1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

the conservative political machine: manufacturing islamophobia

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by roachboy, Aug 29, 2011.

1. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

All I know is, I was sitting in the nail salon with my sister a few weeks ago getting my pedicure done, heh, and there was some dude on CNN running for office somewhere (I never did figure that out) talking about how we have to stop the spread of shari'a law in this country and he was being taken seriously. It's one thing to have your nut jobs running around being nutso in cheap paperback books and on public access tv, it's quite another for them to have a venue on the largest, most pervasive news organization in this country with a reporter nodding solemnly and treating him like he is reasonable.

I think you underestimate what is going on.

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Now you've struck on an entirely different problem.

CNN, FoxNews, MSNBC, fill in your favorite news source here, are not about reporting reality anymore. They are about whatever can get them ratings. They view it as a contest for the almighty dollar, with bonus points if you can spin things to shock, frighten, or outrage instead of discussing the facts. :mad:

3. redux

redux Very Tilted

When anti-sharia legislation is introduced in 13 states in the last year (enacted in two states) and those 13 bills are almost identical word-for-word to a "model" bill written by one of the fear-mongers identified in the report then it is more than coincidence and more than a "tiny misinformed portion of the people."

4. Borla

So 4% of states have passed ridiculous and unnecessary legislation and you take this as proof that there is a massive groundswell of hate mongering?

18 states have sodomy laws still on the books. Imagine all of the massive jumps we could make to various creative conclusions on that!

5. redux

redux Very Tilted

Most of those sodomy laws are 100+ years old so I dont see the comparison to one in four states introducing virtually the same bill in one year...a bill written by someone who doesnt even live in those states but has an agenda he is trying to spread nationally, and to some degree, succeeding.

I think you underestimate the reach of these guys. Start with the handful of the most extremist, have it spread by the next level of talking heads and internet news sites (the limbaughs, becks, townhall.com, etc) with a larger audience, and it goes viral. Before you know it, it is law in two states and still under consideration in many others.

6. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

First, I see something wrong. I am willing to admit and discuss my issues. I ask honest questions. I am bombarded with conflicting information. I honestly don't know where to start.

Second, given real people (like me) with real issues (some share my issues, some have their own, some simply hate) we all get lumped together and treated with a mocking attitude and condescension. I also see something wrong with that.

7. Borla

This succintly states a huge part of my problem with the political discussion in this country as well, especially as takes place on message boards. There are extremists on each edge that are so out of touch with common sense and reality that it is incredulous. Yet they seem to be the ones getting 90% of the attention and they viciously attack anyone who refuses to parrot their talking points exactly. It's a massively over vocal minority that disgust the rest of us, when the fact is proved over and over again that the huge majority of Americans disagree with both sides, but are too disconnected and disgusted with the political process to be heavily involved.

8. redux

redux Very Tilted

I think you are both are avoiding the issue by dismissing it as nothing more than the work of a small group of extremists that exists on both ends of the political spectrum or falsely mischaracterizing how myself and others here have attempted to discuss the issue.

9. Aceventura

I know there are a variety of views and interpretations, hence the confusion. More important to the point of this thread is the notion that a PR campaign can be effective in promoting fear and hate - fundamentally I disagree.

In my statement regarding religions freedom and conflicts in US law, I worded in such a manner that a variety of religious beliefs could be inserted. My issue is not specific to Islam. For example in the US woman can have abortions that is how our Constitution has been interpreted and is the law. I "fear" extremist Christians who would indiscriminately kill because the law of the land is in conflict with their religious belief. That is intolerable to me. The way Sharia Law is practiced in some Muslim countries is intolerable to me.

Perhaps the problem is in my interpretation of what you folks write or the way you write it. To me it appears as if you lump everyone, even those who have questions, in the same category of being Islamaphobic or whatever you want to call it. Perhaps you can be more precise, so we know what and who you are talking about. I don't hate anyone. And when I use the word "fear", please understand that it may not mean "fear" in the sense that I would run and hide.
    --- merged: Sep 5, 2011 9:01 PM ---
    Well how about this: Take a trip to your favorite Muslim nation practicing Sharia Law with a female companion, and dare not be with her every moment ( or someone you trust with her) that she is in public - and report back to us.

In the US some people may be against gay marriage but would never think they have a license to execute a gay person. Perhaps it is you who is avoiding the issue.

10. redux

redux Very Tilted

Spreading those seeds of hate and having "model" legislation introduced in 13 state legislatures, and more importantly, enacted by the majority in two state legislatures is effective.

I agree that is your (mis)interpretation of what I and others wrote.

11. Borla

Don't confuse dismissing it as rediculous rhetoric with avoiding it.

Get back to me when those laws have been signed by the Governors, upheld in legal challenges (and those are exhausted), and you can show me the specific impact caused solely by their being passed and upheld. Until then it's a bunch of partisan hot air, half coming from those wanting them passed, half coming from those thinking it signals the beginning of mass hysteria.

12. Aceventura

Thanks for the clarification.

13. redux

redux Very Tilted

Again, it appears to me that you are framing the issue in a way that allows you to limit the impact.

The fact alone that these bills have been introduced is enough to spread the hate and fear. And when they are overturned, the response is predictable by those same talking heads and internet newsies...."activist courts."

14. Borla

When the bills aren't signed into law and/or aren't held up in court, both of which checks were put into place for the very purpose of limiting the impact of ridiculousness such as this, and the system works exactly as intended, you are correct, I refuse to run around screaming that the sky is falling. I can't imagine living a life where I got worked up over every proposed bill that I thought could lead to disaster if played out to the worst-imagined scenario possible.

15. redux

redux Very Tilted

"shrug"

We agree that the hate and fear wont likely be institutionalized in law.

We disagree on the impact it still has on the attitudes of many Americans to Muslims...more than just a handful of extremists.

16. Borla

I can agree on the first point and agree to disagree on the second.

:)

17. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

Discounting groups like those in the OP due to some perceived lack of significance can sometimes have the effect of ensuring that groups like those in the OP become larger and more powerful.

18. Borla

If unchecked, sure. Which is why I specifically noted the checks and balances that will prevent it from ever having the impact those behind that movement want it to have.

19. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

Those checks are meaningless when you consider the goals of the organizations in the OP.

20. Borla

No, actually they aren't meaningless. They are a huge bulwark against craziness and knee-jerk reactionism coming from either side of the political spectrum.