1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The Complaining and Bitching Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ASU2003, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

UPS truck rolls up in front of my house. The driver isn't our usual guy, he's much younger. He starts unloading three pretty large boxes out the passenger side door. They are about the same size as the boxes Amazon uses to put two 35# bags of dog food in. He kind of tosses the first one onto the ground, with the other two on the top step. He just pulls them down one at a time, letting them roll hard down the stairs onto the street. I can't remember ordering anything, and it's the wrong time of the month for my Amazon subscription that includes all kind of bulk items. He gets them all on his dolly, when I see the big red "FRAGILE" sticker on one of the boxes he just rolled down the steps.

It ended up going to my neighbor across the street. I hope whatever was in the FRAGILE box was packed well....

• Like Like x 4
  2. Borla

It's been 10+ years since I've owned a desktop computer. I've had work laptops forever, and for the last 3 years or so I've also had a second personal laptop.

For various reasons (wife's personal laptop is dying, desire for a giant display, better gaming, etc.) we decided to order a new desktop, which I did last night. Because we don't currently have one, I added some periphery items (mouse, upgraded keyboard, etc.), got a monitor, and added an upgraded software license.

Not 15 seconds after I hit "submit" on the order, my phone vibrates with a text. It's Chase fraud alert asking if I really wanted a transaction with Dell to go through, and to text "1" in a reply if so, or "2" if not. Within another 15-20 seconds I hit "1" and sent it, and as the text out was leaving a text in said the transaction was denied due to fraud prevention. At the same time I got an email from Chase asking me the same thing. The email was more detailed and said that if I hit "yes" the card would not be frozen, but the vendor would have to run the transaction a second time as it was already bounced. If I hit "no" the card would be frozen. I hit "yes" and got a confirmation that the card wasn't locked.

So I go to Dell's website to see how to push the order through. They had a message for me saying the order had been held by the payment issue and that it would be resubmitted the next business day automatically. If it went through then, I didn't need to do anything.

Then I see the breakdown.............and why the order got held up. They submitted FOUR separate charges. One for the PC, a second for the display, a third for the periphery items, and a fourth for the software license. *facepalm* It doesn't take a genius to understand that four charges being sent through separately, but in the same instant of time, from the same company, would be flagged. I have to think that this happens all the time. I also wish Chase would give me at least 30-60 seconds to answer their inquiry before refusing the charge. While I appreciate the protection (which really protects them as much as me, since they'd be liable if I reported the fraud), why even send a text or email if you don't allow even 10-15 seconds to reply?

Now my new killer rig delivery will be delayed a day or so. /firstworldproblems

• Like Like x 3
  3. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I spent a lot of hours on a MacBook docked to a 25" Dell monitor with a real keyboard and mouse. I hate trackpads, and really need a keybpard with a numeric keypad.
    I's easy to dock and undock, takes maybe 25 seconds to dock, ten seconds to undock. I rarely used my MacBook as a laptop unless traveling, or sometimes out on the patio or front porch swing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Borla

Looks like "next business day" is just exactly 24 hours later. I got a notification that all the charges went through just a bit ago. May still get everything by the weekend, best case. Early next week at the latest.

5. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Chase, you say? I just got a text and a phone call (both computerized of course) on my cell phone asking me to respond to potential fraud on my account. I/We don't have a Chase account, and so far I haven't been able to reach an actual human to have them double check the phone number. I'm mildly concerned because the name on the account they left sounds totally phony.

Edit--I tried again; it sucks when you can't speak to a human. Oh well. If this account is real, and has nothing to do with me other than a mis-entered phone number, the account holder & Chase will need to figure it out.

6. Borla

FWIW, the "official" text format for Chase is like this:

Then it will immediately be followed by a second message either saying the charge was approved or denied.

My guess is you got messages asking you to call. I'd Google the number they said to call, or where the messages were from. My gut says it was a phishing scam.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chris Noyb

I Googled the number, someone posted it was a legit chase #.
    I called Chase at one of their 800 #s from their website. I s/w a CSR, explained why I was calling. Yes my cell phone was in their system. He wouldn't give me any info, but said my cell # would be removed.

Maybe this will help someone:
    The # in the VM & text is 800-307-3161 (doesn't have any option to s/w a human).
    The # I chose from the Chase site is 800-935-9935.

• Like Like x 3
  8. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

My dumbass Son got his first weeks pay. One week, his bring home was more than mine. He walked off the job. Too dirty, running a saw.

• Like Like x 1
  9. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Damn... that's dumbass

10. I'm bored with my job now...... To the want ads!

11. Ugggg...what is UP with this place? It's so boring.

Do stuff people. Entertain me!

12. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

13. omega

omega Very Tilted

Instead of paying taxes, can I just mail a check to a wealthy person? Seems more efficient that way.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Chris Noyb

Definitely major dumbass.

15. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

I move too much. Nice to make changes in life, but I should tone it down a little and spend more time in each location.

16. A morning BJ would definitely set the tone for my day....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  17. omega

omega Very Tilted

At the hospital. Turns out my girlfriend's 19 year old son has ruptured his appendix. We are waiting to speak to the on call surgeon about when they are going to operate and so forth. Poor kid.

18. Borla

Yikes. I've never experienced it, but have heard that's an incredibly painful ordeal. Hopefully they've got him comfortable and can take care of it quickly.

19. omega

omega Very Tilted

So because it has already ruptured, they have started iv antibiotics. They are going to admit him, but they are monitoring how the antibiotics are going. They want the infection down before they operate. So if the inflammation doesn't go down, they could send him home for up to a month before operating. I hope things progress and he can stay here so they can just get it over with. I don't like the idea of dragging it out.

20. Borla

For his sake I hope they are able to get it over with.