed my life and got me interested in critical thinking.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyBH5oNQOS0

It was Frank DeLima a relatively unknown comedian on the mainland but well known in Hawaii that really moved the needle. His album made me really get into some parody music. It also allowed me to understand I could laugh at both the Hawaiian/Filipino and American connections.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tix4XDL1vyM

• Like Like x 1
  2. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I grew up listening to my dads Stan Freberg albums.
    There were so many jokes I didn't get but they did a lot create my sense of humor and certainly made me a pain in the ass at school.

Edit: I meant to include this story as an example of what I meant about the pain in the ass at school.
    I brought this album to my 5th grade class for history.
    The teacher listened to the beginning and did not think it was one bit funny.
    I kept insisting it was and she needed to listen more.
    My relationship with that teacher didn't go well after that.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  3. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

George Carlin
    Eddie Murphy
    Sam Kinison (The ABCs)
    Robin Williams
    Elaine Boosler
    Richard Jeni
    Andrew Dice Clay (the poems)
    Richard Pryor
    Abbott & Costello
    Mel Brooks

That's what I remember for now

4. Katia

Katia Very Tilted

John Cleese
    Michael Palin
    Eric Idle
    The rest of the Monty Python gang
    Robin Williams
    Peter Sellers
    John Belushi
    Jim Carrey
    Dom DeLuise
    Bill Murray

5. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

How did those comedians change your life?

6. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

@cynthetiq -All of these overlap and blur together, so I'm focusing on the primary angle...but these were all around when growing up...including into my 20's

George Carlin - for noting the pattern of things...and the absurdity of the truth
    Eddie Murphy - for noting how people really act (raw may be uncomfortable, but it's true)
    Sam Kinison (The ABCs - come on...that's a game changer...especially for my love of sex and giving women pleasure)
    Robin Williams - truly my source for irreverent references and allowing myself to be a goof and silly
    Elaine Boosler - wry light hearted sarcasm, describing people.
    Richard Jeni - cultural...with what I grew up with on the East Coast
    Andrew Dice Clay (the poems - the raw don't give a fuck if I'm offending someone attitude I sometimes have)
    Richard Pryor - the ability to describe a situation and make it humorous
    Abbott & Costello - watched these guy ad nauseam every Sunday...the rhythm...and especially the banter.
    Mel Brooks - tongue in cheek, wink, wink sense of humor

All of them were during my formative years.
    There are more like Monty Python...but they came later, when I knew enough to understand their references...they're actually quite intellectual.
    And Benny Hill...was funny, but didn't really "influence" me.

Does that answer your question??

• Like Like x 1
  7. Shayla560

Shayla560 Vertical

Eddie Murphy , Richard Pryor, marx brothers,3 stoogies, Robin Williams,Rosanne Barr,weird Al Yankovich.